Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think this will change in the distant future. Just need the right political atmosphere. We can't keep throwing stuff out! It's a waste of resources and bad for the environment.
100% agree. I am against those against the right to repair. I am not liking what I see from the companies that do this.

·
Registered
2019 LT 66kWh, Slate Grey Metallic
301 Posts
They do this because it's cost effective better to replace than to repair.
Until consumers don't buy these products anymore and then they will be forced to fix this.
I know, unlikely that consumers will look farther than the initial purchase price.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm a little skeptical about not being able to save money. When I had a Scion FRS I paid 26k for it and in the first year spent 3,000 in gas to go about 33k miles. I loved the car. But eight more years like would have cost me 24k in gas, or 53k in total cost, not to mention maintenance. When I realized that I basically did an even trade for a Chevy Volt and never looked back. I guess if you don't drive a lot and buy a cheap used car you'll save money. But I don't even consider saving money to be the point. The point is to travel x number of miles and use (or not use) x barrels of oil to do so.

They money argument is kind of bogus. If you really want to save money due what those nut jobs due who want to retire by 40. I'm not boiling my dental floss to reuse it and saving money by living with a roommate in a van down by the river or sewing holes in my socks or buying all my clothes at a thrift store. Ha, ha.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
628 Posts
I complain about the tag fees for EV's in my state, Screws the low mile driver. I do appreciate the fact of having a at least near full "tank" every morning if you want to.
"filling" the tank is certainly cheaper than gas right now. and WAY more convenient .

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had one last week. In an anti-EV argument, this guy segued to talking about solar panels and said this:
"it's impossible for solar panels to create more energy than it takes to make them, first law of thermodynamics,you can't get out more than you put in.... Same as windmills, same as batteries, same as everything.... You need to stop drinking the coolaid mate"

How can you have a discussion with someone who is that clueless?
Dear Lord...lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
We just picked up our EV a couple of days ago. We wanted to try charging in the wild, so planned a trip the next day that would require us to get a little recharge at a Chevy dealer. It was Sunday, and they were closed, but the landscapers were there mowing and such. I guess it does look a little sketchy when you've pulled around to the back of a dealer using their charger, and so one of the landscapers stopped and asked us if it was free and for the public. We explained a little bit and he asked some questions. The best was when he asked about "all those chargers" at the local Hy-Vee grocery store and asked if they were also free. I told him I thought they were. He gets the goofiest look on his face and says, "well, that's not fair." I said, "Why, because they're not giving you free gas?" :D He told me that if Hy-Vee was giving away free electricity everyone must be paying for it in the grocery prices even though they aren't using it if they drive an ICE. I mean, I guess he has a point, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Hy-Vee gets enough extra business because of those chargers to not have to build it into their grocery prices...

·
Registered
13 Posts
He gets the goofiest look on his face and says, "well, that's not fair." I said, "Why, because they're not giving you free gas?" :D He told me that if Hy-Vee was giving away free electricity everyone must be paying for it in the grocery prices even though they aren't using it if they drive an ICE. I mean, I guess he has a point, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Hy-Vee gets enough extra business because of those chargers to not have to build it into their grocery prices...
Unfortunately, he's not the only one who thinks that way.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unfortunately, he's not the only one who thinks that way.
100% agree. Before I bought my EV, I had lots of ideas about why folks were against them. This wasn't one of them. He kept saying "nothing against you." LOL. Right back at ya, buddy. :D

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
We just picked up our EV a couple of days ago. We wanted to try charging in the wild, so planned a trip the next day that would require us to get a little recharge at a Chevy dealer. It was Sunday, and they were closed, but the landscapers were there mowing and such. I guess it does look a little sketchy when you've pulled around to the back of a dealer using their charger, and so one of the landscapers stopped and asked us if it was free and for the public. We explained a little bit and he asked some questions. The best was when he asked about "all those chargers" at the local Hy-Vee grocery store and asked if they were also free. I told him I thought they were. He gets the goofiest look on his face and says, "well, that's not fair." I said, "Why, because they're not giving you free gas?" :D He told me that if Hy-Vee was giving away free electricity everyone must be paying for it in the grocery prices even though they aren't using it if they drive an ICE. I mean, I guess he has a point, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Hy-Vee gets enough extra business because of those chargers to not have to build it into their grocery prices...
Spending an hour at a grocery store with free L2 charging is like getting a 50 cent coupon. That's probably how much it cost the grocery store. Should we get rid of all coupons from grocery stores?

·
Registered
384 Posts
This makes me think of one of our local grocery stores offering fuel discounts based on purchases. If you buy enough groceries, you get a discount on your next gasoline purchase at a participating fuel station chain. As an EV driver, I get no benefit from this program, and no, these grocery stores do not host any charging stations, free or otherwise. So, I guess I should complain to the state that they are treating me unfairly and demand they either stop or give me a discount on my next EV charge.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
My brother, a long-time gear-head and former owner of a repair shop, went through every single one of the standard arguments about battery life, time to charge, etc. I mostly responded with "No, that's not really true because..." or "Well, yes, but that's not really that much of an issue because..." in an effort to get him to question the legitimacy of what he's been told more than to prove him wrong. I find this a much more effective approach.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
This makes me think of one of our local grocery stores offering fuel discounts based on purchases. If you buy enough groceries, you get a discount on your next gasoline purchase at a participating fuel station chain. As an EV driver, I get no benefit from this program, and no, these grocery stores do not host any charging stations, free or otherwise. So, I guess I should complain to the state that they are treating me unfairly and demand they either stop or give me a discount on my next EV charge.
Yeah, we have a couple of grocery chains with the same type of program. Depending on how much one spends at the store, one typically gets $0.03 - $0.10 off per gallon. With current gas prices, it's usually not even worth driving a mile out of your way to save the money.

Contrast that with an EV. Give me ~$0.50 of free electricity, and I might drive ~20 miles. Of course, I have to spend an hour at your store to get it, so you'll probably get more in spending from me than the electricity cost you.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,098 Posts
Spending an hour at a grocery store with free L2 charging is like getting a 50 cent coupon. That's probably how much it cost the grocery store. Should we get rid of all coupons from grocery stores?
Where's my coupon for riding my bike to the store? I'm paying for all that "free parking" for cars in everything I buy. :unsure:

Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure why I didn't think of this....same grocery store that has the free chargers DOES have a "fuel saver" program. Problem is, their prices are so high it rarely works out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My brother, a long-time gear-head and former owner of a repair shop, went through every single one of the standard arguments about battery life, time to charge, etc. I mostly responded with "No, that's not really true because..." or "Well, yes, but that's not really that much of an issue because..." in an effort to get him to question the legitimacy of what he's been told more than to prove him wrong. I find this a much more effective approach.
I agree 100%. I mean, I believed some of this stuff before I started researching buying one. A lot of it really isn't necessarily wrong information. It's just old information. As much as I joke, I sort of enjoyed talking to the guy and hope maybe he'll look at EVs a little differently...

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
241 Posts
Solar and wind energy are both the result of nuclear energy that is being produced 93 million miles away from us. And there are a couple billion years worth of it left.
On a recent trip to Palm Springs with a group of friends, a few of us went on a hike above town. As we went up, we got views of wind turbines off to the north.

One of my female friends relayed a comment that a friend of hers had made about the turbines - she didn’t like them because they made it so windy when they turned them on.

As my friend said to us, “it’s a good thing she’s pretty.”

41 - 60 of 123 Posts