Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,128 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree. In the US I'm very unhappy with the way the police completely do not care about "petty" crimes. Oh, your car was stolen? Well, that sucks, hope you have insurance! And, very often theft of less than $5000 is completely beneath anyone investigating at all. This just encourages people to commit supposedly small crimes. But, the thing about small crimes is that you can do them over and over. Eventually they add up. Then multiply that by every lowlife doing these things and the cost to society is enormous. Law enforcement should really be sending the message that crime does not pay. Instead they send the message that it pays very well, especially if you get elected to government or you're really rich.
In the security field, there is a concept of cost vs savings. If you want to have more police to investigate all crimes, then propose doubling/tripling taxes to adequately fund police. Most of the time, we hear people demand low/no taxes but insist on government services.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree. In the US I'm very unhappy with the way the police completely do not care about "petty" crimes. Oh, your car was stolen? Well, that sucks, hope you have insurance! And, very often theft of less than $5000 is completely beneath anyone investigating at all. This just encourages people to commit supposedly small crimes. But, the thing about small crimes is that you can do them over and over. Eventually they add up. Then multiply that by every lowlife doing these things and the cost to society is enormous. Law enforcement should really be sending the message that crime does not pay. Instead they send the message that it pays very well, especially if you get elected to government or you're really rich.
This has become the new norm. Police have become very unpopular in the past few years. Some places have reduced their funding and removed legal protections that there may even be a shortage of cops. With a shortage comes prioritization and petty crime and traffic violations don't seem to matter as much anymore

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
In the security field, there is a concept of cost vs savings. If you want to have more police to investigate all crimes, then propose doubling/tripling taxes to adequately fund police. Most of the time, we hear people demand low/no taxes but insist on government services.
Let's start by prosecuting and jailing those already caught. I arrested a guy a few months ago that shattered a window of a burger joint. Bet he was on the street the same day, if he even made a trip to jail at all.

I'll hand deliver the criminals, we just need a system that administers the punishment and confines people so they aren't killing themselves and others with their addictions.

As an aside, police are not first responders; we are. They are last responders.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
0.7% are incarcerated, and that has dropped a lot in recent years. My WAG is we need about 1% in some sort of confinement so they do not continue to do 95% of the harm to society and themselves.

My cousin was a menace to society and died at 44, but we kindly gave him complete freedom to destroy everything he encountered. We don't let 13 years olds make all their own decisions, and we shouldn't expect an adult with 13 year old maturity to function autonomously. I don't say this lightly, especially being an advocate of liberty and having served time in prison. Most people in prison you want to be there, and they live better without their drug addictions, 3 meals, structure, and meds.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,128 Posts
Let's start by prosecuting and jailing those already caught. I arrested a guy a few months ago that shattered a window of a burger joint. Bet he was on the street the same day, if he even made a trip to jail at all.

I'll hand deliver the criminals, we just need a system that administers the punishment and confines people so they aren't killing themselves and others with their addictions.

As an aside, police are not first responders; we are. They are last responders.
So we need to build more jails. That cost money too, actually a lot more money. We probably need more 're-education camps'. LOL

• Love
Reactions: Lite2

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
So we need to build more jails. That cost money too, actually a lot more money. We probably need more 're-education camps'. LOL
No, silly, you let companies build and run the jails. And then they lobby lawmakers to make it easier to imprison citizens. And then they swim in lots and lots of government monies!

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
No, silly, you let companies build and run the jails. And then they lobby lawmakers to make it easier to imprison citizens. And then they swim in lots and lots of government monies!
We need cultures and communities that promote pro-social values. A culture that rediscoveres the importance of honor.

Failing that, the rule of law and order must prevail.

If that requires more jails, that is a smaller burden on the community than drug-addicted lawlessness. I promise it’s cheaper to jail a guy for a day than allow him to cut 10 catalytic converters off cars.

·
Administrator
4,391 Posts
My brother has a good friend who recently retired from LAPD. He commented that cops don't get involved in small things because the risk of public backlash is so real. This coming from a black, 6'7" guy who led security for many high profile Hollywood celebrity events.

Taken a step further, he commented that CHP rarely pulls anyone over anymore, and the result is people driving all kinds of crazy speeds without fear of repercussions. Again, cops don't want to mess with the public on small stuff.

Problem is, the broken window theory... folks see no repercussions for speeding, petty theft, and soon they are emboldened to do more serious things.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,128 Posts
My brother has a good friend who recently retired from LAPD. He commented that cops don't get involved in small things because the risk of public backlash is so real. This coming from a black, 6'7" guy who led security for many high profile Hollywood celebrity events.

Taken a step further, he commented that CHP rarely pulls anyone over anymore, and the result is people driving all kinds of crazy speeds without fear of repercussions. Again, cops don't want to mess with the public on small stuff.

Problem is, the broken window theory... folks see no repercussions for speeding, petty theft, and soon they are emboldened to do more serious things.
No such problem on I-15 in California and Vegas. I see people zip by me then I see them again further down getting a ticket. LOL

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,419 Posts
Let's start by prosecuting and jailing those already caught
Let's start by not jailing non-violent drug offenders. That would clear a lot of people out of jails. It would also free up police for investigating real crimes. Arresting and prosecuting for drug offenses is long hanging fruit that boosts arrest and conviction rates that then gives justification for their jobs. Prosecuting actual crime is much much more difficult.

As an aside, police are not first responders; we are. They are last responders
I absolutely hate the term First Responder. It was a term created around 2001 to pump up moral for Police and fire and to me has lost the entirety of the meaning. It obfuscates what is actually happening at a scene. The news says First Responders are on scene. Well, WTF does that mean? Is it police, is it fire, is it medic, or all three or what? It is the hears your trophy for showing up of news reporting.

As far as petty crime goes, I see a huge difference in people that are shoplifting items to just survive vs these gangs full of people rushing a store to steal all they can because in reality that is now their job. One needs assistance and can work their way back. The other wants everything but is willing to do not work to get it, other than steal.

I paid for a 2 liter of store brand soda for a guy at checkout because he was short on money. He was incredibly grateful and acted like it was the best thing anyone had ever done for him. He then rode away on his bike.

·
Administrator
4,391 Posts
No such problem on I-15 in California and Vegas. I see people zip by me then I see them again further down getting a ticket. LOL
Well, party weekends = big ticket items (DUI). That stretch is a mess on weekends, so maybe that is part of it?

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I might agree with so-called victimless crimes not populating our prisons. That said, practically nobody in prison is there only for drug crimes, but nearly every person there does drugs. Living a purposeless life and drugs go hand in hand.

Nobody starves in the US except for neglect of a caretaker or mental / drug problems. There’s no need to shoplift food except they sold their handouts in exchange for drugs.

Yesterday I overheard a guy on his phone saying something about running out of gas while I picked up pizza. Drove to his car and gave him my emergency gallon and he was super appreciative. Broke down old Ford Taurus. Guy doesn’t have much in his pockets which is what put him in that position in the first place. Said it was his birthday too.

Anecdotally, I have always offered to walk to the grocery store and purchase food for those that were asking for food money, and zero people to date have taken me up on it. 98% of people are blowing the cash on their addictions, so cash only aids their destruction.

Just because hypothetically someone might really be in a tight spot and are being honest about their need doesn’t mean we can delude ourselves into believing that represents most cases.

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,419 Posts
Anecdotally, I have always offered to walk to the grocery store and purchase food for those that were asking for food money, and zero people to date have taken me up on it. 98% of people are blowing the cash on their addictions, so cash only aids their destruction.
I will do the same. My mom when she was still driving would carry around booklets of coupons to Arby's for a free sandwich and would give those to people asking for food.

We also have a few small homeless camps hidden in the woods. They are only a couple hundred yards from a major highway and shopping. The main riding / running trail runs next to the highway and you can clearly see the entrances back to their camps with holes in the fences and small items of trash around them.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Nobody starves in the US except for neglect of a caretaker or mental / drug problems.
Not to nitpick, but I don't think that's completely true. There's all sorts of hunger drives for AMERICANS. There are families that apparently rely on, for example, public schools to help feed their kids (because they're poor). And when schools shut down for COVID, this caused chaos for those families. Maybe they don't "starve", but there is some sort of food problem in our country... which is very surprising given how wealthy our nation is.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
In the security field, there is a concept of cost vs savings. If you want to have more police to investigate all crimes, then propose doubling/tripling taxes to adequately fund police.
Not just funding police, but also funding (expensive) prisons to hold all of the additional people convicted of crimes.

Most of the time, we hear people demand low/no taxes but insist on government services.
So true... if only political proposals that require more money had to come with tax increases to fund them, or proposed tax cuts had to come with cuts in government services, people may have a more realistic view on government budgeting. Instead, proposals that affect spending or taxes tend to be viewed in isolation of the rest of the budget.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.