Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think the rattle I am hearing from the front end is a bad stabilizer end link on the passenger side, but I am hoping folks here can help confirm. I am not sure what I expected to find when crawling under the car, but both stabilizer end links look the same at first. But I can sort of twist the bottom of the passenger side by hand. I can’t on the driver side. The little rubber boot seems to be intact. But I am assuming the connection within the boot is broken. Does this seem right?

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
931 Posts
Sounds about right but I never actually saw mine. Annoying tinny rattle on uneven surfaces...it was taken care of under warranty.
Mine was the driver side...seems to be a common issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I think the rattle I am hearing from the front end is a bad stabilizer end link on the passenger side, but I am hoping folks here can help confirm. I am not sure what I expected to find when crawling under the car, but both stabilizer end links look the same at first. But I can sort of twist the bottom of the passenger side by hand. I can’t on the driver side. The little rubber boot seems to be intact. But I am assuming the connection within the boot is broken. Does this seem right?

View attachment 45123
I had a 2013 Volkswagen Passat 2.5 SE that had multiple stabilizer links go bad through the years. I usually took a rubber mallet with a light to medium tap to the end (what you've highlighted) to test the link. It's not totally unusual for these to wear out. Hopefully not terribly expensive either, and I would replace them in pairs on the same axle. That should get rid of the annoying rattle. And obviously check out the other thread listed above for more info on this specific vehicle too I'm sure.

- Tim

·
Registered
364 Posts
My previous Bolt EV 2019 had the link kit changed twice within 50 000 km.
It is a known "weak" spot on the car. Usually, one or both joints become slack. I opened one post-replacement and noticed contamination inside that deteriorated the grease. Likely water infiltration.

There was an interesting post recently in this forum where another owner found a compatible replacement part from another manufacturer (non-OEM part) that appeared much sturdier. He included the part number and brand name.
I suggest you look for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts