Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
he appeal of electric cars and clean energy would still remain, and a graduated tax on cars based on MSRP could still persuade middle-of-the-road buyers to consider potentially cleaner electric cars when they head to dealer lots. But needlessly subsidizing wealthier buyers purchasing environmentally neutral — or marginally helpful — electric cars doesn’t serve a larger goal of cleaner transportation. The United States wouldn’t be the first country to revisit its electric-car incentives.
Infrastructure does need a lot of help and in some ways I do think that EVs are luxury cars. I think that subsidies should be extended to people of certain income levels but not the high income earners. They don't need any more tax relief.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There is another option: remove the gas subsidies. the public doesn't see the true cost of gasoline because the production and distribution are getting government subsidies. If they were removed and gas prices were allow to rise, the gas stations can then compete as other businesses do inside a capitalistic economy. Then those subsidies should be given to low income EV buyers, not a tax rabate as it is now.

·
Registered
428 Posts
While I see your point, I just think that is politically infeasible. People would freak out if gas prices rose to the levels they should actually be at. Congress would never ever do such a thing.

·
Registered
639 Posts
While I see your point, I just think that is politically infeasible. People would freak out if gas prices rose to the levels they should actually be at. Congress would never ever do such a thing.
Add to that the motivations they might have from industries directly impacted by gas prices and any influence we may or may not be aware about.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Add to that the motivations they might have from industries directly impacted by gas prices and any influence we may or may not be aware about.
That's true as well, gas prices are baked into almost everything, so a rise in gas prices would cause a rise in all prices and that only doubles down on what I was saying before.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's true as well, gas prices are baked into almost everything, so a rise in gas prices would cause a rise in all prices and that only doubles down on what I was saying before.
Food is a big one that they try to go after, seen it before when gas prices shot up high.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Food is a big one that they try to go after, seen it before when gas prices shot up high.
And while transportation you can kind of make the argument that people should adjust to driving less, working and living in the same area, it's hard to argue that people should adjust to way more expensive food. Food seems like more of a necessity and right than cheap gas for cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts