Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,120 Posts
I had one last week. In an anti-EV argument, this guy segued to talking about solar panels and said this:
"it's impossible for solar panels to create more energy than it takes to make them, first law of thermodynamics,you can't get out more than you put in.... Same as windmills, same as batteries, same as everything.... You need to stop drinking the coolaid mate"

How can you have a discussion with someone who is that clueless?
Solar and wind energy are both the result of nuclear energy that is being produced 93 million miles away from us. And there are a couple billion years worth of it left.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The guy at my fave lunch truck (who's been serving me for 24 years) started complaining about $5 gas, and ended up telling me that my EV was worse for the environment bc it was powered by the local garbage incinerator. I explained I charged at night, out in the 'burbs, and most of my power then came from the local nuke plant.
"yeah but at least the oil companies aren't getting a huge chunk of my paycheck every week"

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yeah, but that energy is so diffuse and non-dispatchable (doesn't respond to demand).

I could make an equally pointless observation that fossil fuels are merely concentrated nuclear energy from 93 million miles away. That doesn't inform us on what is the best form of energy.

It's a very uninteresting observation.
Oh yeah, and how many billion years left do we have of fossil fuels?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts