Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Incoming Rant -

So.. I needed some stuff from my local Lowes Home Improvement store today and since it's right across the street from Marty Feldman Chevrolet in New Hudson, Michigan, I'd thought I'd swing in there to see if there was any new info on when the Bolt ordering codes would be available.

The salesman I'd dealt with last month was no longer employed there so I was referred to another member of the sales staff - 'Pat Williams' as being the one who 'would know about that'. Mr. Williams claimed that I would not be able to order a new Bolt until 'sometime next year' as they were 'a 2017 model'. When I mentioned, that GM still claimed an October start date for production of the 2017 Bolt, and that historically ordering codes for new models were made available to dealers a month or so before production starts, he claimed that was false and that production wouldn't start until next year. (I should point out that this is the same guy who, when I visited last month, claimed that the Bolts were already available in California and had been for months).

Perhaps, I speculated, Mr Williams just has a hearing problem, and can't differentiate the word 'Bolt' from 'Volt' and was telling me what he knew about the 2017 Volt. Or, maybe he was hoping I'd suddenly become disenchanted with the Bolt upon hearing this news and take one of the 2016 Volts they had on their lot, or maybe one of those nice loaded Silverados parked just outside the showroom doors. At any rate, I just shook my head and, without saying another word, calmly walked out the door.

I have always bought or leased NEW cars (and I'm 58 years old), so I've dealt with numerous car dealers over the years. Thankfully, the older I get, the more immune I seem to become to dealers trying to blow smoke up my a$$. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that dealer.

I gotta think that if GM really wants to sell these vehicles, they would issue timely and accurate reports about the Bolt production and ordering dates to their dealerships so dealers could pass this information along to their customers. Additionally, it is becoming painfully obvious to me that there may be some truth to the assertion that dealers really don't want to sell electric cars. As has been pointed out in other posts, car dealers make about 70% of their profits from the service department. Since electric vehicles require much less maintenance or service, I suppose it's only natural for them to want to protect their bottom line by doing whatever they can to steer customers to traditional ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yep, time to find a different dealer.

Make sure and stop by and visit Mr Williams in your new Bolt (when you get it) and let him know how happy you are in it (and the dealer that sold it to you).

When he starts seeing them driving around, he may change his tune. That being said, a good car salesperson does need to focus on what is available today. A great car salesperson will recognize when to shift to selling "futures" and avoid burning bridges.

GM seems to be treating the Bolt differently than most rollouts. It is a different technology, and they may be miking it for the publicity a bit. We'll see what else gets revealed tomorrow with the EPA range number.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That Mr.Williams sure does seem like a character. Definitely check out another dealership or hopefully the salesman won't be so... numb. But I agree with DucRider, get one and stop by to visit lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
I stopped by a Chevy dealer here in Florida to look at the Volt a few years ago as I was getting interested in an EV to replace my Civic Hybrid. There was only 1 on the lot, needed to be charged so couldn't test drive it, and the salesmen stood there and said nothing unless I asked him a question directly. He had no interest in selling me one and couldn't care less I was there. So I went down the road to the Nissan dealer and at least got to test drive a Leaf. I put my purchase on hold as I want to get my student loan paid off which will be in less than 2 years but I will be buying an EV. I guess we got the last laugh because my partner teaches business management courses at his company and Chevy is now a customer. He has used our experience at the dealer as an example of poor customer service when working with Chevy executives (the executives were hot happy to hear that story).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts