Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, "Steering Assist is Restricted Drive with Care" came up on the display, as I left home and got on the freeway.
It didn't come back and steering felt fine. Anyone experienced this before ? Glitch ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
This morning, "Steering Assist is Restricted Drive with Care" came up on the display, as I left home and got on the freeway.
It didn't come back and steering felt fine. Anyone experienced this before ? Glitch ?
This same question was asked on another forum and this was the response from Chevy Customer Care.

"We appreciate you reaching out! This message may appear when:

- The steering wheel is turned until it reaches the end of its travel and is held against that position for an extended period of time.

- The power steering assist is used for an extended period of time.

Normal use of the power steering assist should return when the system cools down. If you're still seeing this message pop up, we would encourage you to bring your Bolt EV into your certified dealership. We want to make sure our technicians have the opportunity to thoroughly inspect your vehicle and address this concern."

·
Registered
36 Posts
This GM response seems like BS to me. This happened to my car today exactly as it did to the other user and I wasn't using the steering any more than normal. I drive the car very safely and controlled. I was not using the steering in any excessive way like lock-to-lock turns or anything like that.

I looked at all of my fluids and they seem to be at the correct levels.

I would keep an eye on this cuz it could be something more serious.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
I looked at all of my fluids and they seem to be at the correct levels.
Looking at your fluids won't help. The power steering on the Bolt is strictly electric. We have seen at least one Bolt with lube leaking from the steering rack seal. If it runs low, the added friction might overheat the servo motor. Just a guess.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
This GM response seems like BS to me.
Yeah, they're confusing "steering assist" with "power steering" - those are two entirely different things altogether.

Steering assist depends on the camera in front of the rear view mirror working properly. The first thing I'd check is that there isn't something like a baked-on bird dropping obscuring it.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Yeah, they're confusing "steering assist" with "power steering" - those are two entirely different things altogether.
Nope. The steering rack is "assisted" electrically, whether it is receiving signals from the steering wheel, or from a computer. Still the same system.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Nope. The steering rack is "assisted" electrically, whether it is receiving signals from the steering wheel, or from a computer. Still the same system.
OK, I interpreted "steering assist" as meaning "lane keeping assist" - I guess that was a bad assumption on my part.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have seen at least one Bolt with lube leaking from the steering rack seal. If it runs low, the added friction might overheat the servo motor. Just a guess.
Thanks for this information. If it comes back I'll take it to the dealer for sure. My bolts was one of the first one ever made in 2016. I am sure it's probably related to what you're saying. I just barely passed 5K miles on it BTW.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Electric power steering assist was being developed by GM way back in the 1980s when the Pontiac Fiero was introduced. Since it was the only rear-engine GM vehicle at the time, using a regular hydraulic power steering assist required long hydraulic hoses from the pump and engine in the rear to the front mounted rack, GM did develop the electric version but I doubt it was ever used in the Fiero after the "bean counters" in GM management had the Fiero discontinued due to loss of sales.

Modern GM vehicles have the electrical power assistance as a replacement for the older hydraulic system. My 2009 (Gen 1) Chevy Equinox has electrical power steering, so I understand how it works. The "warning" may have been due to the assist motor heating up, as I have read about it in the Equinox Service Manual. The recommended solution is to let the vehicle rest so the motor cools down. Some modern vehicles have a special computer that can receive control signals and activate the electric motor with no driver input, so this is what makes the "Steering Assist" and "Park Assist" systems operate,

The great advantage of the newer electric power steering systems is lesser failures and no maintenance needed, in addition to lesser engine loads, one less belt and pulley, and one less fluid to check under the hood. In a true electric vehicle, such as the Chevy Bolt EV, the electric power steering is needed. Just remember not to force turning the steering wheel when the vehicle is not moving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What does this mean?

" . Just remember not to force turning the steering wheel when the vehicle is not moving."

Are you saying I can only turn the steering wheel when the car is moving?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Are you saying I can only turn the steering wheel when the car is moving?
Did you ever drive an old model big car without power steering? It takes considerable effort to scrub the tires left or right standing still. Get moving slightly and it feels like power steering just kicked in, turning is easy. (Because now the tires roll toward the intended direction).

Probably the same physics here.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Electric power steering assist was being developed by GM way back in the 1980s when the Pontiac Fiero was introduced. Since it was the only rear-engine GM vehicle at the time, using a regular hydraulic power steering assist required long hydraulic hoses from the pump and engine in the rear to the front mounted rack, GM did develop the electric version but I doubt it was ever used in the Fiero after the "bean counters" in GM management had the Fiero discontinued due to loss of sales.
I have a 1987 Pontiac Fiero. It definitely doesn't have any electric steering assist. Didn't need it as the car being so light and due to the weight distribution. Car really had great feeling through the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I got that warning once while in a parking lot. I don't know why I wanted to straighten the wheels but for some reason I did. Then I continued my lunch watching some Youtube then the message popped on my dash a minute or two later. I thought it was just a nanny function as it stayed away after I dismissed it.

Didn't know it was bad, though. Have always done it as an OCD on older cars including my "old" Gen 2 Volt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW, I just took my Bolt in for the software updates and mentioned that I had this Steering Assist warning pop up a couple of times. The tech found a service bulletin (2810625?) and reprogrammed my power steering control module. Don't know if this will fix the problem, but GM is aware.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've gotten this a few times while descending the winding road from my hilltop home. The steering isn't affected, so the warning is bogus, and I certainly haven't been cranking the steering wheel into the stops, so the official explanation is unhelpful. Just one of those things, I guess.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I've gotten this a few times while descending the winding road from my hilltop home. The steering isn't affected, so the warning is bogus, and I certainly haven't been cranking the steering wheel into the stops, so the official explanation is unhelpful. Just one of those things, I guess.
This happens after getting the firmware update for this issue?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts