Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Searched, could not find anything in this, - looking for a display setting or speedometer update for the Bolt to display either of these types of attached images...

(Rotary Scale with a needle). km/h outer / main and MPH inner /secondary preferred.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just noticed a cool feature of the speedometer. I was on the highway and as I started going over the speed limit, it started to turn yellow. I thought, wow, that's really useful. The Bolt must be talking to Android Auto to find out the speed limit.

Turns out, it just does that whenever you go over 65 MPH and I happened to be an a road with a 65 MPH speed limit. Oh well. Not so cool. Pretty useless, actually.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Just noticed a cool feature of the speedometer. I was on the highway and as I started going over the speed limit, it started to turn yellow. I thought, wow, that's really useful. The Bolt must be talking to Android Auto to find out the speed limit.

Turns out, it just does that whenever you go over 65 MPH and I happened to be an a road with a 65 MPH speed limit. Oh well. Not so cool. Pretty useless, actually.
It's really got nothing to do with the speed but rather is meant to be an indication of "wasteful" use of power. The ring will go yellow at any time you're drawing high amounts of power, including stomping on the accelerator pedal from a standstill.

The reason it goes yellow above ~100 to 110 km/h is because at those speeds you need to use a lot of power to overcome air resistance.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's really got nothing to do with the speed but rather is meant to be an indication of "wasteful" use of power. The ring will go yellow at any time you're drawing high amounts of power, including stomping on the accelerator pedal from a standstill.

The reason it goes yellow above ~100 to 110 km/h is because at those speeds you need to use a lot of power to overcome air resistance.
Also goes yellow if you brake hard. Stays green if you ease into braking to a full stop.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just checking back in on this - any updates for the needle type gauge?

I have always found the numeric speedometer display type to be... lacking. (I am using "lacking" in place of a possible inflammatory other).

Not to scope creep my own post, but I would also like the tire pressure to read P.S.I.
So that my preference is Speed Unit of Measure = [Needle in km/hr speed] and Tire Pressure Unit of Measure = [P.S.I.]

There are some "features" and therefore "feature sets" that are not that useful/novel, (e.g.: the image of the Bolt with the power going from "battery" to the drive or from the wheels back to the "battery". I think they felt like they had to put that in there because the 2004 Prius had it !! ...

I would really like to see "rubber meets road" or "form follows function" interfaces, and to have them be flexible / useful.
I do know the relation / conversion from kPa to P.S.I. is about 7:1., but don't really feel like doing that math while driving.

Hopefully someone that can relay this message to Chevrolet will do so. It might not be that likely, but a firm update of some type for this/these would be cool.
I have already done so through the survey as well.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I think given the conservative nature of traditional car makers w/r to OTA updates, you won't get changes to the DIC (Driver Information Center) unless there's a glaring bug in it that could lead to safety issues or frequent service visits to cost GM $$$ in wasted diagnostic labor.

I think your best bet might be an ODBII bluetooth dongle and a dedicated Android or iOS device that will run an app that interfaces via that dongle.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Just checking back in on this - any updates for the needle type gauge?

I have always found the numeric speedometer display type to be... lacking. (I am using "lacking" in place of a possible inflammatory other).

Not to scope creep my own post, but I would also like the tire pressure to read P.S.I.
So that my preference is Speed Unit of Measure = [Needle in km/hr speed] and Tire Pressure Unit of Measure = [P.S.I.]

There are some "features" and therefore "feature sets" that are not that useful/novel, (e.g.: the image of the Bolt with the power going from "battery" to the drive or from the wheels back to the "battery". I think they felt like they had to put that in there because the 2004 Prius had it !! ...

I would really like to see "rubber meets road" or "form follows function" interfaces, and to have them be flexible / useful.
I do know the relation / conversion from kPa to P.S.I. is about 7:1., but don't really feel like doing that math while driving.

Hopefully someone that can relay this message to Chevrolet will do so. It might not be that likely, but a firm update of some type for this/these would be cool.
I have already done so through the survey as well.

I have *always* preferred analog meters. You can see context directly with the needle between the extremes. Context in digital is a mental task. Trivial, but unnecessary, imo.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have *always* preferred analog meters. You can see context directly with the needle between the extremes. Context in digital is a mental task. Trivial, but unnecessary, imo.
Went through a major controls upgrade right before my retirement where we upgraded an old analog system to digital. We went out of our way to build data screens that not only simulated analog displays, but actually had real time plots. Those plots turned out to be better than anything we had before. You could get a visual of the rate of increase so you had a feel of how much time you had to react to a situation.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Went through a major controls upgrade right before my retirement where we were upgraded an old analog system to digital. We went out of our way to build data screens that not only simulated analog displays, but actually had real time plots. Those plots turned out to be better than anything we had before. You could get a visual of the rate of increase so you had a feel of how much time you had to react to a situation.

Yup. Derivatives-at-a-glance! Do THAT with a bunch of digits!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
No car is complete without analog readouts of:

Speed
Acceleration (rate of change of speed)
Jerk (rate of change of acceleration)

;)

Heh, heh. Sometimes the jerk is behind the wheel. :D

I had to look that up, in case it wasn't just a play on words. (And funny, at that.) I know that there's a rate of change of acceleration, representing the third derivative of the position vector, but I didn't know it was called "Jerk". Makes sense. Learn something new every day!

Also, the time derivative of "Jerk" is called "Jounce", for those others of you that didn't know.:nerd:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts