Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this time of year my 2017 Bolt should and would fully charge to around 230 miles. I hadn't driven it in a week and noticed it said "Fully Charged" with a range of 190 miles (outdoor temp was in the mid 60's). Today (two days later) it was 194 miles with the same "Fully Charged" notice. I checked the flow screen and all cells show green. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

·
Registered
210 Posts
At this time of year my 2017 Bolt should and would fully charge to around 230 miles. I hadn't driven it in a week and noticed it said "Fully Charged" with a range of 190 miles (outdoor temp was in the mid 60's). Today (two days later) it was 194 miles with the same "Fully Charged" notice. I checked the flow screen and all cells show green. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Range is just an estimate and it is based on state of charge and recent driving history (okay, and heat and AC state). Temperature matters only inasmuch as it affects your recent driving. In particular if temperature changes, range won't adjust until you've driven for some distance. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

If the vehicle starts showing <100 miles fully charged, that's when it's time to start worrying.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Due to a personal circumstance I was spending a LOT of time idling in my car this weekend (I'm talking like 14 hours here - the most I've ever been in it in one single day) - What happened was due to the idling + using HVAC (was unseasonably cool for Texas a high of 43 degrees during day and around 35 at night) my mileage est was 60 miles and my miles per KWH was only 1.0 ! Most of this estimate has to due with the T's that the Chevy software mentions Temp, Terrain etc. I am not necessarily unhappy with the Bolt after this but I am that much more aware of it's weak points (inefficient heater). If they ever come out with a version that has heat pump+ bigger battery I would definitely be considering it just so I would Know I would have something that's more usable in more circumstances.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
In particular if temperature changes, range won't adjust until you've driven for some distance.
I've seen my range increase with the car just sitting in a parking lot. I know this from parking my car early in the morning and about four hours later (18 holes of golf), the car has increased its range. We have extreme temperature swings in our dry high altitude climate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 2019 has been charging to "190" pretty consistently. I'm sure it'll be back to 240 in the summer, at least if I quit the exuberant driving.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Don't know if this is relevant but my 2019 fluctuates wildly this time of year. What happens is that sometimes I need AC and sometimes I need heat. Even if I only use heat for one trip, the range is way down: close to your 190. Oddly, the range doesn't bounce back right away even if I turn HVAC completely off: it goes up a little but the estimate doesn't "recover" for a few more drives. It's just the GOM trying to anticipate my next move.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sometimes I need AC and sometimes I need heat. Even if I only use heat for one trip, the range is way down: close to your 190. Oddly, the range doesn't bounce back right away even if I turn HVAC completely off: it goes up a little but the estimate doesn't "recover" for a few more drives.
I think this is what happened to me. I almost never use the heater, but after my school closed I made one trip the following week to make lesson packets. It's basically the only time I drove the car in a ten day window. I knew I wasn't going to be driving back and forth every day like I ordinarily would so I used the heater both coming and going, 30 miles each way. Hopefully the mystery is solved. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts