Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
If it makes you feel better, he's the same type of guy that will be defending EVs and attacking the thing that threatens to replace it, once EVs become mainstream.

There is tension in society between those bringing many bad ideas and a few good ones, and those resisting change. The resistance is to ensure only the very good ones displace previous accepted norms.

Of course, this is hardly a conscious effort on the part of the individuals, but nature seems to have selected this method for moving things along.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A Facebook friend of mine posted a pic showing the cost of gas in NZ is 3.18 per liter, or 12 NZ dollars per gallon ($7.46 US). Check out the thread that emerged when I posted that it was time to go electric. Whoever John Chadwick is, he is simply emotionally opposed to EVs and facts will not sway him. Anyway, I thought the exchange might be entertaining. If you have had similar online debates please share.

View attachment 43399
Oh yeah, NASCAR voters have a difficult time with EVs. I just hammer my MAGA friends with facts. EV OPERATING COST <$0.10/mile!
PG&E electricity at $0.42 /kWh
EV gets 4 miles / kWh
Fuel cost $0.10/ mile.
My F350 gets 8 miles/ gallon at $5.39/ gallon = 5.39÷8=0.67!
At USA average of 12k miles per year
EV = 0.10×12000=$1,200
F350 =. 0.67×12000=$8,040
Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oh yeah, NASCAR voters have a difficult time with EVs. I just hammer my MAGA friends with facts. EV OPERATING COST <$0.10/mile!
PG&E electricity at $0.42 /kWh
EV gets 4 miles / kWh
Fuel cost $0.10/ mile.
My F350 gets 8 miles/ gallon at $5.39/ gallon = 5.39÷8=0.67!
At USA average of 12k miles per year
EV = 0.10×12000=$1,200
F350 =. 0.67×12000=$8,040
Rinse and repeat.
Tell them and then tell them again.... all the "fake" news is crazy on EVS... Good Job Deant!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
We are deviating a little bit probably by my fault:sneaky:. I was not saying the bolts bms is like what I am seeing in my tools bms. It was an example I was shooting in the air for general reparability and my fear of more and more electronic parts making it more difficult repairs. But of course after saying all this the bolt's bms is still not serviceable by you or me not just because of the complexity of the battery pack but also because it will need reprograming with special computer and software that is probably dealer exclusive
Weber auto on you tube took the entire battery and drive system apart. Put it back together a day drove the car. I bring this up because he is a auto mechanic school teacher I believe. You can watch them and answer a couple questions. I can't remember about the software but if you watch I'm sure he explains it. Back when i did watch it it looked like he did everything at school. It may be that smaller repair shops could get into this if they really want to or the demand is high.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
I mean, I'm not going to click the link.

Environmental disaster is always applicable, the question is always the environment of what / who?

If solar was always a great idea, there'd be no need for coercion. We can identify a bad idea when we identify coercion. Pretty darned simple.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I’m sure there are solar panels removed and put into landfill, but this article is also making the wild assumption that solar panels are discarded when they reach 10-15 years in age. Much like with EV batteries, there is an engineer somewhere who had to come up with an “end of life” number. For instance, an EV battery is technically considered to be at the end of its life when it has lost 20% of its capacity. Of course, it can continue on in service for many more years. Even if it is pulled from the car, it is probably going to have one or two more life cycles in another vehicle or stationary use.

The same applies to solar panels. Even if a panel loses 40-50% of its capacity, it is still generating electricity. Even if the original user does not want it any more, there are people buying and installing used panels.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Here, you can go directly to the LA Times article. No "spin".
They tried to fix it...from the article.

"For the record:

10:30 p.m. July 14, 2022
An earlier version of this article misattributed a statement by Evelyn Butler, vice president of technical services at the Solar Energy Industries Assn., to Jen Bristol, the group’s senior director of communications. It also misidentified the group as the Solar Energy Industry Assn.
This article has also been updated to reflect the current professional affiliations of Sam Vanderhoof and Jigar Shah and to clarify that 25 years is the typical service life of photovoltaic panels but not a fixed limit. Additionally, in a discussion of transporting photovoltaic panels to recycling or hazardous waste disposal facilities, the word “cells” has been changed to “panels” for accuracy."

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m sure there are solar panels removed and put into landfill, but this article is also making the wild assumption that solar panels are discarded when they reach 10-15 years in age. Much like with EV batteries, there is an engineer somewhere who had to come up with an “end of life” number. For instance, an EV battery is technically considered to be at the end of its life when it has lost 20% of its capacity. Of course, it can continue on in service for many more years. Even if it is pulled from the car, it is probably going to have one or two more life cycles in another vehicle or stationary use.

The same applies to solar panels. Even if a panel loses 40-50% of its capacity, it is still generating electricity. Even if the original user does not want it any more, there are people buying and installing used panels.
Valid points. I'm not knocking solar. I'm in my second house with solar and preparing to buy my third EV.

·
Registered
186 Posts
No wonder most people are confused and mislead and seem unreasonable and all the above.
To find out anything you have to study a million articles and posts and blogs and then your still confused. Lol

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,126 Posts

We probably should not have grid battery projects, instead implement V2G and then create grid battery projects from end of life EV batteries.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,160 Posts
We probably should not have grid battery projects, instead implement V2G and then create grid battery projects from end of life EV batteries.
If it's all the same to you, I'd like to use my car's battery for only propelling my azz down the road.
Unless it's powering just my house when the grid goes down.:rolleyes:

I'm not sure the 'grid battery projects' want to mess around with a mix and match of old EV battery packs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
LOL! Have you seen this one?

She acts like owning an EV makes you vulnerable to “the state” grounding you at their whim when it’s EXACTLY the opposite. Plenty of preppers worried about that have off-grid solar for EV charging. Heck, their car can even be a battery for storing energy for use when the water slows, the wind doesn’t blow, and the sun doesn’t shine. If “the state” were to “turn off” anything to ground us in place they’d cut the fossil fuel supply. Good luck mining, transporting, and refining your own petroleum into gasoline.

She’s exactly 180° out of phase with reality while making some bizarre association with a kettle… something few of us in 100 or 120v land even care to own.

Her only other point is similarly ridiculous. Recycling the batteries “somehow” is likely easier than mining the lithium “somehow” in the first place, which… obviously wasn’t so much of a hurdle to stop China from mining it. At least it’s already concentrated in one place when it comes to recycling an EV. The cost of new lithium is so low at the moment that there isn’t much pressure to recycle every single one of them but supply and demand will change that eventually and all these EV batteries will be an even bigger goldmine than they already are.

Psst… my brother totaled his 2013 Volt a couple weeks ago. Anyone looking for a battery? ;)
You don't understand. She's speaking with a British accent so it must be true (lol). But seriously, she's a Putin apologist which tells you everything you need to know. Pooty Poot needs you to keep buying gas.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts