Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Squirrels eating my wire covers

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  p7wang 
#1 ·
In September 2019 I found squirrels nested under the front hood of my 2017 Bolt (bought new), four good sized squirrels sleeping there. Electronics had gone haywire so I wondered and opened the hood. They'd eaten through wiring, $2400 in repair bills. In late December 2020 they came back and began another nest but had not birthed any babies, however the wiring is again haywire and I'm going in next week for a second round of repairs. Are wires on EV's covered with a soy based material? Are squirrels eating tofu? I have now bought mothballs, peppermint/cinnamon oil spray, possibly dryer cloths, and am realizing this is a real problem. I don't have a garage but I've never had this problem leaving cars outside. Ideas? I hear Toyota hybrid owners are having a similar problem as the manufacturers get away from petroleum based wire covers. Just mix in some repellent to the soy product!

#6 ·
We keep our Bolt in our garage, so it is safe from critters. In the past we had problems with large desert rats building nests in our diesel pusher motorhome engine compartment. Rats also like to chew on wires and hoses. I started setting rat traps around the engine compartment, and eventually totally eliminated the problem. I know some animal rights proponents may object to kill traps, but you are in a war with the rodents. Do whatever is necessary to protect your property.

I recommend the Tomcat brand because it works!

#7 ·
I had rodent issues in my old car. They managed to nibble on cable covers and eat most of a plastic air intake. A mechanic suggested spraying Simple Green around the wheel covers at the base of the engine compartment and under the hood. This worked really great for me. No more rodent issues for the subsequent two years until the car was sold. I repeated the application once a month or so. Apparently rodents really do dislike its smell.

#12 ·
My two neighbors feed the deer. This brings in many other critters to clean up after what the deer miss. Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good simple preventive that is non-destructive and fairly inexpensive.

#11 ·
Honda Rodent Tape.

Bitterant and capsaicin infused tape for wrapping wires.

Specifically HONDA tape. There are others and in the spirit of American capitalism many of them aren't great.

Wrap what you can easily reach. Warn your mechanics about the Tape so they don't remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.