Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi would a Bolt owner who is driving or has driven in subzero Fahrenheit weather please post some pics of their dashboard showing projected range. Please tell how cold it is and all you can about how far the car can go, how much climate control you are using. Anything to help others understand what to expect from a Bolt in subzero weather would be helpful. Please.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Here at 9700 ft in Colo it is often cold in early morning when I head out to ski. I am dressed for skiing (going uphill before ski area opens) so I have long underwear and jacket on. I never need to turn the heat on. I should say that the coldest I have seen is about 5 or 8 degs. In those conditions I do need some window defrost. And I occasionally need the heated steering wheel. I do not need any cabin heat. When I return to the car at around 9 to drive home it is always a little warmer. I still need a little window defrost. My %age for climate is never over 5%, and of course that decreases with more mid-day driving. Now, if it was 0 all day long that would be different. Or if I was dressed more normally.

But it seems to me that occasional window defrost together with the seat warmer and the steering wheel warmer are adequate -- but my drives are almost always short (under 40 miles). We did buy a 12-volt blanket that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Again, that is because direct warming like this is more efficient than cabin warming.

And a small trick: When the heater is on you can put it in N for a few seconds and see what the power draw is. Could be as much as 7000 W I think. So if that were on for an hour (I think my 7000 reading was from a defrost session) that is 7 kWh used, or about 28 miles of range. An hour of that seems excessive though. I can also say that changing the fan setting did not affect the watt reading. Changing the temperature setting does. So when defrosting, may as well have that fan on full.

EDIT: And I am pretty excited about today's drive. Temps 33-50. Down to Denver and back. No climate control use. 14000 feet of climb total. Mostly freeway. Some at 75 mph, briefly. Lots of slow in-town driving in traffic. Overall rate was 4.46 mi/kWh for the 168 miles, meaning that there was almost 100 mi left in the tank after the trip. In short, much better than expected given my usual 3.9 - 4.1 rating for drives up here.

·
Registered
49 Posts
With temps that have hovered in the low teens or single digits for several days, mi/kwh with full climate control is just over 2. GOM estimates about 40 miles per “1/4 tank” so far for me, which rounds to about 2.5 mi/kwh assuming 15 kwh for each 1/4 tank. I’m sure that using heated seats and steering wheel heater instead of climate control would help to get a number that’s closer to 2.5 mi/ kwh, but I’ve got to see how well climate works when it’s this cold out. :) Bolt Premier - 10 days old - to me - in freezing Michigan. Climate works great except for melting snow at base of windshield.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm near Toronto ON. We have been hitting approximately 0F or -15C here for several days. I have been seeing approximately 200 km range on the meter with a full charge. Premier, full cabin heat-no compromising including some preconditioning even when not plugged in. Mostly highway driving, so I'm driving 110-120km/h or 70ish mph.

Take that for what it is worth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We've had an extended spell of subzero weather in Vermont the past two weeks, including several days when it was below 0 F during my morning and evening commute. During the worst of it, I've gotten a little under 2 mi/kWh. for a highway trip at 65 mph (80 mile round trip between Montpelier and Burlington). The dash shows 119 miles range now, in the garage (7 deg. F outside at the moment). Yesterday morning it was -15 F when I left home, and I had the heat on (temp 72, fan speed 5), seat heater on and also used the heated steering wheel part of the way (I don't have sufficient body fat to forgo the heat, even when wearing long johns, winter coat, hat and gloves!). There was bright sunshine in the morning, so I actually did better (about 2.1) than on the return trip (1.9) when it was about 7 F and dark (though there's also a slight elevation drop on the morning commute and gain on the return trip, and I preheated while plugged in before leaving in the morning).

There is most definitely a full 50% loss of range under these types of extreme temperature conditions. Once every two weeks I have a 130 mile round trip, and thus far, I haven't needed to swap cars with my wife, as much of the drive is on secondary roads at 50-55 mph (I haven't had to make the trip there during the recent deep freeze, so I've still managed 2.5 - 3 mi/kWh at 20 - 30 F).

I did anticipate this kind of range loss, but I'm still really glad I got the Bolt, as it has been great for my needs (almost 14,000 miles in 7+ months).

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm near Toronto ON. We have been hitting approximately 0F or -15C here for several days. I have been seeing approximately 200 km range on the meter with a full charge. Premier, full cabin heat-no compromising including some preconditioning even when not plugged in. Mostly highway driving, so I'm driving 110-120km/h or 70ish mph.

I’m in Ajax, yes it’s been very cold.
Don’t have my Bolt yet but thanks for the heads up on what to expect in terms of range with the heat on for comfort.
I don’t plan to hypermile either, just want to drive normally (and spiritedly at times) with the HVAC on.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I see midrange on the range guesser at around 140 miles, with a predicted max of 160 and min of 120. Driving "normal" with cabin temp at 68F.
Where I live such cold temperatures require an arctic high pressure system so the Bolt is cutting through very dense air. Maintaining cabin temp uses a constant 4-5 kw.
TBH, a gasser is better suited for long, cold winters. With 4 wheel drive and an elevated driving position (over rather than in the salty spray) an SUV/Truck is hard to beat when conditions get bad.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fwiw

Made a short trip to the market after a 20 minute warmup two days ago with the outside temperature at 5 degrees F. Used heated seat and wheel only. Most of the time the Bolt was parked at the market. Total time outside was 90 minutes. Total travel 12 miles. No energy used for battery warmup. Miles per KwH = 3.3

·
Registered
168 Posts
A bit more fun information to share from a trip yesterday and this morning. Bolts do not like charging in the cold. Plugged in at a 50kW DCFC in Guelph and only received 9.3kW in 35 minutes! basically i was limited to around 50-60 amps the entire time. I cut my loses - drove to another station, which wasn't working, there was an internal error. Continued driving to a third DCFC also rated at 50kW. This time the car started charging again at 50A, but 40 minutes later it was charging at 90A. Still not the full rate. I cut it off and went home. Parked it outside in the cold -17C or 0F overnight - not plugged in since I can charge up at work nearby. About 10 minutes into my drive and with about a 25% charge remaining, I got a propulsion power reduced message. No noticed affect (even at 120km/h), but the message came up mid drive. I did notice the message come up when the temp gauge hit -18C which is -2F or so. I wonder if that had anything to do with that message. I was also seeing that white limited regen white line on the dash early in my trip, but it didn't really affect my driving.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I'm in Toronto too. Pretty much exact same experience.

I'll add that I don't find heating the cabin makes that much of a difference -- speed and ambient temperature are the main factors. Also on the cabin heating, it's not so much a matter of comfort as it is keeping the windows clear of condensation. I've tried cycling the defroster but, 1) when it's this cold and dry, I find I have to defrost less than every 5 min (with one person in the car), and 2) this adds pretty minimal range, so I don't find it's worth it.

I'd budget 200km max for highway range, and with contingency factored in, I'd probably be expecting to L3 charge every 175km on a longer trip at highway speeds.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey Joe,

I live just west of Chicago and we've been seeing temps average Subzero to just above over the last few weeks. As of lately I've been seeing 2-2.6mi/kwh. Average range about 150 -max about 180 miles.
I keep the cabin heat set at 71 and fan on 1 using both the heated seats and steering wheel. The garage is down to 20F so I've been keeping the car plugged in with hill top reserve off. Earlier this week was the first time I saw the Battery Conditioning kick in for short while until the battery warmed up.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Good luck finding an L3 charger every 175 km anywhere outside a major metro area.
I'm hopelessly praying the VW settlement will result in more L3 chargers along interstates. Also hoping Tesla bends over backwards to further the EV cause and opens up it's chargers by offering to sell a Tesla->CCS adapter.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
with recently provided map (Jan 2 2018)
https://goo.gl/CSEFPX
Yeah. So still a pretty worthless system, unless you live in a huge metro area, and only intend to travel to other huge metro areas, which pretty much corresponds to my idea of Hades (pretty funny that Hades is OK).

Actually, Hades is equivalent to the devil, not ****, which is the underworld. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hardly worthless. There are PLENTY of buyers (if not you) who will not currently get an EV b/c teslas are too expensive, and other makes don't have a good roadtrip solution.

To maintain the rate of growth of EVs, we will need to get those would-be buyers on board, and this network will be part of that. Imagine that by the end of 2019 this network is place, and the 2019 MY Bolt is available with an 80 kW battery, 320 mile EPA range and can handle 250A charging from these stations....100 miles in 20 minutes, 200 miles in an hour. And the MSRP is lower than the 2017.

What is the worth? The EV revolution will occur when they are better and cheaper than ICE. And they will not get cheaper until they are sold in bigger volume. This network is a significant stepping stone to that future.

This network will make your **next** EV better and cheaper, even if you never use it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have similar results in St. Louis where we have had about 20 days in a row of below freezing temps with a low of -2 one night. My range is about half it was during the spring summer and fall. Still love my Bolt!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
...it's not so much a matter of comfort as it is keeping the windows clear of condensation. I've tried cycling the defroster but, 1) when it's this cold and dry, I find I have to defrost less than every 5 min (with one person in the car)...
When you've got the windshield cleared you might try setting the HVAC controls to "Heat & A/C" OFF, Recirc OFF, and air directed to the windshield vents. That should keep the moist air that you exhale away from the front windows and help to keep them from fogging up again without using any kWh for heat.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts