Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I live on south Padre Island at the bottom of Texas. It's 300 miles to Central Texas. I was looking at plugshare and the others and don't see any CCS combo chargers south of San Antonio. my question is if I'm driving from the bottom of Texas to the middle of Texas and can only stop at a J-1772 charger how long will I have to stop?

Having trouble finding the rate of charge without type of plug on a 2020 Bolt.

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Hi I live on south Padre Island at the bottom of Texas. It's 300 miles to Central Texas. I was looking at plugshare and the others and don't see any CCS combo chargers south of San Antonio. my question is if I'm driving from the bottom of Texas to the middle of Texas and can only stop at a J-1772 charger how long will I have to stop?

Having trouble finding the rate of charge without type of plug on a 2020 Bolt.

Thanks, Mark
If you drive conservatively you should be able to get 4 mi/kWh, so figure 250 miles on a charge to be safe, so you will need at least another 50 miles worth, so another 12.5 kWh The Bolt will charge at 7+ kW on a good 240 volt J-1772. Some on 208 volts will get you more like 6+ kW. Two hours will get you that 50 miles at ~4 miles/kWh

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi Mark, welcome to the forum!!!
If possible it would be good for You to contact Electricity America, Chargepoint and EVGO, let them know You're hoping for a DCFC in the area. One of the closest DCFC is a 25kwh unit in Corpus Cristi. But given only 1 unit 100 miles from You they are definitely under served! Also, make sure to check out Plugshare app and I would strongly suggest investigating a Tesla Adapter (will give You around 20-25 miles of range per hour). I know there are a lot of those chargers down in that part of the state!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Type of plug could be : j1772 = L2 (25mph range), Tesla Destination (assume You will buy the $200 adapter)=L2 (25 mph range added), CCS (assume You will get $750 option and visual check for orange flap below the other connection= DCFC = 180-90 mph range added (most L2 are Free , Most DCFC You pay). Hope those descriptions help sort out Plugshare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I'm at the corpus Christi Harley dealer now didn't realize this was only 24khz. I'll be here till 8pm probably. Just sitting in the parking lot. Hoping I'll love the car more when I get back to the island and worry less about range anxiety. Provided I make it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes that's what I meant by "slow DCFCs". Remember to keep speeds low and You'll definitely make it back to South Padre! I would just charge to 100% to be on the safe side and since You're not familiar with the cars behavior.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have found it to sometimes be a challenge to be patient with the charging. Try to make best use of time, eat , go-to restroom, read , make phone calls etc. Assume the final leg of trip went okay?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did get some food while I was there and watched a few YouTube videos. I left when the charge level reached 225 miles and made it down to the island with 50 miles to spare. Overall pretty darn happy with this car!!! Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't know if you've discovered abetterrouteplanner.com, but it can help with your trip planning. It's also available as an app for your phone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts