Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Heh. I broke them off by accident. 馃槩

Ah well. Both speakers are in and sound great!!!
Glad it worked out! By the way, the best equalizer settings for these speakers that I鈥檝e found after testing with a pink noise audio file paired with a freeware app RTA: treble 0, mid +4, bass +3, with fader/balance both at zero (essentially leave the listening position dead center).

Registered
Anyone know what those clips are called? Beside a PITA? ( pain in the arse ). I would like to replace them or fix them.

Registered
Glad it worked out! By the way, the best equalizer settings for these speakers that I鈥檝e found after testing with a pink noise audio file paired with a freeware app RTA: treble 0, mid +4, bass +3, with fader/balance both at zero (essentially leave the listening position dead center).
Well since I only did the first doors...I will have to wait until I can save enough for the back doors.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
???

No ones what those connectors are called?
I鈥檓 going to assume it鈥檚 called a door speaker harness. Checked on GMPartsDirect and found that their OEM replacement includes the ENTIRE door wiring assembly and costs $85. Not worth the trouble at that cost,
IMO.

by the way, how were you able to hook up the speakers after breaking one of the Connectors? Did you just splice the speaker wire directly?

Registered
I looked. There was no secondary tabs.
There definitely is. It鈥檚 a lever latch. See the pictures below. First shows what the tab does when depressed. Second shows it in it's neutral position. Third shows the actual part that needs to be pressed. Fourth shows the piece on the male connector that the tab latches against.

Registered
Well, I suppose it depends on how you're oriented, but yes. I think of it more as pressing down. I've annotated the image in the previous post to clarify the exact part. In that orientation, it's as if you're pressing the tab "into" the image.

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Well, I suppose it depends on how you're oriented, but yes. I think of it more as pressing down. I've annotated the image in the previous post to clarify the exact part. In that orientation, it's as if you're pressing the tab "into" the image.
Thanks for sharing this, I didn't see this when I was doing my speaker swap and must've lucked in to pressing 3 of the 4. (As mentioned, I had a heck of a time pulling out one of them.)

Registered
Took a quick photo of a pair right before installing. Here they are mounted on the bracket adapter posted earlier. The speaker harness adapters are also visible (though not yet attached to the speakers).

Wasn鈥檛 able to take a pic of them installed because of the tight working quarters. But several weeks into it, the music is just amazing. Especially since I had that loaner for a while, I had a definite point of comparison from a GM product. For those with Spotify subscriptions, there鈥檚 actually a short playlist by Bowers & Wilkins to test car audio quality (it was made for BMW I think). Playing that playlist in the loaner (with stock speakers) compared to the Bolt with the new speakers is like night and day.

Next up- amp and sub...
View attachment 27245
I finally took the hour to do the install while I was home one day last week. Loving the improvement from these speakers.

Looking back at this picture, I notice we mounted the speakers differently. I didn't pay attention to the angled position of the brackets in the doors... so I mounted my speaker to the bracket with the adjuster button for the tweeter to the bottom (90* from what is shown in this picture). I'm not (yet) curious enough to pull them out and rotate them as I'm happy with the sound so far.

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
I finally took the hour to do the install while I was home one day last week. Loving the improvement from these speakers.

Looking back at this picture, I notice we mounted the speakers differently. I didn't pay attention to the angled position of the brackets in the doors... so I mounted my speaker to the bracket with the adjuster button for the tweeter to the bottom (90* from what is shown in this picture). I'm not (yet) curious enough to pull them out and rotate them as I'm happy with the sound so far.
Can鈥檛 remember if I snapped a photo of the rear or front speakers, but I have the two sets angled differently. If I remember correctly the fronts are angled straight upwards as installed, while the rears are angled up and forward (to project the sound to the front of the cabin).

Glad you liked them too! I鈥檝e already bought the amp to provide more juice to them since they鈥檙e definitely capable of more than what the factory amp provides, but I鈥檓 still deciding on where to put it.

Registered
Hey MDBolt if you live in a cold place like I do ( Ontario ) have you found that the speakers don't work so well in the cold? They rattle and sometimes I have to turn them up to 45-50 to get them to kick in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Hey MDBolt if you live in a cold place like I do ( Ontario ) have you found that the speakers don't work so well in the cold? They rattle and sometimes I have to turn them up to 45-50 to get them to kick in.
I have noticed some rattling when cranking up the bass in the colder weather (but not as cold as you since I live in MD), which may be from some of the sound foam contracting. I might have to squeeze in some more in the future. But no, haven鈥檛 experienced the issue of them refusing to work until cranking it higher. Perhaps one of your connectors came loose? I recall reading one of your earlier posts that one of the connectors broke. Might be worth checking.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Also, the Reference tweeters are half off today on CF as part of the holiday promotion:

May consider picking it up to complete the set, especially since I鈥檒l be installing an amp soon. The stock tweeters are likely to blow with the higher loads.

Registered
Thanks for the heads up but that appears to be an American deal only. However if you DO pick some up let us know how you installed them. Would be VERY interesting to follow.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts