Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Musk's largest rocket to date will test launch today (Feb 6th 2018) from the Cape at 1:30PM Eastern Time.
Elon says "50/50 chance of success"...

Watch live at:
http://www.spacex.com/webcast

or on youtube:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Interesting note.....

"The payload for Falcon Heavy’s demonstration mission is SpaceX CEO and Lead Designer Elon Musk’s midnight-cherry Tesla Roadster. Demonstration missions like this one typically carry steel or concrete blocks as mass simulators, but SpaceX decided it would be more worthwhile to launch something fun and without irreplaceable sentimental value: a red Roadster for the red planet. Following launch, Falcon Heavy’s second stage will attempt to place the Roadster into a precessing Earth-Mars elliptical orbit around the sun."

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Launch delayed till 3:45PM Eastern.....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it's on for a 3:45 launch... 6min away... webcast is live now...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perfect launch and the two side boosters nailed a synchronized landing back at the Cape!!!

The core is on it's way to Mars/Earth/Sun orbit..... wow!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just love these guys. Reminds me of the excitement I had as a kid watching the Mercury and Gemini launches, with way better imagery and music. People throw around the term "Rocket Scientist" way too much. These guys are the real deal.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Perfect launch and the two side boosters nailed a synchronized landing back at the Cape!!!

The core is on it's way to Mars/Earth/Sun orbit..... wow!!

I think the "core" was supposed to also return and land on the boat but the feed cut off due to vibration with no personnel on board. Maybe it's the pod that stays up there with the Roadster. I've heard rumors that the core may have failed on landing but not confirmed. Regardless, super pumped about what I did see with the Roadster in space with Earth in the background. The boosters landing simultaneously exactly on their mark almost looked fake it went so perfectly. The concept of re-using the rockets is a perfect example of First Principle thinking where the billions that would have been scrapped on every flight ends up costing $200k for fuel along with soft costs.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
second stage will coast for six hours before firing up again. this will be their longest coast prior to a second firing of the second stage. hope the fuel doesn't freeze or the liquid oxygen doesn't boil off before then.

edit: second firing successfully raised orbit and it's the third firing that will have the long coast.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the "core" was supposed to also return and land on the boat but the feed cut off due to vibration with no personnel on board. Maybe it's the pod that stays up there with the Roadster. I've heard rumors that the core may have failed on landing but not confirmed. Regardless, super pumped about what I did see with the Roadster in space with Earth in the background. The boosters landing simultaneously exactly on their mark almost looked fake it went so perfectly.
Yes, you're correct... the payload (with the roadster, etc..) is going into earth/mars/sun orbit.

It was revealed later by Musk that the center core failed to land on the drone barge. Only one of it's three engines fired- it hit the water at 300mph and damaged the barge too...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/6/16980954/spacex-falcon-heavy-rocket-middle-core-failed-landing

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I was impressed by how synchronized the booster descent and landing was. You'd think that with the speeds and tolerances involved one or the other would end up at least a bit ahead of the other.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I was impressed by how synchronized the booster descent and landing was. You'd think that with the speeds and tolerances involved one or the other would end up at least a bit ahead of the other.
According to Elon's live interview, the boosters were slightly staggered so their radars wouldn't interfere with each other on the landing(s).

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
watching those boosters land was frickin magical. it looks like a movie. those engineers must be so proud.
Indeed they must! On the other hand, the third "core" booster crashed because basically it ran out of gas. Back to the drawing board... ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts