Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Bolt owner and it's a little bit late to ask this question, but here goes:

I plan to leave my Bolt in my uninsulated, unheated garage in upstate New York, this winter from mid-December to mid-May. The garage is attached to my house and the floor above is an insulated space that will be heated above freezing. The garage itself will likely go below freezing at times but not likely too far below freezing. The only guidance I've seen is in the manual which recommends leaving it unplugged with just a few bars (leaving the 12 v battery on trickle charge). The manual just doesn't say anything about the temperature of the storage. As I said, it's a little bit late to be thinking about this, but is anyone aware of anything to suggest that temps between 10 and 32 are harmful to the car if it is left unplugged? Any thoughts about what I should do if my storage arrangement is a problem (other than seeking out a heated storage space)? Thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
this has been discussed at length - recommend you leave it plugged in with the charger the car came with - 110 volt plug-in will allow the car to condition the battery should it become too cold - and if it doesn't need to condition the battery it will take zero/minimal power - think of it like a battery tender - you would do for any car if you planned to leave it un-attended for a long period of time.

it will probably be fine with no charger, but with the car plugged in I would have zero worries about anything - normal wall plug should be fine nothing elaborate - if you have an EV charger just leave it plugged in with that.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I did ask this question before but I wasn't sure where I asked it. At that time it was a theoretical question since I hadn't bought the Bolt yet. Now that I've actually bought it, I'm getting worried. I do remember someone saying it was good down to -40 (maybe it was you). Can you cite me any sources for this assertion? I believed it when I saw it the first time but it would help me to know where this number came from.

Regarding the idea of keeping it plugged in so it can condition as needed, that's an appealing idea, but that would leave the car charged pretty full (85%?) for an extended period and I thought that wasn't good for the battery. If I could find a way to leave it plugged in, but charged to 30 or 40 percent, that would be ideal but I don't think that's possible.

Thanks again for any advice about how to handle this situation.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I never read where it is preferable to keep it at a 40% SoC. Many people plug their Bolt in every night to their Level 2 AC EVSE. I have read where using Hilltop Reserve mode and only charging to 90% IS better for your battery. I agree with David's opinion and recommendation.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's what the manual says. It just doesn't comment on temperature issues:

Vehicle Storage

Up to Four Weeks

. Plug in the charge cord.

Four Weeks to 12 Months

. Discharge the high voltage
battery until two or three bars
remain on the battery range
indicator (Battery symbol) on the
instrument cluster.

. Do not plug in the charge cord.

. Remove the black negative (−)
cable from the 12-volt battery
and attach a trickle charger to
the battery terminals or keep the
12-volt battery cables connected
and trickle charge from the
underhood remote positive (+)
and negative (−) terminals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think it’s possible to keep the 240V EVSE plugged in, as Chevrolet recommends in the winter, and not have the Bolt charge, or at least not much. We are planning on being away for February and will set the charging for time of day, only lowest electricity rate, and change the lowest rate times to 7:00 pm to 7:01 pm. This way, the car will charge for only a minute a day but will have access to the battery conditioning. Does this seem possible?

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it’s possible to keep the 240V EVSE plugged in, as Chevrolet recommends in the winter, and not have the Bolt charge, or at least not much. We are planning on being away for February and will set the charging for time of day, only lowest electricity rate, and change the lowest rate times to 7:00 pm to 7:01 pm. This way, the car will charge for only a minute a day but will have access to the battery conditioning. Does this seem possible?
I am far from an expert on this topic but I'll put in my two cents. You say that you are planning to keep your 240v EVSE plugged in. Since you said 240v I'll assume you meant a Level 2 charger. I don't think that turning on the Level 2 EVSE for one minute will do much of anything. I don't think it will add any appreciable charge (whatever 0.4 miles is in kw (24 miles/60 minutes)) and I don't see how any conditioning would happen in only one minute. To me it seems like a complete waste of time.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts