Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about the last week I've seen my projected range go from around 330kms based on a full charge with hilltop reserve activated, down do around 220kms. It is now October here in British Columbia and while it is sometimes cooler, still above zero and averaging 10 degrees Celsius, there is nothing dramatic versus September where I was seeing my full range projected. Plus the bolt is garage parked so it doesn't get that cold anyway. Has anyone else noticed an sudden drop in their estimated range?

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
782 Posts
Estimated range is based on past usage - as it gets colder the car uses more heat for you and itself to heat the battery - look at energy usage and see how much is being used for cabin heating and battery conditioning.

That will probably show higher percentages than in the past.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, those are valid points. These are my present energy stats. We maybe have temperate at 24 degrees Celsius with a fan of 2. I'm just quite surprised if this is the case that it is outside temperature and climate settings. It's only fall, it's not even below zero yet. I would have anticipated that a little heat would have a similar impact on the battery as all the AC we were using in summer. Perhaps not.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
On the Energy Usage page, I find it telling that the Climate Settings bar only goes to zero, i.e. any use of heat or AC counts against you, and I've noticed that any use of heat at all seems to immediately drop you to -5. The heater is a big mileage drain.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the heater draws up to 6kw. That's as much energy consumed as as driving 25 mph!
Most of the energy consumed above 50 is wind resistance, so consider that cold air is denser.
I was disappointed that the Bolt has resistive heating, unlike the Leaf's heat pump + resistive heating.
I have to admit that my Leaf's heater has failed once and still doesn't work well.

If range is a concern, use the seat + steering wheel heaters.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
As others have posted... AC uses 1-2kWh, heater uses up to almost 7kWh... huge difference between the two.

Now you see why quite a few interested parties were upset when they learned the Bolt had (inexpensive but inefficient) resistive heating vs. a more expensive heat pump which draws way less energy then the resistive heater does.

Also, check your tire pressure at freezing temps... much lower than it was during the summer.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts