Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today after running an errand, as I was driving home, the front right tire pressure monitor started giving a low pressure alert, showing 21 psi.
I hurried to a near by gas station to try to fill up (and hope that it will last me the trip home, knowing our Bolts have self-sealing tires).

Drove about 35 miles home, the pressure held! I jacked the car up, looked all around the tire .. nothing ..

now 3 hours later .. pressure seems to hold.

Anyone had this happen to you ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have not but thanks for posting. If that was a puncture and they worked that's nice to hear. Hope it wasn't anything else.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Today after running an errand, as I was driving home, the front right tire pressure monitor started giving a low pressure alert, showing 21 psi.
I hurried to a near by gas station to try to fill up (and hope that it will last me the trip home, knowing our Bolts have self-sealing tires).

Drove about 35 miles home, the pressure held! I jacked the car up, looked all around the tire .. nothing ..

now 3 hours later .. pressure seems to hold.

Anyone had this happen to you ?
Perhaps you are the first person to test out the self-sealing feature of the tires! :cool:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
But will that continue to hold up forever essentially? And I would presume whatever shrapnel made it lose pressure got taken out along the drive somewhere?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Or a much cheaper option elsewhere! Just picked one up this week, along with a TPMS safe can of fix-a-flat, in preparation for possibly reducing some unsprung weight. Still haven't decided on summer tire choices...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I picked up my bolt in London Ontario at the beginning of March. I was provided with a gm air compressor (no charge) which runs off lighter plug. It didn't come with the car however the dealership emailed me a few weeks later suggesting it was there and I need to pick it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Or a much cheaper option elsewhere! Just picked one up this week, along with a TPMS safe can of fix-a-flat, in preparation for possibly reducing some unsprung weight. Still haven't decided on summer tire choices...
I did the same. Got a "Slime" 70005 compressor and slime kit for just in case

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Bolt EV in Canada comes with an air conpressor, because Quebec requires winter tires by law and Chevrolet expects to sell most of the Canadian Bolts in Quebec.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perhaps you are the first person to test out the self-sealing feature of the tires! :cool:
hmm no nails that I can see, and after a weekly trip where the Bolt was just sitting in the garage, pressure held.
almost like a one-off leak .. badly seated valve stem ?

·
Registered
543 Posts
hmm no nails that I can see, and after a weekly trip where the Bolt was just sitting in the garage, pressure held.
almost like a one-off leak .. badly seated valve stem ?
You could have run over a nail that was in something else (like a board), so it wouldn't have seated itself in the tire, just left the hole behind. I don't know how fast these self sealing tires work, I assume it is dependent on hole size and location. However if it is anything like running tubeless tires on MTBs you can lose a decent bit of air before it seals and stays sealed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts