Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to make a road trip and worried about a flat. I was thinking about buying a tire mounted and inflated on a wheel (America's tires, Big-O-tires) and carrying it with a jack (All costs under $250 altogether). Sure, I'll have to put the tire in the back area behind me and the whole thing will definitely add weight but no more than one passenger. I'll be driving alone. Is this a dumb idea?:(

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There’s an existing thread on exactly this topic under the Wheels sub-forum. Lots of good ideas on spare tire options, lots of ideas on storage.

You can also click on the search icon at upper right and enter “spare tire” as the search subject.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I carried a spare in a LEAF like that for 3 years. Good for piece of mind.

I would consider ditching the styrofoam thingy and putting it there....the LEAF had no such area.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you use my route (in the aforementioned thread) you can do it for far less than $250, using recycled parts from eBay. Personally, i like breathing easier.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I was thinking about buying a tire mounted and inflated on a wheel (America's tires, Big-O-tires) and carrying it with a jack
I always carry an inflated full-sized OEM Michelin self-seal tire mounted on an OEM Bolt wheel. It fits into the lower cargo compartment and the "false floor" that came with my Premiere Bolt fits right into place on top of it:

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
where do you keep the jack and lug wrench....and where did you get those?
I just put them beside the tire in the lower compartment.I bought a breaker bar and appropriately-sized socket at Canadian Tire, and I found a Chevy S10 jack at an auto wrecker for the princely sum of $5.00. I also carry ice scrapers, a Li-Ion battery booster, and a few other odds and ends down there. Installing the false floor on top of it all gives me a nice neat cargo compartment.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I always carry an inflated full-sized OEM Michelin self-seal tire mounted on an OEM Bolt wheel.
Where did you buy the hub/rim? (the metal part in the centre, to be painstakingly clear ... ;) )

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Where did you buy the hub/rim? (the metal part in the centre, to be painstakingly clear ... ;) )
"Wheels" are metal, "tires" are rubber in my book.

I ordered the wheel from the parts department at my dealer here in Vancouver BC. It took about a month to get the part. I also ordered a TPMS valve stem from them, and then when the wheel arrived I discovered there's also a little cap with the Chevy logo that goes in the middle that you need, unless you want to pop out the one on the existing wheel and transfer it over when you change the tire.

Note that GM applies a "core charge" to the wheel (unless you have another wheel to return to them).

The wheel was around $550 (including core charge), the TPMS valve stem was around $70 and the cap was around $30.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
Just curious, Sean. Do you know how much the spare plus the jack adds in weight?
I just went out and weighed stuff on an old bathroom spring scale. The stock wheel and tire weighed 45 pounds. The S-10 jack, the two wheel chocks and lug wrench that came with it, all together weigh 15 pounds, wrapped in an old throw rug to prevent rattling around when stored in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I bought a 15" steel wheel intended for a Chevy Sonic from Tire Rack and had them mount a 205/65R-15 regular (non-temporary) tire on it. Cost me less than $150 including shipping.

One benefit of this is that 205/65R-15 has the exact same diameter as the stock 215/50R-17 tire size so I could conceivably use it on the front wheels if I needed to and since it's not a temporary spare I could drive on it for as long and as fast as I needed to.

It just arrived so I haven't had the chance to test fit it yet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Since I have snows on steelies, 4 extra wheels, I might just carry a snow in the summer, and a reg wheel in the winter....I'm on the fence. I guess maybe a couple miles range penalty at HW speeds?

They are about 1/2" different in diameter, but prob aok on the rear. I'll prob get a jack and torque wrench anyways so I can do the seasonal 4 tire change myself.

I was going to cut down a piece of 3/8" hardboard to replace the styrofoam cargo floor, and it will buy me another 1/2" of cargo room in the vertical direction.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have a full size spare in my trunk also. I find that I have plenty of space above it for groceries or whatever. But I at least put it in a hefty bag to protect the carpeting.. geeze get on that trash bag Sean.

I think mine is around 35 pounds.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I have a full size spare in my trunk also. I find that I have plenty of space above it for groceries or whatever. But I at least put it in a hefty bag to protect the carpeting.. geeze get on that trash bag Sean.
:D
It doesn't show it in my photo, but I bought two of the cargo compartment rubber mats. One goes on the floor of the lower cargo compartment, one goes on top of the false floor.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
*COUGH*Draw-string tire cover*COUGH*

Reactions: dcp123

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Better idea?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.