Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Bolt was not recovered. Good news is, Progressive gave us a great offer on it so in spite of all of our loss, we will get a new BOLT!

This one will have an airtag in it! This time I know to find out if On-star has been disabled. If you dont know on yours- find out!

On another note - Uhual has been an absolute DRAG to deal with.

Found a nice 21 Premier about 1200 miles from me so I get to do my 2nd cross country EV trip in 4 months. This time Jaxsonville to DesMoines and I wont be stopping in Atlanta!

·
Registered
304 Posts
There is a proper tag that actually reduce car insurance premium

Steering wheel lock that is effective while being easy to put on and off

Don't use the lock and unlock button on your keep fob as thieves could acquire the signal when you use it (keep your key fob in your pocket)
Keep your key fobs in a signal blocker box at home to protect against relay attacks

Turn your front wheels to the left or right when parked this makes it more difficult for thieves to tow your vehicle away

There is also car immobilisers

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,081 Posts
There is a proper tag that actually reduce car insurance premium

Steering wheel lock that is effective while being easy to put on and off

Don't use the lock and unlock button on your keep fob as thieves could acquire the signal when you use it (keep your key fob in your pocket)
Keep your key fobs in a signal blocker box at home to protect against relay attacks

Turn your front wheels to the left or right when parked this makes it more difficult for thieves to tow your vehicle away

There is also car immobilisers
I always turn on the external inertia dampeners. Sometimes I forget to turn it off. ;)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I thought you originally said GM wouldn't provide onstar. I assume that is what you mean on disabled? Suppose crooks could just pull the LTE sim out before you figured which way they are off to.

What kind of a sick twisted maniac would steal a Bolt?

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,377 Posts
I thought you originally said GM wouldn't provide onstar. I assume that is what you mean on disabled? Suppose crooks could just pull the LTE sim out before you figured which way they are off to.

What kind of a sick twisted maniac would steal a Bolt?
Well, there is a significant value in the battery pack whether it is used again in a Bolt, other EV or in an off grid power system.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, there is a significant value in the battery pack whether it is used again in a Bolt, other EV or in an off grid power system.
Bingo. When off grid power capacity starts to become important, Bolts will be a high theft item. However, when it gets to that point (the west runs out of water and power), we'll all be killing each other for a meal and something to drink. Having a car stolen will be the least of our problems.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Bingo. When off grid power capacity starts to become important, Bolts will be a high theft item. However, when it gets to that point (the west runs out of water and power), we'll all be killing each other for a meal and something to drink. Having a car stolen will be the least of our problems.
They need to make a remake of Mad Max using electric cars.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Did the U-Haul truck ever turn up? After they go through the contents, the bad guys normally dump the truck somewhere (after they cut the catalytic converter off of it).

So whose insurance pays for the loss of the truck? The U-Haul website isn't real clear on what happens if the truck is stolen.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
It's maddening this happened to you, but my whole anger when stuff like this happens is that they were rewarded, so that will encourage them to continue to do the same thing to dozens of others. Your suffering is probably less than 1% of the total suffering they cause people (not to diminish the absolute nightmare you are forced to endure).

That's why it's not a petty crime. It's not just a broken window or a stolen bicycle; it's hundreds or thousands.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,081 Posts
Did the U-Haul truck ever turn up? After they go through the contents, the bad guys normally dump the truck somewhere (after they cut the catalytic converter off of it).

So whose insurance pays for the loss of the truck? The U-Haul website isn't real clear on what happens if the truck is stolen.
Yikes, good point!

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you purchase U-Haul's insurance, the truck is (sort of) covered if it is stolen...

U-Haul Safemove Insurance Offers:
Damage waiver Selecting this option eliminates the need from paying U-Haul back for any damages to the moving truck if anything happens during your trip. So, if you dent the side, crack the windshield, or break a side view mirror, you don’t owe U-Haul a penny. If the moving truck is stolen, then you’ll need to prove there was no neglect on your part to be covered by the damage waiver.
:unsure:

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Prove there was no neglect?

That doesn't sound like it can stand any legal test. Besides, that's the point of insurance, to protect against neglect. If people had perfect knowledge, nothing would ever be damaged, lost, or stolen. We're imperfect people and that's why we need insurance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, the Bolt was not recovered. Good news is, Progressive gave us a great offer on it so in spite of all of our loss, we will get a new BOLT!

This one will have an airtag in it! This time I know to find out if On-star has been disabled. If you dont know on yours- find out!

Found a nice 21 Premier about 1200 miles from me so I get to do my 2nd cross country EV trip in 4 months. This time Jaxsonville to DesMoines and I wont be stopping in Atlanta!
I followed your original thread (and feel for you). Maybe I missed it, but I was under the impression that you had the car on a dolly attached to the truck and they drove away with the truck and Bolt. If that is the case, the Bolt may not really have been the target originally, not that it matters except the discussion of other steps you could have taken to prevent the theft is a bit diminished - that is, in this specific case, some of the deterrents like not using key fob, etc.,. wouldn't have mattered - the Bolt was along for the theft. I am not dissing the suggestions, just that they wouldn't have helped in your case.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Prove there was no neglect?

That doesn't sound like it can stand any legal test. Besides, that's the point of insurance, to protect against neglect. If people had perfect knowledge, nothing would ever be damaged, lost, or stolen. We're imperfect people and that's why we need insurance.
The OP's story undercuts Ambrose Bierce's 19th century definition of insurance: a curious game of chance wherein the house holds all the cards.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I followed your original thread (and feel for you). Maybe I missed it, but I was under the impression that you had the car on a dolly attached to the truck and they drove away with the truck and Bolt. If that is the case, the Bolt may not really have been the target originally, not that it matters except the discussion of other steps you could have taken to prevent the theft is a bit diminished - that is, in this specific case, some of the deterrents like not using key fob, etc.,. wouldn't have mattered - the Bolt was along for the theft. I am not dissing the suggestions, just that they wouldn't have helped in your case.
Could track the car with tags

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
89 Posts
It's maddening this happened to you, but my whole anger when stuff like this happens is that they were rewarded, so that will encourage them to continue to do the same thing to dozens of others. Your suffering is probably less than 1% of the total suffering they cause people (not to diminish the absolute nightmare you are forced to endure).

That's why it's not a petty crime. It's not just a broken window or a stolen bicycle; it's hundreds or thousands.
I wholeheartedly agree. In the US I'm very unhappy with the way the police completely do not care about "petty" crimes. Oh, your car was stolen? Well, that sucks, hope you have insurance! And, very often theft of less than $5000 is completely beneath anyone investigating at all. This just encourages people to commit supposedly small crimes. But, the thing about small crimes is that you can do them over and over. Eventually they add up. Then multiply that by every lowlife doing these things and the cost to society is enormous. Law enforcement should really be sending the message that crime does not pay. Instead they send the message that it pays very well, especially if you get elected to government or you're really rich.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.