Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt 2LT ice blue metallic; 2011 Chevy Volt premier diamond white;
121 Posts
This was not a problem when Joe Arpaio ran the Maricopa county jails in Arizona, just put up another tent, He!! it cost him more to feed the police dogs than the inmates, No smoking, no TV except stuff like NatGeo and he ran chain gangs as a reward for good behavior.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
This was not a problem when Joe Arpaio ran the Maricopa county jails in Arizona, just put up another tent, He!! it cost him more to feed the police dogs than the inmates, No smoking, no TV except stuff like NatGeo and he ran chain gangs as a reward for good behavior.
Arpaio needed a pardon.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
That was before my time in Arizona. But I moved from a suburb of San Diego, CA, where homeless/drug users have taken over neighborhoods with no fear of penalties. I moved to Phoenix, AZ in a metro neighborhood with many homeless right down the street. I feel a whole lot safer here in Phoenix because the homeless here know that there will be penalties if they break the law. The downtown areas are night and day, mostly because of the difference in enforcement of laws.
Opinion: In Comparison to Phoenix, San Diego Looks Increasingly Squalid

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,128 Posts
That was before my time in Arizona. But I moved from a suburb of San Diego, CA, where homeless/drug users have taken over neighborhoods with no fear of penalties. I moved to Phoenix, AZ in a metro neighborhood with many homeless right down the street. I feel a whole lot safer here in Phoenix because the homeless here know that there will be penalties if they break the law. The downtown areas are night and day, mostly because of the difference in enforcement of laws.
Opinion: In Comparison to Phoenix, San Diego Looks Increasingly Squalid
What happened to the good old days when you just exile the criminals to Australia. ;)

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
Not to nitpick, but I don't think that's completely true. There's all sorts of hunger drives for AMERICANS. There are families that apparently rely on, for example, public schools to help feed their kids (because they're poor). And when schools shut down for COVID, this caused chaos for those families. Maybe they don't "starve", but there is some sort of food problem in our country... which is very surprising given how wealthy our nation is.
No there isn't. The poor (and wealthy alike) are fat here, which says we've done well to eliminate existential problems. There are so many food programs here that nobody starves unless they've abused those programs.

You know Papa Murphy's (takeout pizza) busiest day? First day of food stamp benefits payouts. Most of my working life I craved takeout pizza and restrained myself to put myself in good financial footing. While I worked 13 hr shifts and saved, those on food stamps blew their benefits on takeout pizza.

I'm not blaming the poor per se, as there's an explanation for absolutely everything. They make bad financial decisions for reasons, just as all my bad decisions are the result of reasons. A good system is robust against bad decisions though. We don't have good systems because we don't engineer them to be as immune to bad decisions as possible.

So true... if only political proposals that require more money had to come with tax increases to fund them, or proposed tax cuts had to come with cuts in government services, people may have a more realistic view on government budgeting. Instead, proposals that affect spending or taxes tend to be viewed in isolation of the rest of the budget.
I agree with all this, but as I stated, it's cheaper to society to pay to segregate those causing the most destruction than to let them victimize polite society. Look at what happened in the OP, something which those criminals probably do several times per week. Lock 'em up and throw away the key. The time to properly socialize them is gone, and this is all we've got left as a remedy, as suboptimal as it may be.

You've got to make a place safe and orderly for wealthy people to pay taxes (and everyone else), otherwise they just leave SF.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
No there isn't. The poor (and wealthy alike) are fat here, which says we've done well to eliminate existential problems. There are so many food programs here that nobody starves unless they've abused those programs.
No, there really are hunger drives for needy Americans and there really are families that heavily depend on public schools to feed their kids... because we see hunger drives every year for needy Americans and we saw lots of news about the effects of public school closures (from COVID) on poor families struggling to feed their kids.

EIDT: And yes, let's bold and underline part of your response... these things exist because Americans do go hungry.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
93 Posts
And we are even better at having liberal judges give slaps on wrists, go figure
I think regardless of any political leaning, basically everyone in the US is of the opinion that some crimes are over criminalized and prisons are overly full of those people and other crimes are too lightly sentenced and prisons are devoid of those people. Personally I wish they'd let minor drug offenders free and lock up punks who steal other people's stuff. But, other people think people belong in prison for using drugs. Some people think that we're over jailing certain ethnic groups. The big problem in the US is that we cannot agree on basically anything. One person says one thing, another says something else, neither is willing to budge. So, we end up with the idiotic system we're in where crime pays but don't you dare do heroin or your life is over.

The whole discussion is, I suppose, rolling off topic. But, I really do believe we should do more in this country to punish people who steal cars. That's serious business and could very harshly impact the victim's life and livelihood. It seems to me that the police, systems like OnStar, and companies like GM could do a lot more to disincentivize car theft.

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,419 Posts
I generally agree with you, Collin80, but...

I think you'll find very few that think this way for USING drugs, and very few are in prison just for using. Then there's this:
Favorable Effects of Imprisoning Drug Offenders

Would be very interested to see how exactly that was funded. That whole thing screams of selective data and completely ignores demographics in their findings as well as sooo many other variables. Just the title sounds like it was written by the politician that said if you are being raped just relax and enjoy it until it is over. May as well make the best out of a bad situation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I thought you originally said GM wouldn't provide onstar. I assume that is what you mean on disabled? Suppose crooks could just pull the LTE sim out before you figured which way they are off to.

What kind of a sick twisted maniac would steal a Bolt?
The same kind of scum that would steal a uhual, loaded with our families belongings, towing the Bolt.

There is an organization of criminals in the Atlanta area that specializes in stealing Uhuals. The Bolt was collateral damage.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Did the U-Haul truck ever turn up? After they go through the contents, the bad guys normally dump the truck somewhere (after they cut the catalytic converter off of it).

So whose insurance pays for the loss of the truck? The U-Haul website isn't real clear on what happens if the truck is stolen.
So heres the crazy part- and why i firmly believe Uhual employees are involved.

It was returned to a uhual dealer- A BIG ONE in Atlanta. Detective said cameras unavailable- uhual undamaged, empty. Car abd trailer never found.

I had uhual insurance so Im off the hook for their ****.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I wholeheartedly agree. In the US I'm very unhappy with the way the police completely do not care about "petty" crimes. Oh, your car was stolen? Well, that sucks, hope you have insurance! And, very often theft of less than $5000 is completely beneath anyone investigating at all. This just encourages people to commit supposedly small crimes. But, the thing about small crimes is that you can do them over and over. Eventually they add up. Then multiply that by every lowlife doing these things and the cost to society is enormous. Law enforcement should really be sending the message that crime does not pay. Instead they send the message that it pays very well, especially if you get elected to government or you're really rich.
The thing is this was a HUGE hit. Our hual was full of our weapons and ammo.

They still basically dont care.

The thing that BURNS MY ASS is cops will spend thousands on hotels to bust guys for prostitution. They'll organize elaborate sting and intelligence ops for small quantities of weed. I personally offered to rent another uhual, rent a car and let them use it for 7 days ON MY DIME as a stake out to catch someone involved in this and they wont.

Now if I go do it,and murder these scumbags- my life gets ruined.
So they literally have free reign. Nobody is even going to try.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I thought you originally said GM wouldn't provide onstar. I assume that is what you mean on disabled? Suppose crooks could just pull the LTE sim out before you figured which way they are off to.

What kind of a sick twisted maniac would steal a Bolt?
To clarify- Disabled- this is IMPORTANT

We bought our Bolt used, 10k on the clock. We only had it 90s days and never pushed the On-Star button. The previous owner did- and requested that the car be taken out of On-Stars system completely- yes, you can do that! We had no idea. Once that's done- there is absolutely no way they can track your car unless you physically push the blue button. No app works- a Subpoena cant get it turned on- your F-d if its manually turned off. So make sure it's ON! im putting air tags in it too.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,168 Posts
The thing is this was a HUGE hit. Our hual was full of our weapons and ammo.
I was waiting for this to be brought up.
How did you originally describe this personal arsenal? "Assault rifles and high power shot guns" , no?
And now 'Ammo'. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you had a reason to have all of this fire power. Most likely some sort of Fear Response.
Could you even use all of this fire power when your home was burglarized by a group of thieves?

But now this arsenal has a new life. Do you feel responsible to victims of this arsenal?

Yep, this nation is tops of incarceration of citizens and probably tops on guns per citizen.
And yet, things are only getting worse.
Do we need more hammers to keep hitting the same nail?

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,168 Posts
Air tags only work if an apple product is close by and is set to accept the signal or if there is an open wifi in distance.
Air tags are very low power and 'piggyback' on nearby apple cell phones and networks.
They're great to keep an eye on your expensive bike box while air traveling through airports!

But, if your Air tag is out in the Georgia boonies and the babah's striping your car don't have apple phones or offer an open wifi, they don't do anything.
They don't talk directly to the cell network.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
^ how TF do I block this living piece of ****?

This guy has started 2 threads

Replied to 2100- every single reply i get from this douche "NortonCommando" is political in nature.

Please- dude- **** OFF. Im gonna buy more guns- BECAUSE I CAN AND ITS MY RIGHT. If you dont like it- TOO FUCKIN BAD *******. I dont ask you to justify your incredible narrow mindedness, please, stop asking why I use my God given rights! They are my rights!!!

**** one of the first things Im doing is getting my ATF stamp so I'll be able to buy some real toys- I mean **** you really wont like. First up is gonna be a belt fed .50 BMG for $29k

Well I guess the Berretta A400 Ext+, and the Fostech Origin 12 I picked up this week were first.....But Im really looking forward to owning my first actual FULL AUTO MACHINE GUN

God Bless America
And
God **** YOU!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Air tags only work if an apple product is close by and is set to accept the signal or if there is an open wifi in distance.
Air tags are very low power and 'piggyback' on nearby apple cell phones and networks.
They're great to keep an eye on your expensive bike box while air traveling through airports!

But, if your Air tag is out in the Georgia boonies and the babah's striping your car don't have apple phones or offer an open wifi, they don't do anything.
They don't talk directly to the cell network.
Yes- im aware. Atlanta area is not boonies, thats where this **** is happening. Its a 2nd layer of protection. Kinda like safety deposit boxes are locked, in a vault.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Honestly dont care.

I try to help the community- make people aware of the situation.

I carry a gun to help the community too.

Theres always a loud mouth DB online. Ban me, boot me, wtf ever. I don't care. Im about to the point where Im going to just stop making any effort to help anyone online because theres always a piece of **** with a mouth to run

Guarantee hes a ***** on the other sideof the keyboard. Overweight gamer, incel or otherwise, the kind of man that cant change a tire, take a punch, or open a door for a stranger. The world is full of them and they come out like thieves in the night online and recluse in their moms basements by day.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.