Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
We are 'down sizing' from two cars to one. Sold our Mitsubishi iMiEV (in a week!), now the challange is to replace our 2016 Prius. Having the iMiEV for six years made me familiar with the ins and outs of owning EVs. One other think id that over 25 years of ownig Toyotas I never ever had any problems with any of their cars. Same story with the Mits. No problem - NADA. 馃槑

At this point I have three candidates, Prius Prime, Hyundai Kona Electric or a Bolt. I never owned a GM product and I never thought that I will even visit one before. In any case, I picked a 2020 Bolt for a (COVID) test drive - no sales guy filling my ears with stuff. Overall I liked the car a lot (less so the seats) but took it home my wife fell in love with it (even the colour - BLUE). Went back to the dealer he gave em an offer, which was in the ballpark of my expectation.

To my surprise the car did not have Smart Cruse. None of the BOLTs have this feature. I use this a lot on my Prius I love this safety feature. So I walked out of the dealership without a nice blue Bolt. Maybe 2021 - better seats and all.

Any comments?

Registered
I would agree, smart cruise is a great feature and the Bolt does not have it, next year the bolt will have super Cruise, which leapfrogs smart Cruise, but that's not the vehicle you're looking at today.

Unfortunately Toyota does not offer a full electric vehicle that can go 260 miles on a charge, only GM has that technology today at a price point many of us can actually afford.

While the Bolt is not a perfect car, no vehicle is in my opinion, it is certainly the best vehicle I've owned in a long time. It offers an amazing driving experience, rapid exhilarating acceleration, the ability to charge at home, not have to refuel at a gas station, and near zero maintenance.

if you search the forums there are many of us here that we're driving Volkswagen golfs, Toyota Camrys, Toyota Prius, and many other competing vehicles that gravitated to the excellent design and super fun to drive Bolt EV.

Good luck in your decision, I can share with you that after driving two battery electric vehicles I can't see my wife and I ever going back to a hybrid or a ICE vehicle.

Registered
To my surprise the car did not have Smart Cruse. None of the BOLTs have this feature. I use this a lot on my Prius I love this safety feature. So I walked out of the dealership without a nice blue Bolt. Maybe 2021 - better seats and all.

Any comments?
GM seemed to skimp on several features early on to offset the cost of the Bolt EV's battery pack. As battery costs come down and GM commits full bore to EVs, you'll see a lot of that tech that many consider a requirement entering various levels of the Bolt. The Bolt EUV, for example, will be the first non-Cadillac product launched with SuperCruise. That's next year though, so it might arrive too late for your needs. A refreshed Bolt EV is also due next year, although perhaps earlier than the EUV, and should address your complaints with the seats... not sure about ACC or some other improved cruise function in that one, however.

In my experience, you'll have the same minimal maintenance with a Bolt EV as your Prius. Very few visits to the dealer and only routine stuff like tires to mess with. And no oil changes (although Chevy will make every attempt to lure you in with a free one from time to time!) Good luck with your decision.

Registered
Hopefully OpenPilot will be officially available before the refreshed Bolt. It's available now but in beta so I'm hoping for an official release. So that's an option if you have a Premier.

Mike

Registered
Ex-Prius Prime owner here. If u need a PHEV, I highly recommend the Prime. But if u want more EV range, for the money I think Bolt is a great choice and with $8500 cash incentives, it will cost less than $30k.
I don't like the seat and the interior of the Bolt compared to Prius Prime. But I chose Bolt because I want a BEV and its affordable. The space inside is nice and roomier because they made the seats narrow.
I am planning on adding some cushions on the seat to make it comfortable.

Goodluck on your search.

Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
Hi!

I know what you mean when you mentioned finding it hard to even consider a Chevrolet or any GM product when you have gotten used to the reliability of Toyota. The general consensus has been very negative for GM over the past 3 or 4 decades.

That reputation has been changing lately without the public鈥檚 attention. The basic bones of Chevy products have always been good. Some of the plastic-y stuff is questionable.

I bought a 2006 Prius and loved that car. I just sold it recently with 144k miles. I bought my wife a 鈥07 Honda Civic sedan the following year, but she didn鈥檛 drive much so we decided to sell it in 2017 and got her a used 2013 Volt. I was hesitant to drop a pile of money on it since both she and I didn鈥檛 know if we would like it or if the 鈥渞ep鈥 was justified, so we bought it used.

Then after getting used to the Volt we both just loved it! The comfort, the electric power, how smoothly the range extender ICE engine came in and out, how QUIET the car was, the exceptional sports car-like handling.... I could go on.
Suddenly I started to notice how inferior the previously beloved Prius was, and in particular the NOISE. That was also the complaint about the Honda Civic: Road noise, feeling every imperfection in the pavement, how the sound system gets turned up to drown it out.

But both Japanese cars will be low maintenance. Until you realize that a Volt has way less maintenance than either of those two. Change oil? When the monitor lets you know it needs to be. If you just run on the battery and the engine just sits there, you have to change the oil at 2 years due to age.

And then you find out that a Bolt or any BEV doesn鈥檛 need any maintenance other than rotate tires. May never have to change brake pads ever if you use one-pedal driving.

I have never been in a Prius Prime but my parents own a 2014 Prius Plug-in. I see some improvement over the 鈥06. I鈥檓 sure the Prime is a scotch better than a Plug-in. But I will just say this: a Bolt is a HUGE jump in progress over the Plug-in. Road noise and engine kicking in and out all the time.

I think you just might be blown-away if you spend some time with a Bolt. And take it from a previous GM doubter, this is not your father鈥檚 Chevrolet. No more foreign cars for me until they show me something better than my Bolt. And I will never go back to gasoline after this car.

hope that helps

edit: I didn鈥檛 want to say it before but you have to face the reality that every single Prius made from day one is the new VW microbus, as in the SNAIL of cars. I used to be so embarrassed when any car could out-accelerate me. It鈥檚 nice to have the shoe on the other foot.

Registered
I have never been in a Prius Prime but my parents own a 2014 Prius Plug-in. I see some improvement over the 鈥06. I鈥檓 sure the Prime is a scotch better than a Plug-in. But I will just say this: a Bolt is a HUGE jump in progress over the Plug-in. Road noise and engine kicking in and out all the time.

I think you just might be blown-away if you spend some time with a Bolt. And take it from a previous GM doubter, this is not your father鈥檚 Chevrolet. No more foreign cars for me until they show me something better than my Bolt. And I will never go back to gasoline after this car.

edit: I didn鈥檛 want to say it before but you have to face the reality that every single Prius made from day one is the new VW microbus, as in the SNAIL of cars. I used to be so embarrassed when any car could out-accelerate me. It鈥檚 nice to have the shoe on the other foot.
Prime is way ahead of 2014 Plug-in, though I never owned a 2016 plug-in. The technology and features on Prime is very nice. It even has an adaptive cruise control that Bolt doesn't have. But if the OPs drive is less than 20 miles round trip and want the flexibility of a PHEV, then Prime is perfect. Prime in ICE mode is 55mpg.
Another thing, Prime in EV mode has fast acceleration as well, though not that fast as the Bolt. But once its in ICE mode, good luck on that. This is the reason I switch to BEV. Once you experience EV mode driving, I hate it once ICE kicks in on my Prime.

Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premier w/ driver confidence 2 and infotainment packages in Silver Mist
Prime is way ahead of 2014 Plug-in, though I never owned a 2016 plug-in. The technology and features on Prime is very nice. It even has an adaptive cruise control that Bolt doesn't have. But if the OPs drive is less than 20 miles round trip and want the flexibility of a PHEV, then Prime is perfect. Prime in ICE mode is 55mpg.
Another thing, Prime in EV mode has fast acceleration as well, though not that fast as the Bolt. But once its in ICE mode, good luck on that. This is the reason I switch to BEV. Once you experience EV mode driving, I hate it once ICE kicks in on my Prime.
I guess I just have one question about the latest Prius:

Can you hear the ICE engine when it鈥檚 running and hear/feel every unevenness in tire noise transfer into the cabin?

Ok, 2 questions: is it just me or does anyone else think the Prius Prime is too UGLY to be caught dead in? (sorry, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I seriously want to puke).

Registered

Can you hear the ICE engine when it鈥檚 running and hear/feel every unevenness in tire noise transfer into the cabin?

Ok, 2 questions: is it just me or does anyone else think the Prius Prime is too UGLY to be caught dead in? (sorry, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I seriously want to puke).
I definitely hear the ICE engine once it starts running. About tire noise, I dont think tire noise is that loud.
I bought my Prime because of its features and being a plug-in BUT not its look :D.

Registered
I definitely hear the ICE engine once it starts running. About tire noise, I dont think tire noise is that loud.
I bought my Prime because of its features and being a plug-in BUT not its look :D.
Hey I鈥檓 not saying that the Bolt is an eye-catcher either. It takes some time to grow on ya. But I couldn鈥檛 ever get used to the way a Prime looks. And I am not putting down Prime owners because the 鈥06 Prius I had grew on me even though I thought it was a very strange looking car when I bought it. $4/gal gas can make anything that goes twice as far look beautiful.

That said, there is still only one PHEV at the top of the heap. If you never owned one you probably not know what I鈥檓 raving about. The Chevy Volt is a very special car. I was torn about getting the 2nd version or the Bolt EV. I will still say it is WAY more comfortable than the Bolt although harder to get in a out of. Quieter. Almost as fast. Absolute lack of range anxiety. Handling is better. The original version (11-15) is a very handsome car and the 2nd version is sexy.
55 miles of battery only takes care of most trips, and the 19 kWh battery will not put you in tier 3.

Gets my vote for best PHEV. But let鈥檚 face it. PHEV鈥檚 are the stepping stone to BEV. That is why I decided to get a Bolt. That and I gotta have a hatchback or I might have gotten a Model 3.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11

You are funny! I am driving my second Prius the 2008 lasted and traded kin 2016. I reacall the whining of the media about the 'stupied' split rear window. Hahh... check the cars today and count them. I loved both. But as you said beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Registered
Hey I鈥檓 not saying that the Bolt is an eye-catcher either. It takes some time to grow on ya. But I couldn鈥檛 ever get used to the way a Prime looks. And I am not putting down Prime owners because the 鈥06 Prius I had grew on me even though I thought it was a very strange looking car when I bought it. $4/gal gas can make anything that goes twice as far look beautiful.

That said, there is still only one PHEV at the top of the heap. If you never owned one you probably not know what I鈥檓 raving about. The Chevy Volt is a very special car. I was torn about getting the 2nd version or the Bolt EV. I will still say it is WAY more comfortable than the Bolt although harder to get in a out of. Quieter. Almost as fast. Absolute lack of range anxiety. Handling is better. The original version (11-15) is a very handsome car and the 2nd version is sexy.
55 miles of battery only takes care of most trips, and the 19 kWh battery will not put you in tier 3.

Gets my vote for best PHEV. But let鈥檚 face it. PHEV鈥檚 are the stepping stone to BEV. That is why I decided to get a Bolt. That and I gotta have a hatchback or I might have gotten a Model 3.
I totally agree with you that PHEV is a gateway to BEV plus the hatchback (previous Honda Fit owner). This is what led me into buying my Bolt.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
I would agree, smart cruise is a great feature and the Bolt does not have it, next year the bolt will have super Cruise, which leapfrogs smart Cruise, but that's not the vehicle you're looking at today.

Unfortunately Toyota does not offer a full electric vehicle that can go 260 miles on a charge, only GM has that technology today at a price point many of us can actually afford.

While the Bolt is not a perfect car, no vehicle is in my opinion, it is certainly the best vehicle I've owned in a long time. It offers an amazing driving experience, rapid exhilarating acceleration, the ability to charge at home, not have to refuel at a gas station, and near zero maintenance.

if you search the forums there are many of us here that we're driving Volkswagen golfs, Toyota Camrys, Toyota Prius, and many other competing vehicles that gravitated to the excellent design and super fun to drive Bolt EV.

Good luck in your decision, I can share with you that after driving two battery electric vehicles I can't see my wife and I ever going back to a hybrid or a ICE vehicle.
I am not in a hurry. I have no problem to wait till the 2021 Bolt comes out - assuming it will have adaptive (smart) cruse or whatever various manufacturers call the feature.
In many ways I like my Prius. I have no problem picking "odd looking" cars like our iMiEV and the Prius. I actually like the size and shape of the BOLT, it seems solidly built and offers high seating positikon which is one thing my wife and I are looking for at our mid 70s. But I do have concerns about long time quality.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I totally agree with you that PHEV is a gateway to BEV plus the hatchback (previous Honda Fit owner). This is what led me into buying my Bolt.
Yes, you are correct. Yet, hybrids and PHEVs are environmentally friendly. Let's forget technology for a moment and think about our planet. Millions of hybrids are on the road already. They save gas and as a result reduce air pollution. Only COVID did a better job at this, but at what cost? This is my 12th year driving a hybrid.

Last but not least, hybrids and PHEVs are affordable to a large segment of the population, EVs are not so much. As a matter of fact the prices are not coming down as expected. When their margin gets better, manufacturers add fancy "entertainment systems" - lol - and other gadgets, cleverly package them, so you can't even pick and choose, and raise the prices. In Canada EV prices did not drop over the years - except Tesla which is still out my price range.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Hi!

I know what you mean when you mentioned finding it hard to even consider a Chevrolet or any GM product when you have gotten used to the reliability of Toyota. The general consensus has been very negative for GM over the past 3 or 4 decades.

That reputation has been changing lately without the public鈥檚 attention. The basic bones of Chevy products have always been good. Some of the plastic-y stuff is questionable.

I bought a 2006 Prius and loved that car. I just sold it recently with 144k miles. I bought my wife a 鈥07 Honda Civic sedan the following year, but she didn鈥檛 drive much so we decided to sell it in 2017 and got her a used 2013 Volt. I was hesitant to drop a pile of money on it since both she and I didn鈥檛 know if we would like it or if the 鈥渞ep鈥 was justified, so we bought it used.

Then after getting used to the Volt we both just loved it! The comfort, the electric power, how smoothly the range extender ICE engine came in and out, how QUIET the car was, the exceptional sports car-like handling.... I could go on.
Suddenly I started to notice how inferior the previously beloved Prius was, and in particular the NOISE. That was also the complaint about the Honda Civic: Road noise, feeling every imperfection in the pavement, how the sound system gets turned up to drown it out.

But both Japanese cars will be low maintenance. Until you realize that a Volt has way less maintenance than either of those two. Change oil? When the monitor lets you know it needs to be. If you just run on the battery and the engine just sits there, you have to change the oil at 2 years due to age.

And then you find out that a Bolt or any BEV doesn鈥檛 need any maintenance other than rotate tires. May never have to change brake pads ever if you use one-pedal driving.

hope that helps

I know what you mean yet, I recall a VW add comparing the Beatle to the Lunar Module. The message was not hidden. It was spoken out by the narrator as the imiges were rolling "They are both UGLY. But they will carry you home safely." 馃槈

Registered
Yes, you are correct. Yet, hybrids and PHEVs are environmentally friendly. Let's forget technology for a moment and think about our planet. Millions of hybrids are on the road already. They save gas and as a result reduce air pollution. Only COVID did a better job at this, but at what cost? This is my 12th year driving a hybrid.
I hear you bro. I started in 2006 with a Prius. Had to wait 3 months for it because they were an instant hit here in the 鈥渙ther鈥 CA.

Cali has the other distinction of have gas and diesel at a good $1 more than any other state. We got $5 gas when everyone else was complaining about $4 gas.

That and pollution, global warming, PG&E burning our cities/citizens, and orange clowns 馃ぁ

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you bro. I started in 2006 with a Prius. Had to wait 3 months for it because they were an instant hit here in the 鈥渙ther鈥 CA.

Cali has the other distinction of have gas and diesel at a good $1 more than any other state. We got $5 gas when everyone else was complaining about $4 gas.

That and pollution, global warming, PG&E burning our cities/citizens, and orange clowns 馃ぁ
Thanks for clearing up your political affiliation. We, your northern neighbors, are watching with amusement and with concern.

Registered
Thanks for clearing up your political affiliation. We, your northern neighbors, are watching with amusement and with concern.
LOL and right you should be! I鈥檓 less amused and mostly concerned. You guys are the ones that need a wall.

Registered
To respond to OP : "We are 'down sizing' from two cars to one. "

I don't know your situation , esp concerning your driving habits. Do you rarely (never) drive more than 100 miles (160 km) in a day? Take long distance vacation trips? etc.

If you almost never drive far, say over 225mi/350km, maybe twice a year or less, then you can probably get by with a 200+ miles-range BEV. In that situation, you can stop for ONE "fast" recharge to add 140 miles range which isn't too onerous, and if you drive over (say) 1000 km on a trip, you rent a gas car for the weekend (or, as I have done) left my EV with a neighbor/friend for the week and borrowed their gas Prius for the week). For frequent long-distance travel (over 400mi/650km) , nothing compares to a Tesla : lots of superchargers, FAST charging (~150 kW compared to the Bolt's ~55 kW).

Since you live in Canada, something to remember is that the cold will severely reduce your range in winter. Both the cold battery (reduces battery efficiency and thus range) and running the cabin heater & battery pack heater (both suck lots of electrons). Count losing UP TO half your range in extreme cases, but if it is -20C (-4F) then that will be pretty extreme conditions.

If you only have ONE car, it might be prudent to look at a PHEV that meets your needs. If your daily (usual) travel is under (say) 25 miles / 40 km , then most PHEVs electric range will handle a day's driving. Or, if you drive around/under (say) 20 mi during the morning, then can plug in for a few hours before you drive 20 mi in the afternoon, that works too. And, when you want to take a trip, you just put gas in the tank (a 4 minute task) and drive for 300 miles (480 km) until you have to stop for another 5-10 minutes.

I have two vehicles (temporarily three now, since my daughter left her car here 8 months ago to travel). One is a BEV for everyday use, and the other is a low-polluting, high mpg , PZEV gas vehicle. We use the EV 95% of the time and use the gas car when we go on trips or we both need to have a car at the same time. When the gas car is "too old", I will replace it with a PHEV (hopefully one that gets at least 35 miles on electric).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts