Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an annoying squeak/creaking in the rear of my 2017 Bolt since we got it. The dealer admitted he heard it, while driving, but couldn't isolate it. We just happened to acquire a 2018 Bolt that is totally quiet, so I started some comparisons between the two rear hatches. It was immediately apparent that the plastic bezel surrounding the hatch window inside was making the sound. Where ever it was mildly touched, it would squeak. The mild deformations of the hatch at it the car goes over bumps causes it to rub the painted metal under it. The 2018 Bolt exhibited no squeak wherever it was pressed ! Obviously, they managed to insulate the bezel on the 2018.

Next step involved spraying the area between the bezel and metal frame with silicon spray and wiping any drips away. It immediately quieted the squeaking on the road. The spray may be a temporary fix, since the fluid tends to evaporate. A more permanent fix would be to slightly lift the Bezel from the frame and spray lithium grease in, then tap the bezel into position again.

Hope this helps someone else with this annoying problem...

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I've had an annoying squeak/creaking in the rear of my 2017 Bolt since we got it. The dealer admitted he heard it, while driving, but couldn't isolate it. We just happened to acquire a 2018 Bolt that is totally quiet, so I started some comparisons between the two rear hatches. It was immediately apparent that the plastic bezel surrounding the hatch window inside was making the sound. Where ever it was mildly touched, it would squeak. The mild deformations of the hatch at it the car goes over bumps causes it to rub the painted metal under it. The 2018 Bolt exhibited no squeak wherever it was pressed ! Obviously, they managed to insulate the bezel on the 2018.

Next step involved spraying the area between the bezel and metal frame with silicon spray and wiping any drips away. It immediately quieted the squeaking on the road. The spray may be a temporary fix, since the fluid tends to evaporate. A more permanent fix would be to slightly lift the Bezel from the frame and spray lithium grease in, then tap the bezel into position again.

I’ve had the same sound on our 2017 as well, and I seem to recall @Sean Nelson had the same issue that was identified by his service guys. Problem is, I’m not a hundred percent sure where I should be spraying to get rid of it. Would you be able to post a picture where exactly one should apply the silicone spray to? Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Follow-up to squeak treatment: Drove the Bolt over my favorite bumpy road, and the squeaking was significantly reduced from yesterday. Today, I lifted the rear hatch and attacked the plastic surround for the rear window aggressively. Took a plastic putty knife and lifted the edge slightly. I then put the thin nozzle that came with the silicone spray can well into the cavity, and sprayed it well. Repeated about 5 times, working my way around plastic surround. Lots of dripping, but it soaks up quickly with paper towels. My follow-up test drive was completely silent ! I'm going to leave the windows open on the Bolt tonight to let the interior purge of the silicone smell.

Any further problems with the plastic surround, and I'll take it to the dealer so they can remove it and insulate it properly. But, hopefully this takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a timely post for me to read as our 2017 Bolt is going into the dealer for a THIRD time tomorrow for an irritating rear squeak!!! They have not been able to isolate it or get rid of it so I’m going to tell them this info! Thanks so much. I will report back ?

·
Registered
5 Posts

My 2018 Bolt, had the same creaking issue.
Your solution, silicon spray between the bezel and metal, solved the super annoying creak when hitting bumps in the road. Now my EV is super quite again. I can't thank you enough.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Can someone take a few pictures of this area? I am unsure where you are talking about when you say Bezel. Are you spraying Silicone spray Inside the big plastic cover on the inside of the hatch?

I have paint being rubbed off on the frame of the car where the hatch sits on. I don't think this is what you are talking about. The BIG rattling noise I have is one of the srew in plastic bumper thing on the hatch it self. I screwed it in 7 turns but afraid that the hatch will rub on paint even more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Years ago my 2017 had a hatch area creak over bumps. Like others, my first instinct was the plastic around the glass. But ultimately I found that the whole hatch door itself just wasn't very secure when latched.

There are adjustable bumpers, one on each side of the hatch, that you can screw in or out. On my car, even fully extended, they just didn't seam to make a snug fit when the hatch was closed.

So, on the "landing pads" for those adjustable bumpers, I added a piece of dense rubber (like gym floor tiles). Now when the hatch closes, it's a really tight fit, so it can't flex and squirm. Fixed my noises years ago, hasn't been a problem since. Not sure if that's the same thing others are experiencing...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just got the bolt back after 1 month in the shop to fix a variety of issues, hatch rubbing paint & rattling, tapping on acceleration and deceleration, front and rear Axle Ping/Plink/squeak/twist sounds, and a few other minor things.
Hatch got a new latch mechanism, tape on the bumper markers and it still rattles.
Rear & maybe still the front has classic Axle noise.
Clunking in front of car, I don't think it is the dash.
Here are all my videos I just made so others will hear the noises and know they are not normal
Please excuse the videos, 4 of them, and my 1 F word, it's rough and I didn't edit it as it will be part of my court proceedings with GM.
turn up volume or put on headphones so you can hear better. Videos info lists where you hear the issues on each video.
I hope this helps others.
Click on Bolt Issues after 'Fix' playlist

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks to this posting a few years back, I have been able to isolate the annoying creak that I have had to listen to every time I drive over a speed bump (which are many in my town) for the last couple of months. I have a 2019 Bolt and it has been very quiet up until this annoying creak appeared. I used some self adhesive furniture floor pads to stick onto the 4 flat rubber bumpers on the inside of the hatch opening. This must have created a tighter seal when closed and did not allow the hatch door to flex when going over bumps. It may not last indefinitely, but for now it seems to be doing the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts