Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the weekend at a hotel in Nashville. Nice place but it does not have L2 charging. We knew ahead of time that they didn't have L2 charging, so we hit up an EA station and bumped up the SOC to 50% so we could slow charge up to full. Being a nice place, they let me use a 120V socket in the parking garage. I woke up this morning expecting a full charge, and after a leasurly breakfast decided to check with the MyChevy app. I was surprised and puzzled to be at only 70% SOC...

I charge at home exclusively on L2, and forgot about the stupid "default to 8 amps" on the charger! I ran down to the car and swapped it over to 12 amp charging, and then the wife and I spent the morning swimming in the hotel pool and watching YouTube video's back in the hotel room until we were up to 80% so we could start our trip home.

There is plenty of DCFC in the area if we had been forced by time pressures to leave early in the morning, so it would not have been a disaster... but it would have been added expenses and inconvenience all due to forgetting about the default charging rate being 8 amps.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I charge at home exclusively on L2, and forgot about the stupid "default to 8 amps" on the charger!
To me, this is really the only reason to put my Bolt's provided EVSE on 240V. So I didn't have to remember to set it to 12 amps. You can program 12 amps with the location charging, but it expires after a few months and has to be reprogrammed again. Can the location charging be set to default to 12 amps when you're away from home? That could have prevented you from forgetting.

·
Registered
496 Posts
To me, this is really the only reason to put my Bolt's provided EVSE on 240V. So I didn't have to remember to set it to 12 amps.
I'm guessing that 8A / 12A options persist even if you use 240V? Korean version of Bolt has the 6A / 10A options (Korea uses 220V) and it would be nice to have them as 8A / 12A instead.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I'm guessing that 8A / 12A options persist even if you use 240V? Korean version of Bolt has the 6A / 10A options (Korea uses 220V) and it would be nice to have them as 8A / 12A instead.
The 8A/12A option goes away on 240V. It sees everything as an L2 at that voltage. The 8A/12A choice is only when using 120V. Interesting that there's a choice on the Korean version at 220V.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The 8A/12A option goes away on 240V. It sees everything as an L2 at that voltage. The 8A/12A choice is only when using 120V. Interesting that there's a choice on the Korean version at 220V.
I assume that's because the 220V is the household standard in Korea, so that's what everyone would plug into. Just like in North America, the designers wouldn't want the car to assume that ordinary household wiring was adequate for higher currents without the explicit say-so of the owner.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting observation about the Korean Bolt on 220V. I wonder if the Ampera E had two amperage settings for 240 V in Europe?

Keith

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Minor mistake with no serious consequences. In this month's Road & Track, a professional journalist building a kit Caterham confessed to cross-connected the battery terminals and fried the rare special alternator, battery and several other electrical gizzies. No financial consequences for him and good story material.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the Korean and European Bolt have high voltage 6A or 10A, does that mean they don't have high power L2 charging? Or do they have some other way to distinguish between "home" charging that maxes out at 10A and "public" charging that maxes out at 32A?

Keith

·
Registered
496 Posts
Since the Korean and European Bolt have high voltage 6A or 10A, does that mean they don't have high power L2 charging? Or do they have some other way to distinguish between "home" charging that maxes out at 10A and "public" charging that maxes out at 32A?

Keith
Stationary chargers with 32A output are highly common in Korea. They simply ignore Bolt's current selection setting and pump electrons straight at 32A. Lots of folks also use portable chargers that can do 12A to 16A and they too also ignore Bolt's wishes and charge at the ampere setting you choose on the charger.

Frankly, it's rather hard to find a charger that does respect the 6A/10A setting.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stationary chargers with 32A output are highly common in Korea. They simply ignore Bolt's current selection setting and pump electrons straight at 32A. Lots of folks also use portable chargers that can do 12A to 16A and they too also ignore Bolt's wishes and charge at the ampere setting you choose on the charger.

Frankly, it's rather hard to find a charger that does respect the 6A/10A setting.
So, a stock US spec EVSE using an adapter for 240V operation would probably show up as aftermarket and be allowed to charge at a full 12 amps bypassing the 10 amp cap?

Just curious, not even sure why I am asking :D

Keith

·
Registered
496 Posts
So, a stock US spec EVSE using an adapter for 240V operation would probably show up as aftermarket and be allowed to charge at a full 12 amps bypassing the 10 amp cap?

Just curious, not even sure why I am asking :D

Keith
That's likely, but I suppose it ultimately depends on how "polite" the charger is in terms of respecting Bolt's requests. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Spent the weekend at a hotel in Nashville. Nice place but it does not have L2 charging. We knew ahead of time that they didn't have L2 charging, so we hit up an EA station and bumped up the SOC to 50% so we could slow charge up to full. Being a nice place, they let me use a 120V socket in the parking garage. I woke up this morning expecting a full charge, and after a leasurly breakfast decided to check with the MyChevy app. I was surprised and puzzled to be at only 70% SOC...

I charge at home exclusively on L2, and forgot about the stupid "default to 8 amps" on the charger! I ran down to the car and swapped it over to 12 amp charging, and then the wife and I spent the morning swimming in the hotel pool and watching YouTube video's back in the hotel room until we were up to 80% so we could start our trip home.

There is plenty of DCFC in the area if we had been forced by time pressures to leave early in the morning, so it would not have been a disaster... but it would have been added expenses and inconvenience all due to forgetting about the default charging rate being 8 amps.

Later,

Keith
You do know that the MyChevrolet app let you change the 8A charge rate without the need to run to the car, right ?

·
Registered
440 Posts
You do know that the MyChevrolet app let you change the 8A charge rate without the need to run to the car, right ?
Not always. I have tried both on DCFC and L2 and sometimes it will.....sometimes it won't.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not always. I have tried both on DCFC and L2 and sometimes it will.....sometimes it won't.
I'm curious if I'm missing something here. Isn't the 8/12 amp setting only for when connected to 120c L1? Where does L2 and DCFC come in to it?

·
Registered
876 Posts

Actually they don't "ignore the Bolt" they advertise higher current and the Bolt uses what is advertised by the EVSE up to the on board charger full capacity.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As far as I know, the 8A and 12A are the settings for L1 charging. And although I have a L2 at home, the change made in the app shows up in the screen of my Bolt EV pretty consistent. It is true though, I do have an OnStar subscription.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts