Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
But we're talking more like future load on the grid. If everyone has solar panels on their house, maybe that will reduce infrastructure expansion and keep utility rates low. And if everyone has solar panels on their house, that probably means solar panels are mass produced and cheaper.
Solar panels on houses would be great, but what would make a much bigger difference is making sure that commercial buildings include solar. Just like it would be better if all the vehicles that drive around for many hours of the day like taxi cabs and delivery vehicles were EVs… much more so than personal transportation vehicles.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Controlled, artificial, fusion technology could potentially destroy the concept of “free” since it could potentially produce any element. Gold, lithium, Plutonium, or any other rare Earth material.

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
280 Posts
Controlled, artificial, fusion technology could potentially destroy the concept of “free” since it could potentially produce any element. Gold, lithium, Plutonium, or any other rare Earth material.
That level of technology is so far in the future that we’re talking more like science fantasy rather than science fiction.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That level of technology is so far in the future that we’re talking more like science fantasy rather than science fiction.
Yeah. Cold fusion and controlled artificial fusion are currently science fiction. I’m just pointing out that futurists are way too focused on “free energy” to even pay lip service to how the same tech could affect the very idea of “free.”

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nothing is "too cheap to meter". If it can be metered, it won't be cheap.
You still need a medium of exchange. A currency based on something inherently scarce. With fusion tech, nothing physical would be scarce.

The crypto fans will probably have something to say about this but by the time we have science fantasy like artificial fusion we’ll have science fantasy like quantum computing which will totally break existing cryptocurrency.

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
280 Posts
Yeah. Cold fusion and controlled artificial fusion are currently science fiction. I’m just pointing out that futurists are way too focused on “free energy” to even pay lip service to how the same tech could affect the very idea of “free.”
Well, “controlled fusion” isn’t science fiction - we can do it, but it’s just not an economical energy source for us (yet?).

The “fantasy” part is the sort of fusion where we can economically create large enough quantities of heavy elements to the point where we can affect their value.

·
Registered
9,018 Posts
I had my start in the IT industry back in the punched card days. I still remember the IBM 7770 Audio Response Unit, which was basically a glorified computer-controlled tape recorder that could play back up to 127(!) pre-recorded words.

Now I drive my car and dictate navigation commands and the dạmned thing understands me. Well, most of the time. I know how complex it is to recognize human speech so I always try to Enunciate. Very. Clearly. Nontheless it seems to be better at deciphering my girlfriend's heavily accented speech. Go figure.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I watched a YouTube video the other day... this guy was spewing the craziest of nonsense I ever heard in regards to Driving an EV is not good for the environment or cheaper than an ICE. He compared charging an EV is fossil fuel heavy and not clean.... $60,000 dollar EV is not even close to costs of ICE.
I really am getting tired of the "igits" doing this crap. Compare Gasoline to Electricity if your going to compare that. Compare Bolt EV with ICE.... not Hi dollar EVS to Low dollar ICE. I have Solar on my house so that makes me a little bit more "Green" than most.
I have no used oil to dispose of, No used air filter to dispose of, no spark plugs to dispose of. I have no tailpipe emissions pumping into the air, No Gasoline spills or emissions spewing into the air.
I have not bought Gas for my commutes now for 18 months, at a savings of 250 dollars a month x 18 = 4,500 dollars. So there is my "data" for the igits.
paid 30,000 for my car new.... so how long will it take to pay for itself?? Oh and by the way in AZ I made the cutoff for Grandfathering in Registration for life... 12 dollars a year. put that in your "podcast" mate!!!
Brent

101 - 120 of 138 Posts