Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, looks like the Model 3 now has 5 range options:

SR 220 miles (between 51 and 53 kWh depending on miles per kWh)
SR+ 240 miles (between 55 and 58 kWh depending on miles per kWh)
MR 264 miles reported to be 62 kWh (4.26 miles per kWh) with 1.94 C peak charge rate
LR (AWD) 310 miles charging video's show 75 kWh from empty to full (4.13 miles per kWh) with 1.6 C peak charge rate
LR (RWD) 325 miles same size battery as AWD LR (4.33 miles per kWh) with 1.6 C peak charge rate

My question is, what are the battery pack sizes, above sizes are inferences or reports from sources that don't have first hand knowledge. Also, how many different battery packs?

Is the SR a software locked SR+ battery (locked at 92%)? Or are both the SR and SR+ software locked MR batteries (locked at 85% for the SR and 94% for the SR+)?

I notice that the SR does not say that it can be upgraded via a software unlock at a later time for additional cost, and neither does the SR+

Since the MR is reported to have the same peak charge rate on a Supercharger as the LR, if the SR had a software locked 62 kWh battery with option to upgrade at a later date I would probably break down and order one despite not liking the lack of physical controls and everything being controlled by the touch screen. If the SR and SR+ have a 55 kWh battery pack they would have to push the battery charging to 2.18 C to get the same peak charging rate. If the SR actually had a 51 kWh battery it would be even higher at 2.35 C.

Anyone have information on the actual battery packs used in the SR and SR+?

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
553 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Well these are the million dollar questions.

My best guess based on what I've read about the SR and SR+ being the same weight, they share the same battery. That would mean the SR is software locked. If so, that's an excellent value since range will degrade slower than the SR+, and you should still get the same speed charging as the SR+.

Perhaps we'll have to wait for a tear down video.

·
Registered
99 Posts
...based on what I've read about the SR and SR+ being the same weight, they share the same battery. That would mean the SR is software locked. If so, that's an excellent value since range will degrade slower than the SR+, and you should still get the same speed charging as the SR+.
As I recall, people that bought the 60 kWh cars that actually had 75 kWh batteries in them were quite happy because for a cheaper car they could even charge to 100% regularly and still have 15 kWh upper headroom (read: limit degradation). More daily electric miles avail. https://www.google.com/search?q=75+kwh+tesla+60+kwh

Simarily, if SR cars have SR+ bigger batteries in them then the SR buyers could charge at a higher SOC (i.e. 93-95%) regularly and not worry about quicker degradation. More daily electric miles avail.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
****! Looks like the LR battery can charge at 250KW on the new V3 supercharger... That is 3.33 C! I am guessing that even a SR model 3 can max out a V2 supercharger, and probably max out the "upgraded" V2's that are coming out that put out 145 KW.

Keith

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
****! Looks like the LR battery can charge at 250KW on the new V3 supercharger... That is 3.33 C! I am guessing that even a SR model 3 can max out a V2 supercharger, and probably max out the "upgraded" V2's that are coming out that put out 145 KW.

Keith
It will be interesting to see all of the Model 3 variations mapped out on the V3. I think the Model 3 LR peaks at a 3.4 C rate from about 10% to 15%. The MR, if it follows suit would be a peak rate of about 210 kW, following a similar taper pattern. The SR+ would probably be 190 kW peak. And the SR would probably be a 170 kW peak.

I haven't been paying close attention, but I'm yet to see a full Supercharge from 0% to 100% on the MR (or the SR and SR+ for obvious reasons).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts