Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Try a different dealership. 1st dealership I took my car to didn't fix anything. Not even the alignment, when they claim they did. Steering was still offcentered and pulled to the right. 2nd dealership was great. Worked on my car for almost 4 weeks 3 different visits to properly diagnose and resolved both the squeak and alignment issue.
Ive BEEN to different 3 dealers. All for those same issues and NONE of the dealers have fixed it...

The next closest dealer is 45 min away with no way to get home and thats going after the 2 that are 30 miles away and the "local one" 15 miles away.

Im so done with dealer games GM has said my car is a lemon...

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's good. At least they are taking responsibility and making it a lemon. What are they offering you? Buyback?

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's good. At least they are taking responsibility and making it a lemon. What are they offering you? Buyback?
I paid 26k + 3300 in taxes.

Paid/Payable: $40,882.22

Current Registration: $525.74

Mileage Offset @798 miles: waived

Rebate: -$8.500.00

Subtotal: $32,907.96

Attorney Fees: $15,000.00

Total: $47,907.96

·
Registered
50 Posts
Slight update from me.

It has been really hot here, 95-103 degrees.

Bolt not squeaking when over like 87 degrees.

That is all.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
29 Posts
Nnnnnnoooooooooo!
That sucks, after all that effort. Arg.
Yeah, I’m noticing it more going over bumps than with turning which is interesting. And it seems when it comes from the steering, it’s only when turning the wheel to the left. Dropped it back off yesterday, so hopefully they are able to diagnose it. It’s starting to really warm up in the Seattle area (over 85) so I’m worried they won’t be able to recreate it. We will see.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
183 Posts
Yeah, I’m noticing it more going over bumps than with turning which is interesting. And it seems when it comes from the steering, it’s only when turning the wheel to the left. Dropped it back off yesterday, so hopefully they are able to diagnose it. It’s starting to really warm up in the Seattle area (over 85) so I’m worried they won’t be able to recreate it. We will see.
I really think it’s the strut bushing and the strut

·
Registered
50 Posts
Man, after all that, it still squeaking...... that suckos.
The only "squeaking when turning left and over bumps" issues is more proof it may be the driver side strut and/or bushing.....

Perhaps you can ask them to check the strut under that TSB notice? About the strut?
Looseness can also cause squeaking......

The problem: in affected vehicles, the front left hand side suspension struts to the body fasteners may not be torqued properly, which may lead to the struts coming loose.
The fix: GM dealers will be instructed to check the front left hand side suspension strut and ensure it has been torqued down properly. If the strut is loose, dealers will tighten it to spec or, if necessary, replace the fastener bolt entirely.

Contacts:

• General Motors Customer Satisfaction Program number: N212336520
  • Chevrolet customer service: 1-800-222-1020
  • NHTA Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236
  • NHTSA Hearing Impaired (TTY): 800-424-9153

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
29 Posts
I really think it’s the strut bushing and the strut
The only "squeaking when turning left and over bumps" issues is more proof it may be the driver side strut and/or bushing.....

Perhaps you can ask them to check the strut under that TSB notice? About the strut?

The problem: in affected vehicles, the front left hand side suspension struts to the body fasteners may not be torqued properly, which may lead to the struts coming loose.
The fix: GM dealers will be instructed to check the front left hand side suspension strut and ensure it has been torqued down properly. If the strut is loose, dealers will tighten it to spec or, if necessary, replace the fastener bolt entirely.

Contacts:

Yeah I’ve mentioned it to them before but they didn’t really seem to actually consider it. I’ll try to ask them again tomorrow and I’ll mention the bulletin as well. I’m still glad they replaced the parts in the steering column because there was definitely something defective there as well, but definitely frustrating that it’s not gone.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
183 Posts

Contacts:

The dealership that I worked with in Southern California worked with GM. GM solution was to tighten and lubricate. Service manager said you’ll be back in a couple of weeks so I’m not gonna do that. He ordered the parts one came in the next day and the other a few days later. Once they changed the parts never had an issue again. All I can speak is from my experience and when I keep on hearing people having the same issue over and over and not changing those parts I like to chime in

·
Registered
51 Posts
The dealership that I worked with in Southern California worked with GM. GM solution was to tighten and lubricate. Service manager said you’ll be back in a couple of weeks so I’m not gonna do that. He ordered the parts one came in the next day and the other a few days later. Once they changed the parts never had an issue again. All I can speak is from my experience and when I keep on hearing people having the same issue over and over and not changing those parts I like to chime in
I went to premier as you advised and their solution for me was the outer tie rods. 2 weeks and still no noise. So I'm satisfied for now.

·
Registered
2020 LT w/ ht steering
46 Posts
I'm in Vancouver here on the wet coast, and my 2017 Bolt has never had this issue.
I'm near Seattle, we've had a near-record lack of rain. Mine rolled out October 2020. I'll be shocked if its not a manufacturing flaw. If enough of us get the repair, they'll be able to pinpoint which VIN are affected and we wont have to struggle at the service department.

·
Registered
2020 LT w/ ht steering
46 Posts
GM has given us a major runaround and we all should be contacting our State Attorney General on this matter. We all love the vehicle but the truth of the matter is that we paid for a working vehicle and not a science project. Our time is all important and we should not have to waste it at some "independently owned dealership" paying diagnostic fees and hoping that the one lonely EV mechanic at the dealership in charge of a $40,000 plus dollar vehicle will find the problem. Please report your issues to NHTSA, BBB and AG office and demand they fix the issue. Please do not make a request of repair for something you paid handsomely for. We all support green energy, now lets demand the best, not a cash grab.
I've worked in quality assurance in some form for 20 years. At every turn, you will find a group of "zero-sum" thinkers espousing the same disease.

There is nothing wrong with lean-manufactuing. However, if you are physically excited at the idea of laying off human inspectors, this sort of failure is your reckoning.

Hundreds dead in 737's. GM themselves killed more than 100 humans just with ignition switch failures.

How many humans in jail for these intentional neglects?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know how many 'squeaky steering wheels in cold weather' are out there, but there seem to be quite a few here. I know the GM tech center sent a troubleshooting email to my dealer--I saw it--and they were able to solve the problem for about a year by replacing a tie rod. But the problem recurred two months ago on an unusually cold morning (about 45 degF), just before I sold the car back to GM and bought a '22 EUV. Hopefully, that problem is behind me. Which is one reason why I bought a '22, not a '21.
We just bought a 2022 EUV and have a little over 1000 miles on it. This was our first cooler night and this morning we have a squeak in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
183 Posts
We just bought a 2022 EUV and have a little over 1000 miles on it. This was our first cooler night and this morning we have a squeak in the steering wheel.
I had a little squeak early on in my steering wheel..either I became a custom to it or went away. When I brought my car in for the strut service, I had the dealership check it out and they said that it was normal.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
7 Posts
I'm also in the Seattle area, but I still haven't taken mine in again for the squeak/squeal (squeakle?), but will soon. I've ordered a replacement car (2021 Polestar 2), and will be selling my Bolt to my mother, but will remain on the title (just to be safe, should any Lemon Laws apply); pretty sure I read that they have to be given 3 attempts to resolve the issue, and it's when the issue presents itself a 4th time for reconciliation that you can claim the Lemon Law. I gotta brush up on those specifics though.

That said, the car was quiet as a church mouse today. Might be gone forever, but I really doubt that will be the case.

I'll update again as the saga continues.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So, about 2 plus weeks ago, dealer tech said they were in touch with other GM techs and said the problem was NOT the struts (although they tightened them) but tie rods, which were "back-ordered." Told they'd be in within 2 weeks - will be calling them tomorrow...it's 100 plus here every day and I've heard nothing. But in my case, only colder (below 70) seemed to cause the squeak/grinding. Sigh. I just got this car to replace the 2019 "catch on fire" Bolt.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
29 Posts
Yeah I’ve mentioned it to them before but they didn’t really seem to actually consider it. I’ll try to ask them again tomorrow and I’ll mention the bulletin as well. I’m still glad they replaced the parts in the steering column because there was definitely something defective there as well, but definitely frustrating that it’s not gone.
So my car is back at the dealer. They are replacing the lower control arm and they discovered some play in the tie rod, so they are replacing that too.

I know this is a little off topic, but I just got the news about the battery recall on the 2021s. I’m pretty disappointed. I really love this car, so I hope they can get everything (weird noises and fire hazards) sorted out pretty quickly.

Overall, my confidence is pretty low at this point.

141 - 160 of 190 Posts