Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep. Had mine repaired a month ago - tech consulted other dealer techs. i think i sent the entire work order to this or another list. So did they fix it or just order the parts??

·
Registered
2020 LT w/ ht steering
46 Posts
Yep. Had mine repaired a month ago - tech consulted other dealer techs. i think i sent the entire work order to this or another list. So did they fix it or just order the parts??
They must have had the parts lying around. Once they knew what to do, they were done in a few hours

·
Registered
2020 LT w/ ht steering
46 Posts
Finally got into the dealer. They applied a "service bulletin". When they test drove it, the squeak came back. They called to tell me they needed to consult Chevrolet. My car was in a total of 56 hours.

2020 LT built in Nov '20. Bought in April '21 8k miles.

I live just North of Seattle if anyone needs a recommendation on which dealer.

I've dealt with 3 dealers so far. 2 were wonderful and 1 was absolutely embarrassing.
Squeak came back.identical to before. Will post when they find out what was actually wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Exactly. First visit, checked and tightened struts but checked with other techs at other dealers, ordered new tie rods and installed. Tech said the old ones squeaked coming "out of the box." New ones seem fine. Although here in CA haven't had really cold mornings, when noise was worst. Here's the explanation, including how they did a full alignment you can use for your dealer. Good luck.
Exactly. First visit, checked and tightened struts but checked with other techs at other dealers, ordered new tie rods and installed. Tech said the old ones squeaked coming "out of the box." New ones seem fine. Although here in CA haven't had really cold mornings, when noise was worst. Here's the explanation, including how they did a full alignment you can use for your dealer. Good luck.
Thanks for the link. I have an appointment next week. Rained a lot in Tucson these past months and temps dropped into the 50s-60s. I have only 3025mi on my '20. This is not an isolated problem, and I am glad that sites like this exist.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pissed off to see this thread has been going on for a while 😡

Mine started to squeak about a week ago. I've read the thread but is it my understanding the fix is to torque suspension bolts to specs? Or replace tie rods? Need to know before I talk to these dumbasses up at the dealer. Thanks.
What was your outcome? I have an appointment next week

·
Registered
31 Posts
Has your "squeak" issue returned after the tie rod replacement? Neptuneinja said his noise returned .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did the dealer mention what bushing it was or are they just guessing. I narrowed the issue down my self. I added white lithium grease (WD40 White Lithium Grease Spray) to the boot at the bottom of the steering column. The boot is actually too tall and is rubbing the metal connection on the steering column. What you hear when the vehicle goes over a hump or a hill is the steering column and boot rubbing internally. The boot is defective and does not lubricate the steering column properly. When you add the grease it does work, but if the vehicle sits the squeaking will begin again for the onset of the ride until the grease spread once again. Please report concerns to the Federal Government via NHTSA.
My '20 started making this noise recently. I felt the same way that you do. But, I attempted to shoot silicone spray into the boot/seal from inside the footwell but no luck. It sure sounds like dry rubber to rubber abrasion. I can understand the "tunneling" effect that you describe will cause the noise to reappear until any lube reaches the needed parts. In cold weather lube flows slower and wet weather may be washing away the lube. Did you ever have success with "packing" the steering column through footwell seal with grease? Even temporarily? I can't believe it is tie rods, steering rack except the rack seal where the column enters the rack. Can that firewall seal be removed with out releasing the column?

181 - 190 of 190 Posts