Well, I did it. It’s not pretty, but it’s done. Other than some slight wrinkling of the headliner which I hope will disappear with time, I also broke the round disk part of the passenger side sub visor mount. It all went back together so I may not even bother replacing it later.
The one major thing that I had not considered is that various wiring bundles are glued to the headliner. I even tried a heat gun to get the glue soft enough so I can pull the wiring off. In the end I left the wiring where it was and just lowered the headliner to install the butyl / foil sound deadener then the foam liner on top of that.
The first thing I did was to remove the negative battery terminal. Don’t want airbags accidentally going off on me.
I started by removing all the hardware on the roof of the car: Hanger hooks, visors, visor clips, the oh-my-god handle, and the 2 light fixtures.
I popped the A pillar trims off which keeps the headliner in place. Then I removed the screws from the middle and back pillars in order to remove those pillar trims.
Once there is nothing holding the headliner in place, I pull the door gaskets near the headliner down. Then I pulled the headliner down starting from the back at the trunk. There’s a bunch of wiring connections there for the GPS, AM/FM, and Sirius antennas that need to be disconnected or the headliner stays put.
I did it the hard way, slipping material between the headliner and onto the roof. Rolling this stuff down was an exercise best made by a contortionist, but I did it.
Here are the pics:
All screws are T-15.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk