Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think there is any issue with putting a high-powered subwoofer at the very bottom of the cargo area, directly on top of the battery pack? I'm concerned about the fairly large magnetic field on a 12 or 15" subwoofer speaker, and how that will effect the lithium cells.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine's in the no-spare tire well. That said, my non-professional opinion ($.02 fwiw) is that it would be fine/negligible. If you're putting a big box there, I'd be more concerned about the effect of the added weight on the battery. It will be good acoustically though, firing toward the rear of the car.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't think where it fires is going to affect anything. But I don't really see an issue. Either way the battery has to be covered by some sort of case to prevent anything from damaging it so you should be fine.

But a 15".... really ?!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I would assume installing a subwoofer should be fine as people have done it in the volt too. Think I recall one guy building a fiberglass sub box for their trunk sub.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do you guys think there is any issue with putting a high-powered subwoofer at the very bottom of the cargo area, directly on top of the battery pack? I'm concerned about the fairly large magnetic field on a 12 or 15" subwoofer speaker, and how that will effect the lithium cells.
The cargo area is BEHIND the battery. The rear seat is on top of the battery.

·
Registered
734 Posts
One way to get around this which some people might not like to hear is to start with a smaller subwoofer. Basically a setup that comes close to what OEM's offer with their stock subwoofers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only reason my head shop is recommending a 12" is that they know I want deep, clean bass. Not powerful, shake the neighbor's windows bass - just clean, tight, deep bass. My last car had a 10", and they're saying a 12" might do me just fine. I used 15" as an example for a powerful magnet.

They're going to pair it with a 200W amp. Should be enough power to drive it nicely (again, not looking for massive volume), and still be as energy efficient as possible (least number of miles lost on range).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts