Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '19 Bolt with just 1400 miles on it started squeaking in cold weather--when turning steering wheel and also in front steering column/suspension when going over a bump.
I've had it into the dealer twice now, and it's in for a 3rd time. The first time they replace the wheel ball joints. The 2nd time they greased up a few parts in the steering.
Still squeaking.

I'm waiting to hear from them this morning on the 3rd effort. They said they had been in touch with Chevy. The mechanics have heard the squeaking and are aware of the issue.

What's a suitable response here if they can't fix it? The car is perfect except for this issue. Will they give me another car?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My '19 Bolt with just 1400 miles on it started squeaking in cold weather--when turning steering wheel and also in front steering column/suspension when going over a bump.
I've had it into the dealer twice now, and it's in for a 3rd time. The first time they replace the wheel ball joints. The 2nd time they greased up a few parts in the steering.
Still squeaking.

I'm waiting to hear from them this morning on the 3rd effort. They said they had been in touch with Chevy. The mechanics have heard the squeaking and are aware of the issue.

What's a suitable response here if they can't fix it? The car is perfect except for this issue. Will they give me another car?
The dealer contacted the GM Technical Assistance Center and they finally solved the squeaking problem. The dealer replaced the left tie rod on their troubleshooting instructions, and also did a required wheel alignment. I have a copy of their troubleshooting instructions which they emailed to the dealer.

When I drove the car home there was no squeaking at near freezing temperatures, and the front suspension seemed more solid. No chatter.

I thank the dealer for staying with this problem, and GM TAC for their expertise in solving it.

Anybody else gets squeaking in the front end or steering wheel in cold weather, check the tie rods.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Still squeaking.

I had the problem with the steering column. The dealer had to do a full replacement. Once that was done, the problem went away.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Glad to hear the system worked for you and the problem was so easily solved. The question is why a squeak in a new tie rod end and why only the left?

(BTW, the resident conspiracy theorists will be along pointing out this front suspension squeak is proof the Bolt is a failed experiment.)

jack vines

·
Registered
858 Posts
I wonder if it was the Rubber somewhere on it/around it?
It does seem odd to only do 1 side.
If you look on the paper they give you , see if they say WHY they think that was it?
I would be curious to know.

Also, What kind of Squeak were you getting? like Speed bump old car shocks squeak?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have this issue. I live in CA and garage my car so it usually lives in a warmer climate. I recently went on a trip to Reno and the car was parked outside in cold weather and when I went to drive it the steering wheel made quite a squeal which I quickly realized was coming from the suspension. It would also squeak going over any bumps. It has made it a few times since on the way back but has gone away since being garaged again. Wondering how I will be able to reproduce this for the service dept?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just give them the car overnight, so they can check it in the morning--if the temperature is cold enough--below 50 degF.

I guess you haven't seen my follow ups on this problem. It took 3 trips to the dealer to solve the problem--the front steering tie rod. GM Tech center got involved, and sent a troubleshooting guide to the dealer. Haven't had any problem since.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still squeaking.

My tie rod issue seems to have returned after a year's absence, with the cold weather in the NE lately --in the 40s this morning. Same squeaking of the steering wheel.
I called a Concierge at Chevrolet , and told her about the recurrence of the tie rod problem, and also asked about the buyback program.
She had all my records in front of her, and immediately initiated initiated the buyback process for my car. I only have 3650 miles on my '19 Bolt, and have haven't driven much the past year due to covid. She said they would get back to me in a day or two. I said I wanted another Bolt with the same equipment, as I liked the car.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
183 Posts
I have this issue. I live in CA and garage my car so it usually lives in a warmer climate. I recently went on a trip to Reno and the car was parked outside in cold weather and when I went to drive it the steering wheel made quite a squeal which I quickly realized was coming from the suspension. It would also squeak going over any bumps. It has made it a few times since on the way back but has gone away since being garaged again. Wondering how I will be able to reproduce this for the service dept?
Not sure if it’s the same issue but I have a new 2021 bolt with 750 miles three weeks old. This morning when I took it out of the garage 60° outside there’s steering wheel made a rubbing noise and when I went down my block I heard some noise from the front end like the suspension squeaking. Is this still a known issue. Funny I haven’t heard it before. I just drove the car 10 miles and when I stopped the steering wheel was still squeaking it’s like a rubbing low noise sound

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure if it’s the same issue but I have a new 2021 bolt with 750 miles three weeks old. This morning when I took it out of the garage 60° outside there’s steering wheel made a rubbing noise and when I went down my block I heard some noise from the front end like the suspension squeaking. Is this still a known issue. Funny I haven’t heard it before. I just drove the car 10 miles and when I stopped the steering wheel was still squeaking it’s like a rubbing low noise sound
New 21 LT owner here with 1000 miles on the odometer. Driver-side squeaking/squealing during turning and driving over bumps... it's annoying AF. Doing some research on possible remedies before scheduling a service appointment with Chevy. Not a happy new owner to say the least.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
183 Posts
New 21 LT owner here with 1000 miles on the odometer. Driver-side squeaking/squealing during turning and driving over bumps... it's annoying AF. Doing some research on possible remedies before scheduling a service appointment with Chevy. Not a happy new owner to say the least.
I have another thread here where I discussed bringing my vehicle into the dealership for repair. It’s still there and it seems that they’re replacing the strut and strut bushing. They’re waiting for the strut to be delivered tomorrow. My car has been in the shop for a week now and they’ve been working with GM technical services to figure out the issue. The best thing was when I brought the car in the service advisor and I took a test drive and he heard the creaking squeaking sound. He then drove the car with the technician and was able to duplicate the sound as well. I think that’s the first step, for them to hear the noise. Therefore they can start diagnosing. The dealership where I bought the car has not seen this issue before. Hope things turn out well for boy of us and our cars!l

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have another thread here where I discussed bringing my vehicle into the dealership for repair. It’s still there and it seems that they’re replacing the strut and strut bushing. They’re waiting for the strut to be delivered tomorrow. My car has been in the shop for a week now and they’ve been working with GM technical services to figure out the issue. The best thing was when I brought the car in the service advisor and I took a test drive and he heard the creaking squeaking sound. He then drove the car with the technician and was able to duplicate the sound as well. I think that’s the first step, for them to hear the noise. Therefore they can start diagnosing. The dealership where I bought the car has not seen this issue before. Hope things turn out well for boy of us and our cars!l
I have this exact problem. The dealership replaced my steering rod and control arms. It made it better but still squeaks during the cold morning.

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet BOLT LT
27 Posts
Use my video if you still have the issue.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have this exact problem. The dealership replaced my steering rod and control arms. It made it better but still squeaks during the cold morning.
Yeah, they finally fixed it by replacing the front steering rod. No squeaks for about a year. But now some squeaking again on mornings below 50 degF. Goes away quickly, but in my experience it can get worse during the winter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately for now my car only gets bad in the cold... I am glad I took this video but now fear I will be a guinea pig like the rest of us....

I have the same issue, some suspension parts were replaced but the noise is worst and there is a clink or tock in the sterring.

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
Unfortunately for now my car only gets bad in the cold... I am glad I took this video but now fear I will be a guinea pig like the rest of us....
Are you sure that's not just the noise of the tires rubbing on your concrete? Whipping the wheel back and forth while the car is stationery places a lot of stress on all the steering components - does it still sound like that if you're rolling slowly?

1 - 20 of 190 Posts