Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Three stories and then my questions:

1) On a 230 mile trip, we stopped at a Resort for lunch and a 1 hr (25 mile) no-cost Level 2 charge. A Ford C-Max was plugged into the only plug (J1772). We took the plate # into the registration desk. They did not ID him (of course) but said he would be there all week. A Google search showed us how to externally determine his state of charge (he was fully charged). The Resort offered to unplug him for us to get our one hour. No alarm sounded. Then, after lunch we (Resort staff & I) "re-plugged" him.

2) On a business trip, at the hotel garage, charging (Level 2) was free. There were two spaces with one charger inoperative. After our 200 mile drive, we charged fully overnight. The next day, while I was at a meeting, my wife shopped, driving 25-30 miles. Upon return, a black Leaf was charging so my wife parked in the adjacent "green" space, planning to come down later to plug in. Shortly after my return to the room, my Bolt texted me that it was fully charged. The other driver apparently had finished charging & plugged me in. He left a note and his business card. I was happy for his thoughtfulness. I emailed him a thank you.

3) I carry a sheet of paper to set on the dash when I am charging and not staying at/near my Bolt. It says: "Charging. If you need to charge and think I am done: Call 410-xxx-xxxx"

Questions: Does anyone else post such a notice? Do you ever (if able) plug someone else in? (I think the Leaf access door is opened only by an internal switch. Others I do not know about.) Does anyone think he should NOT have plugged me in? Does anyone unplug someone else and under what circumstances? Do you all activate your "unplug alarm" (by pressing the fob "lock" button twice) or leave the alarm off? Is your behavior affected by whether you are on the only plug? Do you "alarm" if it is a "pay" station but not if it is a "no cost" one?

{It is my understanding that all Level 3 stations cost $$ and that plugs (CCS/SAE Combo) "lock on" to the port unless the "stop button" is pushed. Am I correct?}

I cannot imagine anyone else on this Forum whom I would not trust to plug in my Bolt as a courtesy. Am I naive? Hoping for a nice discussion on Charger Station etiquette.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Parking an EV next to an occupied charging station does suggest you would like to be plugged in. I wouldn't object to anyone plugging me in, even if I didn't leave a note. But I would leave a note if I really needed a charge.

I wouldn't plug someone else's car in without them having left a note simply because some people are "difficult". Doing a good deed 10 times gets wiped out by someone running out yelling about you plugging in their car without their permission.

I haven't done much opportunity charging with the Bolt, unlike my Spark I just don't need to. And that may be part of the charging station etiquette, should you plug into the only charging station around when you have 200 miles of range and no real need to charge? Probably not a big deal if you leave a note and are nearby or are at a location where it isn't likely some desperate to charge EV is going to show up. But in general should we treat opportunity charging that isn't at all needed as an entitlement? If I'm taking a long trip those 1 hr stops for lunch and 25 miles of range can be important and having some local who doesn't really need a charge but likes using a free charging station to get $1/hr of free juice could be an impediment to travelers.

With hordes of Bolts and Model 3's about to descend on the rather limited public charging infrastructure I hope the answer is installing more public charging stations as opposed to nobody being able to rely on a public charging station when they need one because of overuse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven’t had a lot of experience with this since I have only had my bolt for a week but I wouldn’t mind if someone plugged me in or unplugged me if I was done charging as long as they where careful which obviously you can’t control.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Open charge port door pretty much means "Please plug me in bro". Whenever I've done that, I usually come back to my car having been plugged in by the other owner.

Except one time. Didn't plug me in, and couldn't even place the plug back properly. It was a Tesla owner of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Would be fun if someone knew a person who owns those car decal machines, or won one themselves. Print off some stickers to go around the plug port: "Port open? Plug Me In!"

·
Registered
355 Posts
Would be fun if someone knew a person who owns those car decal machines, or won one themselves. Print off some stickers to go around the plug port: "Port open? Plug Me In!"

Here is a site from an EV advocate close to me that has printable sign's that are free to make your self.

http://pluginsites.org/dash-cards/

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
There's "Etiquette" and there's WORLD WAR III going on at some companies and public chargers. The person who gets there first takes the best space, plugs in and stays all day. Sometimes he's driving a hybrid which will get him wherever, while there are EVs who need the juice to get home. Seen some real ***** fights.

jack vines

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was charging the other day and went out to disconnect during my lunch to free up a space and the charger next to me was open and a Mercedes pulled in I kindly reminded the guy it was for electric cars only and he told me to go F myself soooo I proceeded to have mall security have him towed.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I was charging the other day and went out to disconnect during my lunch to free up a space and the charger next to me was open and a Mercedes pulled in I kindly reminded the guy it was for electric cars only and he told me to go F myself soooo I proceeded to have mall security have him towed.
Much kinder than I would have been.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
There's "Etiquette" and there's WORLD WAR III going on at some companies and public chargers. ..... Seen some real ***** fights.
EV charging pissing contests are wayyyyyyy down on the list of things HR and company owners want/need to deal with.
I could see them simply pulling the plug ( :laugh: ) on the whole program if it gets contentious enough.

We used to have a TV in our breakroom till bickering over FOX News vs. CNN reared it's head... the TV got removed!
Problem solved...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am surprised mall security would have him towed. Unlike Handicapped spaces, EV charging spaces are not in all states protected by statute with towing and/or fines as punishment.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I am surprised mall security would have him towed. Unlike Handicapped spaces, EV charging spaces are not in all states protected by statute with towing and/or fines as punishment.
Exactly what a local cop told me about NY regs too... can only be towed if it's a handicapped parking space.
Us EVers can suck eggs as far as law enforcement is concerned.... :(

·
Registered
328 Posts
(...)it seems to me that driving an EV whose range doesn't allow you to get back home again unless you charge at work is living a bit dangerously.
I can confirm, I did that for 8 months with the Rav4 EV, 89 miles range, work was 74 miles one way from home, I had to recharge and stay plugged for about 4 to 6 hours to make it back. I kept a window open on my computer with the real time charging status and was ready to run out if anything happened! It was much less stressful with the Bolt! (Now I resigned that job, because 3 hours in the car every day is too much of an impact on family life.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DtimeToy, interesting progression of vehicles from past to present, very similar to mine. From the IS-F to the Bolt and Honda Hybrid is a huge swing. I previously had a BMW i3 BEV, Lexus IS F Sport and MB SLK 55 AMG. Been there, now I enjoy my Bolt EV and 2012 Prius Plug In. For me, must be a age thing. I was at Lowes on Sunday, had my Bolt and a beautiful BMW M3 parked close by. I love hot cars. A older man go out, and that was me in the past. His BMW was probably a car he always wanted, definitely not a daily driver, probably a garage queen. I can admire without participating.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
328 Posts
:DtimeToy, interesting progression of vehicles from past to present, very similar to mine. From the IS-F to the Bolt and Honda Hybrid is a huge swing. I previously had a BMW i3 BEV, Lexus IS F Sport and MB SLK 55 AMG. Been there, now I enjoy my Bolt EV and 2012 Prius Plug In. For me, must be a age thing. I was at Lowes on Sunday, had my Bolt and a beautiful BMW M3 parked close by. I love hot cars. A older man go out, and that was me in the past. His BMW was probably a car he always wanted, definitely not a daily driver, probably a garage queen. I can admire without participating.
As much as I like 416HP or 550HP naturally aspirated v8 with their intoxicating sound and oversteering/drifting abilities, one actually rarely/never use that much power on the street and I found that the electric, silent, drama-less acceleration is more usable on the street. I'm from Europe where a 16 valves, 2.5 Liters I4 is a big engine! So I had to get a big V8 in America, after getting the V8 bug out of my system I found the electric power to be really exhilarating. What they said: Slow car fast is better than fast car slow! That's why I need sticky tires on this thing!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
BMW's M series are so much fun to drive, then you realize the fastest you really ever go is a bit over highway speed limit...And you pay out of the nose for gas just to idle most days.

Anywho, wish those electric charging spaces were treated like handicapped ones where tickets can be given and people legally towed if they aren't electric. You'd think the city and towing company wants the extra income because it's such a common problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is a great thread - I wasn't sure if I should plug the next person in or not, as you never know how someone reacts. But a note/leaving charge port open/etc will be welcome signs for me now :)

In less than a week of EV ownership, I have already been ICE'd twice. The worst was the other day as I waiting for a car to move out from an adjacent spot before I could pull in, a sleek beamer pulled into the EV spot from the other side. For good measure, he even had a grin and flipped me off as he was pulling in. Oh well, there's only so much you can do sometimes...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts