Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

How do I turn the above off? It happened to me while I was IN the car today -- noneo f our other EVs has ever done this. I've turned everything else I can find but can't seem to disable this one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hi there,

How do I turn the above off? It happened to me while I was IN the car today -- noneo f our other EVs has ever done this. I've turned everything else I can find but can't seem to disable this one.

Thanks!
You can't............ It's a safety warning and not configurable by the user.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Yes. This is my only irritation with our Bolt. The "fob left in car" horn goes off many times as we are climbing out of the car, with the fob in a pocket. :-(

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Yes. This is my only irritation with our Bolt. The "fob left in car" horn goes off many times as we are climbing out of the car, with the fob in a pocket. :-(
The only time it goes off for me is when I’m sitting in the car, have passive locking turned on, have turned off the car, and have opened and closed the door to test some new setting that requires a “restart”.

Or my wife and I both have our fobs with us, I’m the driver, I get out first and close my door while she still is in the car and hasn’t opened her door yet.

So, okay, only two ways it goes off for me...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The only time it goes off for me is when I’m sitting in the car, have passive locking turned on, have turned off the car, and have opened and closed the door to test some new setting that requires a “restart”.
+1. I've never had the three-beep warning when I was actually getting out of the car - only when I stayed in the car after turning it off and then opening and closing the driver's door.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can turn it off, but it still honks if you plug it in with the key fob in the car.

I wish I can turn off the chime when the door is open, when the car is plugged in, when the key is left in the car, and all the annoying sound that potential will wake up my kids!

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
You can turn it off, but it still honks if you plug it in with the key fob in the car.

I wish I can turn off the chime when the door is open, when the car is plugged in, when the key is left in the car, and all the annoying sound that potential will wake up my kids!
I just went out and turned off the "fob left in car" alert. What a relief. That was one of the few things I had left on.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I just went out and turned off the "fob left in car" alert. What a relief. That was one of the few things I had left on.
I had my fob fall out of my pocket and down into the slot between the driver's seat and the centre console. I got out of the car and got the triple-honk, and discovered that the key wasn't in my pocket. So I'm not going to disable that feature.

It took me 5 minutes to find the darn fob. I knew it was in there somewhere because I could start the car - but the fob was just barely visible way down there. Luckily it was easy enough to fish out once I found it.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
You can't lock the car with the fob inside. If the horn hadn't beeped, would you have walked away without locking your car? If it was not in a public place, but in your garage, who cares? I don't see a problem.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You can't lock the car with the fob inside. If the horn hadn't beeped, would you have walked away without locking your car?
No, I probably wouldn't have. But... belt and suspenders.

I'm not one of those people who configure the car so that I can walk away and let it lock itself - but if I were then the triple-beep would be even more important.

I'm not trying to argue that you're doing the wrong thing, just sharing my own personal paranoia... :eek:

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
"I'm not one of those people who configure the car so that I can walk away and let it lock itself - but if I were then the triple-beep would be even more important."

I don't have our car set to do anything automatically. If GM designed it so you can have it lock automatically, with the fob inside, I'd call that a horrible design failure.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
If GM designed it so you can have it lock automatically, with the fob inside, I'd call that a horrible design failure.
My point was that if you enable the auto-lock and disable triple-beep, then the only options left are bad ones: either the car auto-locks with the fob inside, or you walk away without realizing that the car has refused to lock itself (even worse, since anyone could get in and drive off).

Perhaps you can't disable the triple-beep if you enable auto-lock. Not something that I've tried.

·
Registered
70 Posts
After dropping a number of things in the open space between the seat and center section I inserted a section of gray insulating foam into the space. It came from the local hardware store insulation section and the ends are square about an inch on a side. It is barely noticeable.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
We wanted an EV without any of these so-called "features", but the i-Miev was never going to be available with 200 mile range. I figured the Bolt was as basic as a decent range EV was ever going to be. Looking at Elon's latest presentation, and the ICE OEM responses so far, I think I am probably right.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
We wanted an EV without any of these so-called "features", but the i-Miev was never going to be available with 200 mile range. I figured the Bolt was as basic as a decent range EV was ever going to be.
As battery prices come down more basic models will appear. Right now the manufacturers seem to feel that they need to add lots of features to justify the high cost.

I'm actually quite delighted with the features in the Bolt, most of which I've never had in any of my previous cars. The heated steering wheel and seats are one of my favourites, as is the birds-eye parking view. And I got used to the automatic headlights pretty quickly too.

But I think Android Auto may turn out to be the best feature of them all, because it opens up so many more possibilities which will expand and improve over the life of the car, which I intend to keep for as long as I can.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I am glad we have all these options available. I plan on driving this one for a long time.
Most cars get sold off every 2 years. Because it's my first EV, I'll need to change that idea.
Having all the available options helps keep me from wanting to get rid if it. It's a great car
and I enjoy driving it everyday. Can't say that about most ICE cars for some reason ????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that’s not entirely true. It can be turned off. See page 145 in the manual, “Remote Left in Vehicle Alert”.
I'm pretty sure I've turned that off, but will double check next tie I have the car (daughter is driving it).

While I'm complaining..:) ... what is up with those needless animations in the settings? The 2-3 second delay gets very irritating when you are navigating back and forth trying to find the right setting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts