Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Late to the party. I love my Bolt most of the time. Over the weekend I had my third tire replacement. The first two were “hey stupid” events: my last car was a very solid Subaru Outback. So basically curb vs. wheel. The last one was an out of the blue flat (tire vs. mystery screw/nail).

This is a lease and I’m not sure I can afford any more of these tire incidents. Am I just really careless, or unlucky? Is there a sturdier tire out there (rub flats maybe?).

Seeing the success here with fitting a spare in the trunk, I’m definitely going to look into that and, of course, be more careful. Anyone else having similar problems? I’m not handy with cars.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hi! Late to the party. I love my Bolt most of the time. Over the weekend I had my third tire replacement. The first two were “hey stupid” events: my last car was a very solid Subaru Outback. So basically curb vs. wheel. The last one was an out of the blue flat (tire vs. mystery screw/nail).

This is a lease and I’m not sure I can afford any more of these tire incidents. Am I just really careless, or unlucky? Is there a sturdier tire out there (rub flats maybe?).

Seeing the success here with fitting a spare in the trunk, I’m definitely going to look into that and, of course, be more careful. Anyone else having similar problems? I’m not handy with cars.

Thanks,
Shawn
No tire issues in over a year of owning - but I am cautious - mostly to avoid curb rash... All kinds of driving, city, highway, couple 200+ mile road trips.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

Thanks,
Shawn
Shawn, No tire issues here either @ about 17k miles and 20 months. Just curious on that last incident, my Bolt OEM tires are run-flat. Did the tire that went by chance was one of the replacement tires that was replaced by a non-run flat tire? I also heard that the Bolts delivered to Canada did not have run-flat tires but had a air compressor and tire sealant can of goop included. I would have prefered that over the weight and expense of run-flat tires anyway.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks,
Shawn
Shawn,
I had a curb hit destroy my left front tire on it's first commuting day! No further problems. I looked into a spare, but have not yet done anything in that regard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Shawn, No tire issues here either @ about 17k miles and 20 months. Just curious on that last incident, my Bolt OEM tires are run-flat. Did the tire that went by chance was one of the replacement tires that was replaced by a non-run flat tire? I also heard that the Bolts delivered to Canada did not have run-flat tires but had a air compressor and tire sealant can of goop included. I would have prefered that over the weight and expense of run-flat tires anyway.
The OEM Bolt tires are Michelin self-sealing tires, not run-flats which have stiffer side walls. Only tire issue I experienced in 18 months of ownership was a puncture caused by a bolt while driving past road construction. The tire did not deflate and the dealer patched it for $20. Granted, I am a low mileage driver with 6600 miles, but I have been running on it since without issue.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts

Thanks,
Shawn
Welcome, Shawn.

Yes, you've admitted to two "hey stupid", which is more than most will do; preferring to rant about what junk the OEM Michelins are. (Not true; they're the best all-around tire for the Bolt.)

We're also coming up on two years with absolutely no tire events.

No, even if run-flats were available, they'd be too stiff for the Bolt and you'd need all four of them. The mystery is what happened that the self-sealer didn't work when you had the third incident. Any chance the first two replacements were the version without the self-sealing feature and that was the tire which was impaled?

jack vines

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First and recent incidents were both on passenger front. I would have to check my documents from America’s Best Tire co, my exe’s favorite place. Second two tires were from Les Schwab. I will make sure I get self-sealing tires. I sort of get overwhelmed by the incidents and lose my judgment. I’ll get used to all this adulting soon (one hopes).

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Just a general reminder that most flats in the OEM Michelin self-seal tires are repairable, using the same basic plug technique for flats in any tire. Some tire shops and dealerships have told owners that the Michelin self-seal tires can’t be plugged, but that is not true.

The Michelin OEM self-seal tire code is #33539 . If you order new tires make sure they have this code. If they don’t they’re not OEM self-seal tires.

This earlier thread includes links to the official Michelin repair procedure:

https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/19482-tire-repair-woes.html

Attachments

Reactions: Terry Hancock

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks,
Shawn
My OEM tires were not run flat, they were self sealing. That distinction was one of the misunderstandings I had in my first “hey stupid” incident. My friend has run flats for her mini and loves them. I on the other hand don’t even have the compressor and goop. I have the lower end model of Bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I’ll look into that.

Just a general reminder that most flats in the OEM Michelin self-seal tires are repairable, using the same basic plug technique for flats in any tire. Some tire shops and dealerships have told owners that the Michelin self-seal tires can’t be plugged, but that is not true.

The Michelin OEM self-seal tire code is #33539 . If you order new tires make sure they have this code. If they don’t they’re not OEM self-seal tires.

This earlier thread includes links to the official Michelin repair procedure:

https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/19482-tire-repair-woes.html

·
Registered
503 Posts
My OEM tires were not run flat, they were self sealing. That distinction was one of the misunderstandings I had in my first “hey stupid” incident. My friend has run flats for her mini and loves them.
I hope I have a long time to go before I need to replace my OEM tires. But when I do, I will probably buy true run flat tires. I had them on my C300 and loved them. You don't have to worry about it going flat if the hole is not in the area where the goop is. I also do not need to get the maximum mileage from a charge so the low rolling resistance of the OEM is not important to me. (Yes the cost per mile will go up a little, but still much less than with ICE auto.) When I did a search for run flat tires I found a Bridgestone tire with the same size spec as the OEMs. The tire rack price for the run flat is about $178 each versus $166 for the OEM.

·
Registered
294 Posts
We lost one tire with less than 3,000 miles on it because the tire was pinched against the wheel (probably on a pothole) and created a small but unrepairable pinhole leak. No problems since, but only 8,500 miles on the car.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

The Bolt OEMs are not run-flat. You can't drive on them with zero psi. They are self-sealing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I haven't had any flats, but I did buy a can of spray goo: I just bought the Chevy P/N, as it fits in the pocket made for it in the foam filler block under the rear deck. The Premier comes with this can, but LT owners like me have to provide it ourselves.

From everything I have seen here on this forum, any spare tire solution will not fit into the semi-round cavity at the bottom of the rear deck. Any spare tire will have to be placed on the rear deck, taking up valuable storage space.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
From everything I have seen here on this forum, any spare tire solution will not fit into the semi-round cavity at the bottom of the rear deck. Any spare tire will have to be placed on the rear deck, taking up valuable storage space.
It won't fit in the very lowest part where the Bose subwoofer is installed (in those Bolts that have one), but it fits pretty nicely into the lower cargo compartment beneath the false floor (for those Bolts that have one). And as a bonus there's room to store a bunch of extra stuff down there too, like a jack, battery booster, first aid kit, blanket, emergency charger (EVSE), etc. I cobbled together a couple of storage trays to hold all that stuff along with the OEM tire mounted on the OEM wheel, so it only takes a few seconds to remove everything from the lower compartment if I have to make a special run where I need that space. I haven't needed it so far, though.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I haven't had any flats, but I did buy a can of spray goo: I just bought the Chevy P/N, as it fits in the pocket made for it in the foam filler block under the rear deck. The Premier comes with this can, but LT owners like me have to provide it ourselves.

I did not receive anything for the "under trunk" except the tow eye-bolt. No tire goo, no compressor. 2017 Premiere, purchased December 2017.

I now carry a compressor and tire plug kit....and a towel. One should never travel without a towel...

·
Registered
928 Posts
...which is more than most will do; preferring to rant about what junk the OEM Michelins are. (Not true; they're the best all-around tire for the Bolt.)
Agree with Packard, the tires are good all rounder tires. I was one of the nay sayers until they were well broken in. I have not yet had a flat, but I do carry a spare in the hatch myself. Actually without a jack lately, but I figure a jack is a phone call away. A 5x105mm wheel/tire is not. Anyway they are not the best in driving enthusiast situations, specifically in the first 5000 miles. But.

Think about what these tires have to deal with...

3500 pound car with a very short wheel base.

FF layout without a front weight bias to aid traction.

short 17-50 sidewall due to "marketability" reasons.

LRR efficiency requirement to aid range of EV

This is a pretty dang hard list for any tire to check off imo. They do a good job. The only thing I have to add.. if it weren't an i3 competitor, if it weren't a $40k car competing in that market. Maybe they would have had a 'homely looking' 15 or 16" version of this tire.. it would have been even better than it is.

·
Registered
2014 Volt
11 Posts
Until the tire gets shredded by rocks or vandalism... so much fun hearing the air come out faster than it is going in when that happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts