Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First long roadtrip in Bolt a successful, positive experience. Didn't go crazy planning trip, just wanted to head out and see for ourselves what it would be like. Prep was simple, spent about 1/2 hour on Plugshare seeing what was available along the i95 route and signed up for 2 additional charging networks, I already had Chargepoint but added EVGO and Greenlots, that's it. We headed out with a full charge, our trip down to Richmond consisted of 3 stops, once for breakfast at a Wyndham Hotel in southern NJ, we had breakfast and plugged in for 30 minutes, added about 90 miles of range. We then stopped for bathroom and snacks at a Royal Farms in Delaware I believe, plugged in for another 30 minutes. We stopped for a 3rd and last time for lunch in Northern Virginia near a Wegmans, another 30 minute charge. We drove quite a bit around Richmond and surrounding area once there for a few days and found one quickcharger in Ashland that was free, and another at a Hotel in Mechanicsville. Other than that kept it plugged in on a typical 120 volt outlet at my sisters' house overnight. The trip home was just as relaxing and uneventful, but we only stopped twice to charge, that Wegmans in Northern Virginia again and the Hotel in Southern NJ. All in all a great first long trip, looking forward to many, many more.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think the key to a successful road trip in a Bolt is just taking more food and bathroom breaks than you usually do to give the Bolt a top-up. I'm prone to road trips where breaks are very infrequent, but the long drives can be stressful after a few hours. A few extra breaks to section off the trip like you did would make it more relaxing.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It is the DCFC stations that take the worry out of East Coast corridor traveling. I have to drive 220 miles from my home to get to the first DCFC Station (can easily do with less than Interstate Hwy speeds) and plan to stay overnight. After Lexington, VA, I hope to travel just as you did. I plan to break up my 190 "post-Lexington" miles at least once. The problem is if you only drive 80-100 miles and pay by the 1/2 hour (EVgo) you may spend $9.95 for far less than 30 kW (not very cost-effective). Will post a report on the flip side.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you can get a full charge overnight, wouldn't the full battery be good enough for 190 non stop? Or at least without a need to charge so you can save that $9.95.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts