Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced the factory speakers with a set of Infinity Reference speakers on our non-Bose 2017 Premier. I went with these because it got decent reviews, plus it has an angled tweeter, which allows you to bring the sound stage higher than knee level. It also went on sale (as a possible price mistake) on Amazon for less than $40 for a pair so I jumped. Other accessories I picked up to make it a truly plug-and-play affair was a set of Scosche speaker brackets and speaker harnesses (I went with the American International SH3802 that I picked up off of eBay).

As posted by other upgraders here, the door panels are held by 2 #7 hex screws, one located in the door pull cup, and another behind the door handle. The best way to release the panel at the door handle location is to insert a thin pry tool or flathead in the upper posterior corner - it just pops off afterwards. Then, using a pronged pry tool, I started with the lower front door clips, moved along the entire lower panel then moved upwards. As noted by @LaBrother previously, the top clips are fastened in an odd way, and I didn't want to break anything so I ended up replacing the speakers while just prying and propping open the door panels with a shim. This had the unfortunate side effect of not allowing me to install Dynamats as I had originally intended.

The speakers are held in place by a single #7 hex screw. Interesting note, the factory speakers (at least the non-Bose we had) are rated as 20W 4-ohm ones, but have a pretty hefty appearing voice coil, compared to the factory ones in our Subaru. Forgot to mention, in lieu of the Dynamat, I used a set of foam rings to help keep the sound isolated into the cabin (and not spilling over into the door panel causing unwanted vibration) - worked as intended.

The sound quality is vastly improved. Certain nuances in some of the songs I listen to were brought forward, and my commute is a much more pleasurable experience now. The factory in-dash tweeters seem to be OK for the higher frequencies for now, and the built-in tweeters on the coax speakers help them out a great deal. It doesn't seem like I need an amp for now, but certainly a DSP is in the cards (the Bolt's built-in EQ leaves a lot to be desired). Also might think about a small sub, which I plan on placing somewhere in the cabin, but that might be months to a year away from fruition. For now I'm really happy with the simple, 2-hour DIY upgrade.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is excellent. I've found the sound a little lacking on my LT. You only did the front doors?
All 4 doors. Just reviewed my receipts, it appears that I only spent a little over $100 to do the entire upgrade. Interesting note, I took the Bolt in for the squeaky axle issue today and they loaned me a Malibu. The sound is so much flatter on the factory speakers, which I would assume are the same ones found in the Bolt. The simple upgrade is so worth it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took a quick photo of a pair right before installing. Here they are mounted on the bracket adapter posted earlier. The speaker harness adapters are also visible (though not yet attached to the speakers).

Wasn’t able to take a pic of them installed because of the tight working quarters. But several weeks into it, the music is just amazing. Especially since I had that loaner for a while, I had a definite point of comparison from a GM product. For those with Spotify subscriptions, there’s actually a short playlist by Bowers & Wilkins to test car audio quality (it was made for BMW I think). Playing that playlist in the loaner (with stock speakers) compared to the Bolt with the new speakers is like night and day.

Next up- amp and sub...
59C25CA2-D406-4A4D-AECD-F86DBCA6E0DE.jpeg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Took a quick photo of a pair right before installing. Here they are mounted on the bracket adapter posted earlier. The speaker harness adapters are also visible (though not yet attached to the speakers).
I'm guessing from the angled tweeter these are the IX and not the EX model, correct? Infinity Reference REF-6532IX

If so, currently Crutchfield has a sale on these. While you got a heck of a price that isn't likely to be found again (was that a Camelcamelcamel alert by chance?), they are $75 / pair and that includes the adapter brackets, wire adapters, and some handy install instructions. Speakers are $10 cheaper on Amazon, but the other parts cost more in total.

For $150 for front and rear speakers, brackets, and wire adapters... I think this is still a good deal.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing from the angled tweeter these are the IX and not the EX model, correct? Infinity Reference REF-6532IX

If so, currently Crutchfield has a sale on these. While you got a heck of a price that isn't likely to be found again (was that a Camelcamelcamel alert by chance?), they are $75 / pair and that includes the adapter brackets, wire adapters, and some handy install instructions. Speakers are $10 cheaper on Amazon, but the other parts cost more in total.

For $150 for front and rear speakers, brackets, and wire adapters... I think this is still a good deal.
Yup! These are the IX speakers. It really helps bring up the soundstage. Brief note: although they are angled, it is fixed (unlike some higher end ones that the angled tweeter can rotate on its axis), so you have to commit to a position before installing.

I had my eye on these from Crutchfield for the longest time, and they happened to be a Lightning Deal when I checked on Amazon before buying from CF. But yes, for $75 a pair (with all the extras that CF throws in for free), it’s a pretty decent deal. (As mentioned, since I had to buy the brackets and harnesses myself my total for 4 speakers came out to just a little under $100.) These speakers were $129 a pair when I almost bought them from Crutchfield.

Also as an update, it seems like these speakers need about 2 weeks of daily use to break them in. The lower frequencies were initially a bit distorted but are coming out cleaner now. From the B&W playlist, “Royals” by Lorde and “Let It Go” by deadmau5 were the two tracks that had noticeable improvement after the break-in period.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup! These are the IX speakers. It really helps bring up the soundstage. Brief note: although they are angled, it is fixed (unlike some higher end ones that the angled tweeter can rotate on its axis), so you have to commit to a position before installing.

I had my eye on these from Crutchfield for the longest time, and they happened to be a Lightning Deal when I checked on Amazon before buying from CF. But yes, for $75 a pair (with all the extras that CF throws in for free), it’s a pretty decent deal. (As mentioned, since I had to buy the brackets and harnesses myself my total for 4 speakers came out to just a little under $100.) These speakers were $129 a pair when I almost bought them from Crutchfield.

Also as an update, it seems like these speakers need about 2 weeks of daily use to break them in. The lower frequencies were initially a bit distorted but are coming out cleaner now. From the B&W playlist, “Royals” by Lorde and “Let It Go” by deadmau5 were the two tracks that had noticeable improvement after the break-in period.
I am from Ontario so the costs for me are far greater.

Crutchfield prices are $159.99CDN PER PAIR but they include free housing and wiring so that's good of them. I would do all four doors....so with everything I need it will cost me $400CDN.

Ouch.....Will have to wait until next payday.

What about the tiny speakers in the A pillers?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am from Ontario so the costs for me are far greater.

Crutchfield prices are $159.99CDN PER PAIR but they include free housing and wiring so that's good of them. I would do all four doors....so with everything I need it will cost me $400CDN.

Ouch.....Will have to wait until next payday.

What about the tiny speakers in the A pillers?
Yup that’s similar to the price I almost paid for them until I lucked out on the Amazon deal. Regarding the dash tweeters - I left those alone for now. It’s a pain to get to, and so far I’m happy enough with the tweeters in the coax door speakers to continue leaving them alone for the time being. As the days go on though, I’m beginning to itch more and more for a dedicated subwoofer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup that’s similar to the price I almost paid for them until I lucked out on the Amazon deal. Regarding the dash tweeters - I left those alone for now. It’s a pain to get to, and so far I’m happy enough with the tweeters in the coax door speakers to continue leaving them alone for the time being. As the days go on though, I’m beginning to itch more and more for a dedicated subwoofer.
well keep us informed and how. Bring pics! 😜

·
Registered
97 Posts
MDBolt a concern has arisen. I ordered just one set of the speakers you got from Crutchfield. I have not seen them yet but a friend had told me to be careful. He says that there are shallow speakers and fat speakers. Long story short....he has concerns that the newer speakers will interfere with my door windows. Can you confirm/deny this?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MDBolt a concern has arisen. I ordered just one set of the speakers you got from Crutchfield. I have not seen them yet but a friend had told me to be careful. He says that there are shallow speakers and fat speakers. Long story short....he has concerns that the newer speakers will interfere with my door windows. Can you confirm/deny this?
No concerns at all. My windows are able to open all the way with the new speakers installed. Enjoy! Don’t forget that these speakers need a couple of weeks of constant playing (I’d recommend at least 30 on the volume level) to break them in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
30!?!?! I better bring some soft ear plugs. LOL!!!

I will put these in my front doors first and if I like them....then I will do the rear doors.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
30!?!?! I better bring some soft ear plugs. LOL!!!

I will put these in my front doors first and if I like them....then I will do the rear doors.
That’s what I thought too, but once these were in, I’d constantly have them at 30-35. Seems to be the sweet spot for the speakers in terms of clarity and volume sufficient enough to drown out road noise.
On the Bolt’s built in amp the sound gets distorted above 40. I think that might be because they wanted to protect the paper cones in the stock speakers from blowing out at high volumes. It feels like the bass is somewhat suppressed above 40. So I’m definitely considering an amp very soon.
By the way I did the same thing, went front speakers first, loved them, then finished out the rears to fill out the sound nicely.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you have to replace the clips in your door? From the Imgur shot that someone sent me it says that you MUST replace the door clips even if they are not damaged.....
Nope! But remember that I did not take off the door panel entirely. The top part was still attached to the door while I replaced them. Just used a shim to prop open the lower part while I worked.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last post edited.
Thanks for posting the pics. Yup, I’m pretty sure I never made it to the clips with the way I did it (the one labeled as “2” in your images), I only got to the retainers. I recall popping open 8 of the 9. That was enough to prop open the door panel, insert a shim, and do the replacement in that fashion.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Getting real annoyed here. This connector will NOT RELEASE. Been at it for over an hour now.
I did encounter difficulty in 1 out of the 4 speaker connectors. Ended up using a pair of pliers to slowly release. A lot of left right motion while gingerly pulling up. Don’t forget to disengage that red locking mechanism.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts