Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021Bolt
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Why didn’t they use the same cord that came with the Volt2015 EVSE. Has lasted years with daily use. Too bad only got a 100k Miles out of the volt
The elec cord on the Bolt EVSE is already tangled after only 4 weeks of use at work.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did use the later model Volt's EVSE. What was so special about the earlier one? Harder to tangle?

I like it cause it will do 240V.
Yes. Much harder then the Volt 2013 or the Bolt. Could go months of daily use with out stretching it out at unwinding the bends. Depends on the elec cord they use.

I have another in the garage. I’ll use that for awhile as see if it’s better. It also has the plate that should dissipate heat better

I went and got the 30amp 240 for the house.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,716 Posts
Hello.
Why didn’t they use the same cord that came with the Volt2015 EVSE. Has lasted years with daily use. Too bad only got a 100k Miles out of the volt
The elec cord on the Bolt EVSE is already tangled after only 4 weeks of use at work.
My 2011 Volt EVSE cable started failing at the J-connector, due to repeated flexion. It got daily use for several years, but was still serviceable. It didn't have any tangling issues I turned it in with my 2011 Leaf at trade-in, on a '21 Clarity PHEV. They were looking for an EVSE to be in the trunk, and didn't know what they were looking at. The 2011 Leaf EVSE had been modified internally, for use on 240V. It's a 16A EVSE, which is why I kept it, instead.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My 2011 Volt EVSE cable started failing at the J-connector, due to repeated flexion. It got The 2011 Leaf EVSE had been modified internally, for use on 240V. It's a 16A EVSE, which is why I kept it, instead.
My daily use at work is probably harder then storing in the garage every night. As I have to coil it up to fit in the back.

But thier is no comparison between the cords used on the volt and Bolt EVSE.

cord on right is Bolt after 4 weeks to Volt after about 5 years.
Feel the jackets. The volt could be neoprene or something. The bolt feels like standard rubber.

see pics Water Liquid Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Wheel Tire Black Road surface

1 - 5 of 5 Posts