Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unfortunately have a LT. The stock sound system sucks a little. Can't have the Bose upgrade and I do not have a subwoofer. Stock speaker on LT are very cheap.
Can anyone post a picture of the Premier stock sub, I'm curious to see what it looks, because I can buy at dealer the OEM sub. If it's too expensive I'll check for one aftermarket. But, I want to know if we can put a sub which wire should I use??

For others speakers, give your opinion on which one should be installed instead of the stuck one. I know there's another post here about someone who replace with Hertz speaker, but I'm curious to compare. Btw, what are the size for all of them??

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've read that the Bose upgrade isn't totally worth it. But I'm an audio nut, so I got the base audio system and added a JL 12" sub with 300W amp. Then replaced all the stock speakers with Hertz - no additional amp. Sounds amazing now!

Edit: But it's pricy - all the speakers, the amp, and I dynamatted the doors - was just over $2K.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Dewg had his installed by a car audio shop. Maybe there's one near you that can help you with the audio installation?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That would be my best suggestion as well. I wouldn't go about pulling and tapping wires on one of these just because it's a very unfamiliar vehicle for many people. Get a professional opinion on it

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't go about pulling and tapping wires on one of these just because it's a very unfamiliar vehicle for many people.
I'm used to install all audio in all my cars. I already worked for audio shop. And you're right it's a unfamiliar vehicle, but for everyone. This is why I'm curious to see what others did as an inspiration for me! :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
My head shop built a custom ported box for the JL 12" sub, put it in the cargo space on the bottom (took out the foam insert). The box was ported into the back seat. The built a custom wood/carpeted lid to go over the box, and mounted the Alpine 300W amp to it. The false hollow Chevy lid goes over that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The box was ported into the back seat. The built a custom wood/carpeted lid to go over the box, and mounted the Alpine 300W amp to it. The false hollow Chevy lid goes over that.
Can you post pics please???

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers in my LT with base audio as well. Do you know size the Bolt speakers are?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Dewg, what kind of drivers are in the dash? How difficult were they to access?

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised by the audio system in my LT. It can be a touch chesty sounding on certain tracks and the very top end and bottom end are lacking, but for the most part what frequencies it does cover there don't seem to be any nasty peaks and the bass rolls off pretty nicely.

If there's one thing I would improve for relatively little cost and effort would be to replace the small drivers in the dash that cover the upper frequencies, I'm guessing that they're a small driver (like 2"ish) that covers upper mid-range and highs, with no seperate tweeter. If I could stuff something in there that would cover the top end better I'd consider doing that.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I definitely agree ! I've always done my own installs and done em' for other people. With this one just because of the power wires and being unsure of what the heck those hyper flux capacitors can do if I touch the wrong one, it kinda makes me feel uneasy lol. Send me into warp drive or something haha!

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Dewg, did you guys address the speakers in the dash? (at the base of the A-pillars) Where did you stuff those tweets?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the pic. So judging from the model no. on the box the door takes 6.5" speakers and the front tweeters are 2" units.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dewg's installers got 6.5s in the front, mine felt that 5s fit better (ie., no modifications), and weren't able to fit a new tweeter (again said it wouldn't work without modifications, maybe Dewg's shop found a different way). All sounds pretty good with tuning, not probably as good as it should sound for the co$$$$t, but several therapy sessions later, I'm over it (j/k).

For the DIYer, there is no stock amp without the audio upgrade, but the stereo controller was in the front passenger R foot/kick plate area.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes - the Hertz components they put in were 6.5" fronts and 2" tweeters. The tweeters went in just fine and REALLY enhanced the top end. I even mentioned to them Boltar's experience with his head shop that they wanted to take off the windshield. They laughed. Said they really didn't have a problem.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts