Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the features you'd add to an EV charging station?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Most importantly, more of them. Second, higher capacity DCFC to charge multiple cars simultaneously.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We'd love to have the first one installed anywhere on the Western Slope of Colorado!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I charge almost exclusively at home. I think most EV drivers do. That means that the only times I need charging are something special in some way. For example, I'm headed out on vacation and I want to drive to a hotel and stay there. I'll want to charge overnight. Level-2 will be just fine. Tesla figured this out with its support of destination charging.

If I'm doing a long road trip, I'm going to want DC fast charging. But for me to be happy, there are a bunch of things that I'll make me feel happier about it:
  • It should be least 60 kW.
  • Signage/lane painting should make it less likely that the spot will be ICEd.
  • There needs to be at least two chargers to reduce the likelihood that both are messed up, busy, or otherwise unusable. Four would be better.
  • There should be another DC charging option somewhat nearby so that if there is a problem with the nearby infrastructure, there's a backup plan.
  • The charger should be somewhere I'd want to stop and spend time (and feel safe too). If it's close to food/shopping etc., that'd help. Lots of EVgo chargers are in WalMart parking lots, which does give you some place to go, but it's WalMart. I don't really want to spend an hour wandering a WalMart.
  • I should be able to find the location, full capabilities (including rated kWh / actual available kWh), and occupied/charging status through any app I might use to find the station. That means Apple Maps, Google Maps, PlugShare, or ChargeHub. It's hugely frustrating that you have to try to find a station to charge at, and then open the app for the network it's on to actually figure out what the real deal is. It should all just work. All the charging networks should sync data about their networks with each other and with mapping services at least daily, and arguably every minute.
  • When I search for charging stations, it'd be good if I could easily find ones in places I'd actually want to spend time. Car dealerships and apartment complexes not so much. 25 kW stations not so much.

So far, I've not taken any road trips where I need DC fast charging because typically a mix of these things aren't true.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A movie screen and vending machine. So we could have a drive-in movie experience while we charge :)

Otherwise I want them to be free and placed up front for priority/visibility. Then add a weight sensor and alarm/tire spikes to shame any ICE that steals the spot.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'll have to kindly disagree. I enjoy some free L2 charging myself but DCFC is one of those things that are a necessity. Free ones will just invite local freeloaders. For road trips, paying for DCFC is perfectly fine especially when you have higher confidence it won't be camped-out by a local freeloader.

I can probably get on board with 30 min of free charging via a user's charging card, but I fear some people may abuse this by setting up multiple accounts (through friends or family) and swiping a different card for another 30 min.

Makes me wonder if a DCFC station can just block a specific vehicle VIN from free charging more than 30 min per day. I'm not even sure DCFC communicates the vehicle's VIN to the charging station. It'd be nice to thwart free loaders using multiple accounts to game a 30-min free charge system.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Nowhere in the original post was DCFC specified - go back and read it.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
To the home-based, 32amp charging station? Nothing. Thankfully, it does what it's supposed to do.

To the portable, 32 amp charging thingy? Nothing (see above).

To the only "destination" Chargepoint station (25 amp) I have practical use for? The capability to work, because it was kaput last two times I tried to charge.

To all charging stations? I wish they were as easy to find as gas stations are.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Even here in the rural hills of WV, we seem to have plenty of Level-2, destination, EVSE. Many hotels and State Park Lodges, where you need them, have them. Every RV Park and KoA campground has many NEMA 14-50 outlets, all of which are 50 amps. If your home EVSE is portable (plugged) you are set. However, not all Level-2 EVSE are 32 amp! Many are limited to 16 amp (10-12 rmpch [range miles per charging hour]) and the site maps do NOT indicate this!! That is a quick and easy fix.

Level-2 was never intended for “a charge on-the-go”, however. All throughout the non-coastal USA we need more Non-Tesla DCFC. We do not have them close enough for the EVs we have now. In two years we will need multiple plugs at far more multiple stations. Technology advances will improve EVSEs, for sure, but the currently available models won’t be obsolete for 20 years, have a ROI of less than 3 years, and most upgrades (within those 20 years) will NOT involve retrenching/rewiring, just “box” replacement.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Nowhere in the original post was DCFC specified - go back and read it.
Correct sir, I made a bad assumption. My answer still kind of works since I admit I take advantage of free L2 myself. I could get along with free L2 as long as everyone can get along.

In the case of L2, more plugs would be nice with capacity to keep up 40A levels of charging for a dual-port station.

·
Registered
676 Posts
A movie screen and vending machine. So we could have a drive-in movie experience while we charge :)

Otherwise I want them to be free and placed up front for priority/visibility. Then add a weight sensor and alarm/tire spikes to shame any ICE that steals the spot.
Nooooooooo..... I've been to too many gas stations that BLARE doggone videos at ya... you can't mute them and must endure the whole time you're pumping. How many adverts could they play while I'm there 30 minutes???? noooooooooooooo.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts