Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all prep for winter, thought I'd share my winter tire/wheel set up for the Bolt EV and how it did on a Quick Jack Lift

Wheels- ALY5525U45 Chevrolet Sonic Wheel Black Painted #95937973- 16 X6
Shop around, found brand news ones on Ebay for Under $ 100

Tires - Michelin X Ice3's 205/60R16

This combo seems to work very well and is very close to original tire diameter and fit perfectly.

The Quick Jack is Ideal for tire swaps. Lined up with the Pinch Welds per the Jacking diagram

NO issues and the Rubber blocks the QJ comes with work well.

Now to wash it!

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the center caps from the stock wheels fit these fine. I did order up some gray/black ones though PN: 96 682 160, I'll let you know how they look.
The TPMS senors I used where the GM 13598772. Check on Ebay there are plenty of folks selling them Cheaper then the GM price.

Now that Said, Running this set up, the car drives fine no issues, However the BindSpot Zone Alerts (SBZA) seems to be acting up with the winter wheels/tire setup.

With the winter tires/ wheels are on the car, the SBZA in the mirrors seem to go off randomly with no cars around. I've got some more troubleshooting and measuring to do but I can't believe this set up interferes with the SBZA radar and angles. I swapped back to stock and the SBZA system works fine, no issues.

The new wheels are a 39mm offset so that's 5mm further out then Stock wheels at 44mm. The tire size- height & diameter dimensions are almost identical to stock just a narrower tire. 205/60r16 vs 215/50r17.

Simple solution is to turn off the SBZA but it's a PITA as this resets to on each time you start the car.

I'll post more pictures to compare wheels and try to troubleshoot this issue more to see what could be causing the SBZA false alerts.

Object Detection Description and Operation (Side Blind Zone Alert)
The side blind zone alert (SBZA) system is designed to detect vehicles or other objects that may be located in the vehicles blind spots. This detection is performed by two side object sensors, located behind the rear fascia on each side of the vehicle. When an object is detected in a blind spot, an indicator in the outside rearview mirror will illuminate, notifying the driver that it is unsafe to change lanes.

The SBZA system is made up of the following components:

• Left side object sensor

• Right side object sensor

• Driver door module

• Passenger door module

• Driver outside rearview mirror

• Passenger outside rearview mirror

Side Object Sensors
The side object sensors are each located behind the rear fascia, positioned so that the sensor is pointing out toward the opposite lane. Each sensor is supplied B+ and ground. The right sensor receives an additional ground. Both sensors communicate independently on the serial data line. The serial data enters the right sensor in a pass-thru configuration, the connects to the left sensor. The scan tool is able to individually communicate with each sensor.

When a vehicle or object is detected by a side object sensor, a serial data message is sent to the appropriate door module to illuminate the indicator located in the outside rearview mirror.

Door Modules
The driver and passenger receive serial data messages from the side object sensors. When a message is received indicating that a vehicle or object is in the blind spot, the appropriate door module will apply voltage to the indicator located in the outside rearview mirror, illuminating the indicator. The door module provides a continuous low reference circuit for the indicator.

Outside Rearview Mirror
The outside rearview mirrors each contain an indicator that is controlled by the appropriate door module. This indicator is illuminated when a vehicle or object is position in the vehicle's blind spot.

Side Blind Zone Alert Operation
When the vehicle is started, the indicators located in the outside rearview mirror will briefly illuminate to indicate that the system is operating. The side object sensors cover a zone of approximately one lane over from both sides of the vehicle, 11 ft. or 3.5 m. This zone starts at each side mirror and goes back approximately 16 ft. (5.0 m). The height of the zone is approximately between 1.5 ft. (0.5 m) and 6 ft. (2.0 m) off the ground. When a vehicle or object is detected in this area, the appropriate indicator will be illuminated, indicating to the driver that it is unsafe to change lanes. If a turn signal is activated while the indicator is illuminated, the indicator will flash as a more urgent warning that a lane change may be unsafe.

Foul weather may affect the operation of the SBZA system. Occasional missed alerts can occur under normal circumstances and will increase in wet conditions. The number of missed alerts will increase with increased rainfall or road spray. Heavy rainfall, as well as mud, dirt, snow, ice, or slush build-up on the rear fascia, will completely disable the system.

If the vehicle is towing a trailer or has an object, such as a bicycle rack, attached to the rear of the vehicle, the SBZA system may not function properly and the indicators will remain illuminated at all time.

Side Blind Zone Alert DIC Messages
SIDE BLIND ZONE ALERT SYSTEM OFF
This message indicates that the system has been disabled through the DIC. Refer to the vehicle owners manual for instructions on how to set personalization options on the DIC.

SIDE BLIND ZONE SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE
This message indicates that the system has been disabled because the sensor is blocked or can otherwise not accurately detect vehicles or objects. Such instances may be mud, dirt, snow, ice, or slush build-up on the rear fascia, heavy rainfall, or excessive road spray.

SERVICE SIDE BLIND ZONE ALERT SYSTEM
This message indicates that the system requires service. When the message is displayed, the indicators will remain illuminated at all times, notifying the driver that the SBZA system should not be relied upon when changing lanes.

Anyone else seeing SBZA issues with Aftermarket Wheels & Tires?

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)Now that Said, Running this set up, the car drives fine no issues, However the BindSpot Zone Alerts (SBZA) seems to be acting up with the winter wheels/tire setup.

With the winter tires/ wheels are on the car, the SBZA in the mirrors seem to go off randomly with no cars around. I've got some more troubleshooting and measuring to do but I can't believe this set up interferes with the SBZA radar and angles. I swapped back to stock and the SBZA system works fine, no issues.

The new wheels are a 39mm offset so that's 5mm further out then Stock wheels at 44mm. The tire size- height & diameter dimensions are almost identical to stock just a narrower tire. 205/60r16 vs 215/50r17.(...)
Anyone else seeing SBZA issues with Aftermarket Wheels & Tires?
I am running aftermarket tires, in the stock size with the stock wheels and I have not noticed any issues with the Blind spot detection.

Looking at your setup dimensions: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=205-60-16X6ET39&wheel2=215-50-17X7.5ET44&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm the new setup is very close in size as the old setup, with only 5 millimeters difference in ride height, but with the wheels sticking out 14 millimeters out.

The Blind spot sensor is mounted in the back bumper:
https://www.repairprocedures.com/service-manual/document/2017/chevrolet/bolt-ev/safety-and-security/side-object-sensing-alert-module-replacement/100305935_10145670_10654975_10654982_8_4534956.html

Maybe the wheels are sticking out juuuust enough to catch some of the Blind stop sensor signal and cause some confusion. Did you notice it happening more when/if you turn the front wheels?

Looking at the Service Manual preview, we can see that the sensor is mounted in the bumper with 2 clips and 1 screw and it is accessible by getting on your back under the rear bumper, maybe you can change the angle of the sensor just a little bit, by putting a single washer in between the sensor and bumper and putting he screw back. This will slightly angle the sensor and pull the beam away from the side of the car, while still covering the space needed to provide the side detection. Dunno just an idea?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks timeToy, I could tweak the sensors but kinda want to stay way from that if possible.
I've got more testing and measuring to do this weekend. The winter setup was on the car just for the weekend before I switched back to validate the SBZA issue went away.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks timeToy, I could tweak the sensors but kinda want to stay way from that if possible.
I've got more testing and measuring to do this weekend. The winter setup was on the car just for the weekend before I switched back to validate the SBZA issue went away.

I'll keep you posted on what I find.
Try to just re-mount the rears or the fronts to try to identify where it is coming from.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, So a little more troubleshooting and here is what I found...

Measuring from the rear inside wheel well to the outside stock tire/wheel i get 12.25"
Measuring the Winter tire/ wheel i get 12.5"
so we are talking .25"

Swapping just the rear set with the winter tires, SBZA trips mostly the right side mirror light. Sometimes the Left side but mostly the right side.
Weird....You'd think if both tire/wheels stuck out it would trip both equally.

Swapping back to Stock, no issues works normally.

Tried the washer trick on the right side SBZA sensor, No luck, Right side stays on...

I did find this while searching SBZA/LCA. This is from a CTS manual.

When the System Does Not Seem to Work Properly
The LCA system requires some driving for the system to calibrate to
maximum performance. This
calibration may occur more quickly if the vehicle is driving on a straight
highway road with traffic and roadside

So, I'll drive it for a week or so and see if it corrects itself.
If not, Looks like I'll learn to keep shutting it off until spring tire swap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
*****Update******Problem Resolved*******

Went to Sam's today to pick up some cases of water bottles, On my way back home noticed all was working normally again, no issues with the SBZA.

Started pulling out the cases of water out to see where the weight would trip/ change the angle of the sensor to cause the SBZA issue.

Looks like a simple 20LBs is all it needed to resolve the issue and change the sensor angle to work normally with the winter tire/wheel set up.

Crazy but it works!

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)Looks like a simple 20LBs is all it needed to resolve the issue and change the sensor angle to work normally with the winter tire/wheel set up.(...)
Wow, so 5 millimeters of ride height difference, is all that is need to fool the SBZA system! Good to know, I wonder if lowering will also create this issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if lowering will also cause an issue but it seems rear ride height does effect SBZA.

Now one other thing I was thinking about is when I use the Quick Jack it's extending the suspension just enough that it's riding a bit high in the back and needs to settle back down with a bit of weight.

But that doesn't explain why swapping back to Stock wheels works normally since I use the QJ to swap both wheel /tire sets.

In any case, I can live with the Extra 20lbs for now and maybe in a month or two I'll pull it and see if works normally with out the weight & suspension settled a bit more.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*********** UPDATE***********So much for my Weight and Angle theory....

A few days later it came back again, Regardless of weight in the back. Throw that theory out the window.

I realized the days it was working normally with the winter wheel/tires it was raining.

So sure enough on sunny days the SBZA passenger light was on constantly.

So I experimented some more by soaking the rear wheel well down and yes the problem went away.
I tried this 3 days in a row and could verify it would work normally if the wheel well was wet. As soon as it was dry again it would trip the SBZA passenger side sensor....

Crazy right? Believe me I know...

So was water on the wheel well blocking/deflecting the radar signal enough for the system to work normally!???

The Only TBS that seems to be related is below....

17-NA-097 Side Blind Zone Issues or False/Incorrect Side Mirror Notification/Warnings

NOTE: This bulletin ONLY applies to 2017 Bolts equipped with Side Active Safety Obstacle Detection Enhanced (RPO UKC)

NOTE: This condition may potentially be experienced after rear fascia removal/reinstallation or rear fascia replacement.

Condition/Concern- Some customers may comment when driving, the side mirror indicates there is a vehicle present when there actually is not

Root Cause- This condition may be due to missing aluminum butyl tape that is located on the bottom of both left and right object sensing alert module bracket. This tape is important to the performance of the module object sensing.

Corrective measures- Install specialized aluminum butyl tape patches on the bottom of the object sensing alert module brackets. Use PN# 42563361 (LH) and 42563362 (RH)

WOT

Both of mine however looked OK

So I decided to add a bit more around the side of the sensor toward the wheel well. I took a bit of foam and wrapped it with some Foil tap and placed it up there.

It seems to work. I drove around and tested with traffic, and the system works normally for me. No false readings, no constant SBZA light on the passenger side.

I was pretty liberal with the foam and tape. I just used some left over foam from my Seat Bottom upgrade.
It's about 1inch think, cut a piece 1'x1' and wrapped both sides with the foil tape and stuck it up next to the sensor between the wheel well.

It seems to do the trick. I'll keep an Eye on it....

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Wow, so 5 millimeters of ride height difference, is all that is need to fool the SBZA system! Good to know, I wonder if lowering will also create this issue.
I had some weight in the back (over 100 lbs) and my sensor was alerting today.
I'll need to remove the wight and retest in the same area to make sure it wasn't
something else causing the light to come on. The rear ride height is pretty low :eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
LOVE the look of those Sonic wheels. I'd consider them for winter OR summer setup.

Questions:

1) How do I know if my Bolt has SBZA? I assume that's part of a package? Sorry I don't have it yet (its on the truck).
2) If you went 215 / 55 tires size (TR tells me this is the same as the stock) do you think that would make any difference?

Thank you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks XJ12. I was thinking I did not order that one but then I realized when I selected the DC package II, that it automatically included the DC package.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts