Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for the heads up but that appears to be an American deal only. However if you DO pick some up let us know how you installed them. Would be VERY interesting to follow.
Bit the bullet and ordered a pair last night - ended up being a reasonable call because today they're back up to $75. Will report back here with pictures whenever I get the time to install them. It looks to be a lot more challenging than the door speakers.

Also was randomly thinking about your speaker issue, @Digi and the more I thought about it, the most logical explanation would be loose power connections. That would explain why you need to supply so much power from the amp just to get them started. The circuit is likely still connected since you're still able to produce sound by cranking it up, albeit at a likely compromised fashion at that since you need to supply the additional power to produce it.

If that ends up being the case, and you still haven't found OEM replacement harness connectors, might be worthwhile to just splice the wires on directly using Posi-taps or something similar.

·
Registered
374 Posts
MDBolt. It was just the drivers side speaker that was doing it. Since it is now a little warmer it has not done it. But when it get colder it does.

Have you done the tweeter install yet?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was looking at the speaker filters on crutchfield hoping to find a good match for the stock head unit. Would 3 or 4 ohms be preferable? Would a low max power and higher sensitivity make the most of the stock electronics? So far a lot of JL Audio, JBL and Rockford Fostgate coming up.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
MDBolt. It was just the drivers side speaker that was doing it. Since it is now a little warmer it has not done it. But when it get colder it does.

Have you done the tweeter install yet?
Nope, haven’t had time to open things up yet to install the tweeters. The holidays have been crazy busy for us, but I’ll definitely update the thread once I do. Also plan on taking pictures as promised.

Were you able to check your connections to that speaker to see if anything was loose? Another potential point of looseness would be at the spade connectors at the speaker terminals.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I was looking at the speaker filters on crutchfield hoping to find a good match for the stock head unit. Would 3 or 4 ohms be preferable? Would a low max power and higher sensitivity make the most of the stock electronics? So far a lot of JL Audio, JBL and Rockford Fostgate coming up.
In my case, I did go for the higher sensitivity and didn’t need a ridiculously high power rating. 3 or 4 ohm should be fine. The stock speakers (at least for the non-Bose variety since that’s what I have) are 4 ohm 20W ones. No idea on sensitivity. The specs for the Infinity Reference speakers as installed in our Bolt:
3 ohm, 60W RMS, 93 dB sensitivity, and frequency response: 53-21,000 Hz

As I’ve mentioned, the speaker swap alone has resulted in appreciable gains in both power and clarity with the stock amp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my case, I did go for the higher sensitivity and didn’t need a ridiculously high power rating. 3 or 4 ohm should be fine. The stock speakers (at least for the non-Bose variety since that’s what I have) are 4 ohm 20W ones. No idea on sensitivity. The specs for the Infinity Reference speakers as installed in our Bolt:
3 ohm, 60W RMS, 93 dB sensitivity, and frequency response: 53-21,000 Hz

As I’ve mentioned, the speaker swap alone has resulted in appreciable gains in both power and clarity with the stock amp.
Thanks for that info. So if you went with a two way Infiniti does that make the dash tweeters redundant?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks for that info. So if you went with a two way Infiniti does that make the dash tweeters redundant?
Yes technically it does. However, I do plan on installing an amp in the future, and seeing how low the power ratings are on the door speakers, I’m going to guess the dash tweeters are around the same. The new amp will likely blow out the factory dash speakers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ordered another set of the same speakers from Crutchfield Canada.
I think I know where I screwed up with the front speakers....I put the speakers “inside” the plastic door frame instead of on top.
Will tru it out when I get these new ones.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ordered another set of the same speakers from Crutchfield Canada.
I think I know where I screwed up with the front speakers....I put the speakers “inside” the plastic door frame instead of on top.
Will tru it out when I get these new ones.
I'm trying to visualize what you were describing... What did you mean by putting it "inside" the door frame? Referencing @LaBrother 's post again, the install for me looked like his: Sub + Amp install, done by noob

Although I did not use the provided grill by Infinity. I just used the foam Speed Rings as referenced in my original post.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used "Metra 82-3006"
These adapters allow you to mount most 6.5 speakers to the Bolt doors front and rear...The Alpines were a direct fit, holes and all

·
Registered
374 Posts
So I finally got my speaker kit from Crutchfield. ( they had an issue where the site kept saying it was out of stock when it wasn’t) and installed the speakers. I hope to never have to do that again as removing the door panels are a HUGE PAIN IN THE ARSENAL. Sure I got the front door panels off but getting them back on was quite difficult....and no I don’t want to see “well I did it no problem “. Good for you but my experience was quite different....and a mechanic friend was even helping me. UGH!

Anyways I found the issue with the one speaker that “quit”. Somehow water got inside the door and got in the plug. There was literally water in the speaker plug and it froze. Plug was tight as well. I would’ve thought that the door would be better protected against that. Guess not.

After drying it as best as I could I plugged it back in and it works fine now. Wrapped some electric tape around it tightly as an extra protective layer just in case. I also did the passenger door and sure enough that was wet and frozen as well so did the same thing.

Then came the rear doors. Those still had the stock speakers in them and instead of fighting with the trouble of removing the panels I decided just pull and hold open the bottom and work on the speakers removal and replacement. That went quite well and now all four doors have the Infinity Reference speakers. I even had no trouble with the locking mechanism on the speaker harness this time. Thanks to the forum member that told me how to use them.

Using the sound settings that MDBOLT told me the speakers sound wonderful

thanks guys.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So glad it worked for you @Digi ! I totally agree, the door panels were a pain. That’s why I didn’t bother putting on the Dynamat. They sound just fine with the speed rings.

Give it a few weeks of “exercising” the speakers and it’ll sound even better. I remember that initially the highs were a bit tinny-sounding but now they just sound perfect.

On a related note, I’ve been procrastinating on putting in the dash speaker replacement that I picked up a while back. Hehe. I still promise to post on here once I do.

Again, congratulations on getting it done and enjoy the commute!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Also - interesting story on the iced connectors. Never would’ve guessed that to be the problem. Definitely a first here on the forum. I remember folks having their subwoofers flooded, but I haven’t heard of a door speaker freeze.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Also - interesting story on the iced connectors. Never would’ve guessed that to be the problem. Definitely a first here on the forum. I remember folks having their subwoofers flooded, but I haven’t heard of a door speaker freeze.
Yes it was very unexpected and disappointing. I would’ve thought that the doors would be better sealed. Guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Are these the ones to get?

Yes but you will need to get the frames that I have posted above to put them in your bolt....and I do suggest the wiring harnesses as well.
Just get the speakers from Crutchfield. They throw in the frames and the wiring harnesses for free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes but you will need to get the frames that I have posted above to put them in your bolt....and I do suggest the wiring harnesses as well.
Just get the speakers from Crutchfield. They throw in the frames and the wiring harnesses for free.
Besides the frames and harnesses they include, do I need anything else?
I saw foam mentioned in another post?

41 - 60 of 101 Posts