Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
So my car is back at the dealer. They are replacing the lower control arm and they discovered some play in the tie rod, so they are replacing that too.

I know this is a little off topic, but I just got the news about the battery recall on the 2021s. I’m pretty disappointed. I really love this car, so I hope they can get everything (weird noises and fire hazards) sorted out pretty quickly.

Overall, my confidence is pretty low at this point.

So my car is back at the dealer. They are replacing the lower control arm and they discovered some play in the tie rod, so they are replacing that too.

I know this is a little off topic, but I just got the news about the battery recall on the 2021s. I’m pretty disappointed. I really love this car, so I hope they can get everything (weird noises and fire hazards) sorted out pretty quickly.

Overall, my confidence is pretty low at this point.
So, feel same way, that maybe should not have bought new 2021 after the buyback of my 2019 a couple months ago. But, oh well, for now. Curious, are they fixing your tie rod, etc. now or did they have to order parts like I was told by my dealer?? Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welp, I guess the squeak is now a non-issue for me......
since I have already asked for the buyback from GM yesterday......

Will they do it?
How much is the buyback?
How long will it take?

Who knows.
I'm out tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2021 Bolt owner with 1700 miles on the clock. My squeak started about a month ago. Similar to everyone else, the steering wheel squeaks when just sitting still, also squeaks over bumps. Took it in a few weeks ago and was told it was a defective steering column.
Fast forward to today, dropped it off and was told it would take three hours. Eight hours later, got a call and was told they were having trouble getting the new column to work properly. I asked for the old column. Was told with updates they couldn’t go backwards. So any way they can’t get it to work and was told by GM that the replacement is defective as well.
Anyway have the car back seems to be working exceptfor service power steering soon message that comes up every 15 minutes. Was told the part is on back ordered.
they wanted to give me a loaner but I wanted my car back. So the waiting begins…. Plus the squeak is still there so obviously the column was not the issue.
Wish I would have come across this thread before I took it in, I would have lived with it. Now I’ve got two problems.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
183 Posts
2021 Bolt owner with 1700 miles on the clock. My squeak started about a month ago. Similar to everyone else, the steering wheel squeaks when just sitting still, also squeaks over bumps. Took it in a few weeks ago and was told it was a defective steering column.
Fast forward to today, dropped it off and was told it would take three hours. Eight hours later, got a call and was told they were having trouble getting the new column to work properly. I asked for the old column. Was told with updates they couldn’t go backwards. So any way they can’t get it to work and was told by GM that the replacement is defective as well.
Anyway have the car back seems to be working exceptfor service power steering soon message that comes up every 15 minutes. Was told the part is on back ordered.
they wanted to give me a loaner but I wanted my car back. So the waiting begins…. Plus the squeak is still there so obviously the column was not the issue.
Wish I would have come across this thread before I took it in, I would have lived with it. Now I’ve got two problems.
So sorry to hear about your predicament! Read back a few pages on this thread lots of good information. Best of luck and please keep us posted

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, what a nightmare.
That sucks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lower control arm and tie rod replaced. Squeak is gone for now! Will update in a few weeks.
Well that is good news.
Lets hope it stays silent.

Side note, my car seems to be doing it much less lately.... maybe the part just wore out enough to where it is no longer rubbing enough to squeak?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pissed off to see this thread has been going on for a while 😡

Mine started to squeak about a week ago. I've read the thread but is it my understanding the fix is to torque suspension bolts to specs? Or replace tie rods? Need to know before I talk to these dumbasses up at the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pissed off to see this thread has been going on for a while 😡

Mine started to squeak about a week ago. I've read the thread but is it my understanding the fix is to torque suspension bolts to specs? Or replace tie rods? Need to know before I talk to these dumbasses up at the dealer. Thanks.
1st attempt, they torqued everything down and that did nothing. Eventually, i got my tie rods replaced and it's been quiet as a mouse.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1st attempt, they torqued everything down and that did nothing. Eventually, i got my tie rods replaced and it's been quiet as a mouse.
Exactly. First visit, checked and tightened struts but checked with other techs at other dealers, ordered new tie rods and installed. Tech said the old ones squeaked coming "out of the box." New ones seem fine. Although here in CA haven't had really cold mornings, when noise was worst. Here's the explanation, including how they did a full alignment you can use for your dealer. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Exactly. First visit, checked and tightened struts but checked with other techs at other dealers, ordered new tie rods and installed. Tech said the old ones squeaked coming "out of the box." New ones seem fine. Although here in CA haven't had really cold mornings, when noise was worst. Here's the explanation, including how they did a full alignment you can use for your dealer. Good luck.
it's been a couple months since I had my tie rods replaced, so I was able to test it out in the cold mornings and nights. No squeak. The other morning, i was out at 6am and air temp was in the mid 60s and still no squeak. I'll wait and see how it is during winter, although in S. Cal, it's not real winter, but still gets down to the 50s in the mornings/nights.

Interesting, reading your work order, I had my alignment and steering off centered since the day I took delivery of the car. They finally fixed it after replacing the tie rods and did a 2nd alignment and set the toe.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt Premier
29 Posts
Replacing the tie rods seemed to fix mine as well. It’s been pretty chilly and rainy, and I haven’t heard any creaking!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks all. I'm in Texas so temp hasn't dropped below 70 degrees for months.

I'm going to wait until car gets the recall for the batt. Seen folks on here stating dealers are making customers sign waivers if they don't leave their car at the dealer until batt service/replacement. Not sure if it's real or not but I'm not taking the chance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seen folks on here stating dealers are making customers sign waivers if they don't leave their car at the dealer until batt service/replacement. Not sure if it's real or not but I'm not taking the chance.
Haven't seen that or heard that. I would not sign any waiver for any reason. Got this 2021 about 3 months ago as buyback of my 2019. Thought I was out of the woods by turning the '19 in. A shame, because it had NO problems in 2 and one-half years. This 2021 had the tie rod problem right out of the gate with only 600 miles on it. Sigh.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Haven't seen that or heard that. I would not sign any waiver for any reason. Got this 2021 about 3 months ago as buyback of my 2019. Thought I was out of the woods by turning the '19 in. A shame, because it had NO problems in 2 and one-half years. This 2021 had the tie rod problem right out of the gate with only 600 miles on it. Sigh.
Yep mine had car pull and squeek. Even 2017/18 was just fine

·
Registered
50 Posts
Update on my 2021, I have not heard the squeak for weeks....

Maybe I can't hear it over my simmering anger over the battery fire thing? :-0

But it has also been hot here lately........like 95-105 degreez

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Appears to be a much bigger uncorrected defect in the Bolt than the fires. Though the fires have much greater consequences.

·
Registered
2020 LT w/ ht steering
46 Posts
Finally got into the dealer. They applied a "service bulletin". When they test drove it, the squeak came back. They called to tell me they needed to consult Chevrolet. My car was in a total of 56 hours.

2020 LT built in Nov '20. Bought in April '21 8k miles.

I live just North of Seattle if anyone needs a recommendation on which dealer.

I've dealt with 3 dealers so far. 2 were wonderful and 1 was absolutely embarrassing.

·
Registered
2020 LT w/ ht steering
46 Posts
Finally got into the dealer. They applied a "service bulletin". When they test drove it, the squeak came back. They called to tell me they needed to consult Chevrolet. My car was in a total of 56 hours.

2020 LT built in Nov '20. Bought in April '21 8k miles.

I live just North of Seattle if anyone needs a recommendation on which dealer.

I've dealt with 3 dealers so far. 2 were wonderful and 1 was absolutely embarrassing.
Edit: it was tie rods

161 - 180 of 190 Posts