Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to me 2018 Bolt owner here.
Love the car, but have been experiencing some frustration with splitvolt chargers. I went with splitvolts evse because they offer a 24amp model with a 10-30 connection. Perfect setup for the house I’m currently renting. This is the charger I purchased from amazon: Amazon.com: Splitvolt 24A NEMA 10-30 EV Charger, Portable Level 2 240V, 16.4 Ft Cord, Fastest NEC-Safe 30 Amp Circuit Charging, EVSE Compatible with EVs via J1772 Plug Including Tesla, Ford, Chevy, Audi, Nissan : Automotive
However, after ordering two of them from Amazon and hoping the first one was defective, there’s definitely an issue. It’s something with the locking mechanism on the splitvolt charger. It just doesn’t engage the safety interlock ( unsure of nomenclature?) on the charging port of the Bolt. Local public charging stations, as well as, the oem charger work fine. Ive been in contact with split volt customer support and they have been unable to help. Claim no other bolt owners have had this issue and their return rate is extremely low. I believe them because they seem to have a great product, reputation and reviews. Unfortunately the charger just won't work only car.

Anyone else had experience with this? Thoughts? Does everyone else have the same mechanism above their charging port?
Please see attached pictures:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Alloy wheel Automotive lighting
Wood Finger Rectangle Household hardware Tints and shades

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT loaded, prior 2018 Bolt LT
140 Posts
On Amazon, when I put in 2018 Bolt under Splitvolt product it says, "Cannot confirm these fit your 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV" . I'm not sure exactly which Splitvolt product you got but some have been used with Bolts. I'd suggest posting your question on Amazon or contacting the Splitvolt directly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On Amazon, when I put in 2018 Bolt under Splitvolt product it says, "Cannot confirm these fit your 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV" . I'm not sure exactly which Splitvolt product you got but some have been used with Bolts. I'd suggest posting your question on Amazon or contacting the Splitvolt directly.
Thanks for the response, I'll edit my original post. Ive been in contact with split volt over the past week. While they have been somewhat helpful, they have not reached any conclusions and say I'm the first Bolt owner to report this issue.

So obviously looking for input from other owners here. Does your charging receptacle look the same as mine with the silver/metal/chrome interlock above the charging port?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine looks like that. But I believe that motorized latch mechanism is for the DCFC to lock on the car.
Thanks for the response. No motors to speak, just a mechanical spring safety interlock so the car knows your evse is locked on and ready to charge.
DCFC is below with the orange cover if your car is equipped with that option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2020 Premier and I have the same Splitvolt charger except I ordered the 24A model with the NEMA 14-30 plug and I have never had a problem. And as near as I can tell, the charge ports are identical.
View attachment 38178
View attachment 38179
Crazy?! Man I’m baffled. When you get a chance could you take a picture with it plugged in?
Here’s mine on the oem level 1 charger hacked to a level 1.5 with about $40 worth of Lowe’s components and a half hour of my time.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I'm even more confused. Your split volt does not appear to engage the mechanism I thought was the culprit either, yet it charges the car huh?

Im doubtful its a defective charger as Ive had two of them no, both with the same result. Charger indicates charging, but I get the "unable to charge, check charger" message on the dash. Also, no yellow/orange handshake light on the charge indicator on top of the dashboard.

Local dealer has no bolts in stock.

Any fellow Bolt owners in OBX, NC?

·
Registered
702 Posts
New to me 2018 Bolt owner here.
Love the car, but have been experiencing some frustration with splitvolt chargers. I went with splitvolts evse because they offer a 24amp model with a 10-30 connection. Perfect setup for the house I’m currently renting. This is the charger I purchased from amazon: Amazon.com: Splitvolt 24A NEMA 10-30 EV Charger, Portable Level 2 240V, 16.4 Ft Cord, Fastest NEC-Safe 30 Amp Circuit Charging, EVSE Compatible with EVs via J1772 Plug Including Tesla, Ford, Chevy, Audi, Nissan : Automotive
However, after ordering two of them from Amazon and hoping the first one was defective, there’s definitely an issue. It’s something with the locking mechanism on the splitvolt charger. It just doesn’t engage the safety interlock ( unsure of nomenclature?) on the charging port of the Bolt. Local public charging stations, as well as, the oem charger work fine. Ive been in contact with split volt customer support and they have been unable to help. Claim no other bolt owners have had this issue and their return rate is extremely low. I believe them because they seem to have a great product, reputation and reviews. Unfortunately the charger just won't work only car.

Anyone else had experience with this? Thoughts? Does everyone else have the same mechanism above their charging port?
Please see attached pictures:
View attachment 38174 View attachment 38175
The J1772 plug on the "Splitvolt" charger is woefully out of spec. The height on the retaining latch is all wrong. They probably got it from Grabcad :p or at the very least never tested it on a proper J1772 plug, aside from one that was never attached to a car. It MIGHT fit on a Bolt that doesn't have fast charging.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hubcap

What else on the inside is out-of-spec? Return it and buy a more reputable brand of EVSE. These bootleg Amazon chargers are going to ruin charge ports and burn houses down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The J1772 plug on the "Splitvolt" charger is woefully out of spec. The height on the retaining latch is all wrong. They probably got it from Grabcad :p or at the very least never tested it on a proper J1772 plug, aside from one that was never attached to a car. It MIGHT fit on a Bolt that doesn't have fast charging. What else on the inside is out-of-spec? Return it and buy a more reputable brand of EVSE. These bootleg Amazon chargers are going to ruin charge ports and burn houses down.
Unfortunately, I think you’re spot on. Pretty sure the latest batch of split volt chargers is a bad batch out of the lab in wuhan and they just don’t know it yet. Time will tell.
What do you recommend? Looking to get something more permanent in the house we’re building. Thinking of going clipper creek but looking for other suggestions. Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unfortunately, I think you’re spot on. Pretty sure the latest batch of split volt chargers is a bad batch out of the lab in wuhan and they just don’t know it yet. Time will tell.
What do you recommend? Looking to get something more permanent in the house we’re building. Thinking of going clipper creek but looking for other suggestions. Thanks for your response!
I have a Grizzl-e classic at home. It doesn't have any wifi stuff but it's built like a tank and made in Canada. Customer service was great when I accidentally ordered the wrong plug type.

Clipper Creek units seem nice and reliable. We have a bunch of them in public lots in my area, they always work no problem.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The clipper creek units are absolute tanks. I really love that heavy CLUNK they give when the contactor engages. The aerovironment / webasto ones are decent too, or they were, and hopefully still are. Hard wired is better if you have the option, as far as safety goes.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You're one sentence in your first post indicates to me that it is indeed a problem with the split volt evse. You stated that the OEM evse and public stations all work fine, that's pretty solid evidence that the issue lies with the split volt evse.

Most folks are very happy with name brand evses, I have a juicebox, but also have friends with positive personal experience with clipper Creek, chargepoint, etc.

The clipper Creek "amazing e" has a good reputation and lower cost.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
48 Posts
I must have been very lucky then. I have the OEM charger (at 240V), the SplitVolt 24 amp, and a TeslaTap adapter. Looking at them closely (which I had not done before), I see no difference in the location of the surfaces that actually contact the charging port. I have never had a heat problem (or any other issue) with any of the J1772 plugs. I bought the SplitVolt because (as the OP said), the ratings on Amazon were mostly excellent - 4.6 stars.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Normally they are highly rated. Is it an Amazon seller or Amazon selling? I guess it's possible cheap something or third party something.

I haven't really searched it yet but on my previous BMW i3 there was a mechanical release in case the charge handle got stuck. I think I heard about some way on the Chevy bolt but I didn't remember it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts