Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,847 Posts
What concernes me is not the battery or the motor but rather the surrounding electronics in EV cars. I work as a tools repair guy and every day I look at failed bms inside tools battery packs. More often then not the lithium cells are fine but bms fails. Furthermore these battery packs are not serviceable. the bms inside these packs are suicidal bms wich mean when you disconnect cells, the bms shuts down and cannot be reactivated (and it is intentional from the manufacturers). You can't buy a new bms from the manufacturer. The 150$ pack is not usable anymore.

The reparability of todays car, EV's and ICE's, is getting harder to service yourself and many times the electronic modules will come in a big assembly and a big price. For example If I want to change only the on/off trigger inside a milwaukee brushless drill it comes as an assembly with the whole electronic module and the motor coil as well, these parts are not available separately. Of course the price is higher then buying a new drill.

For ICE cars it is going in that direction as electronics are more and more present. But you can still service the common and basic parts yourself like the alternator, gas pump etc etc. Independent repair shops can easily do the work for probably cheaper then the dealer. EV's on the other hand appart from the brake pads and rotors there is not much we as users can repair because of the complexity and those independent shops struggles when it comes to repair EV's. The dealer is almost the only place so imagine the price of parts and labor.

My point is, yes you save on gas and maintenance cost but in the long run will you save if for some reason the bms or other electronic module fails. I hope my bolt will last long and hope the parts are reliable and that GM didn't cheap on the bms because I would like to keep it for a long time. That is why I took an 7 years unlimited miles extended warranty to at least cover the duration the the car loan
Of course, cost for replacement could be low enough or worthwhile, like non-removable rechargeable batteries in phones and now flashlights. (I just bought a pair of 1000 lumen headlights vs buying battery operated lower intensity types then buying rechargeable batteries for it).

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,847 Posts
Let's get back on topic, the "straw" man would prefer anything than horses for transportation. ;)

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,847 Posts
Certainly. But more capacity = more cost. Who is going to be paying for that?
You really don't need 'new capacity', just mandate rooftop solar on new builds. The cost would be less than retrofitting afterwards and is rolled into your mortgage. Since power is produced in the city, there is no 'grid cost' or grid addition. As long as we have favorable terms for people to plug in during the day at work (or at home for WTF folks) and leave work with full tank. Then, with V2G, power their home for the night.

1 - 4 of 123 Posts