Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Premier Bose sound system doesn't seem to do Bass well.
Wonder if I would be better off attaching this to the car. LOL

·
Registered
137 Posts
You are first to say this I have come across. That sound bar is not for a car is it? It looks like something for a home unit. Bass is non directional and so many car makers put the subwoofer firing into the top of the car from the spare tire well. It's actually mounted over the back spare. Since the Bolt doesn't have a spare tire, I have no idea where they put it. Possibly the amp feeding the subwoofer or the wire have a problem. If you don't think it's working and it's under warranty I would take it to a chevy dealer to look at.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
524 Posts
You are first to say this I have come across. That sound bar is not for a car is it? It looks like something for a home unit. Bass is non directional and so many car makers put the subwoofer firing into the top of the car from the spare tire well. It's actually mounted over the back spare. Since the Bolt doesn't have a spare tire, I have no idea where they put it. Possibly the amp feeding the subwoofer or the wire have a problem. If you don't think it's working and it's under warranty I would take it to a chevy dealer to look at.
I imagine it's in the same place for everyone, but for me it's underneath the tool bin in the back.
Bumper Automotive exterior Hood Auto part Gas

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
From what source is your bass being generated? As you obvously know from your post, Sirius, MP3, et al, are sonic crappage and playing them louder just makes it more obvious. Playing them wirelessly, well that's a new low.

jack vines

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what source is your bass being generated? As you obvously know from your post, Sirius, MP3, et al, are sonic crappage and playing them louder just makes it more obvious. Playing them wirelessly, well that's a new low.

jack vines
Radio and SiriusXM

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV
138 Posts
if you’re judging the Bose system based on over the air SiriusXM, you will probably be disappointed. The signal is highly compressed and the audio quality is terrible. Streaming from a higher quality source makes a big difference. You can set the audio quality on the SiriusXM app on your phone to Maximum and you will notice a big difference. I find I also needed to lower the bass a few ticks below medium and set the treble a few ticks higher. Give it a try. I’ve heard Apple Music has the highest bit rate and audio quality but I haven’t tried it.

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV, 2021 Kona Electric
3,347 Posts
Can confirm that I am in the negatives on bass as well, something like -5, can't recall off the top of my head. I saw a review, wish I could remember where, I think they did a decent professional-level calibration on it and the reviewer said he likes a lot of bass and he keeps it at -1 but neutral is far lower. He also said that it was a great sound system for the price FWIW. Now I wish I could remember the source.. someone on here may remember from me mentioning it, I think it was like arstechnica or tomshardware something.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,314 Posts
I can't say the bass is lacking. Certainly not the highest quality, but the bass is there. Even though I mostly only listen to SXM, and yes I can hear the compression. But I don't consider my car as a critical listening location, so it's adequate for my use while driving.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone experienced both the regular and upgraded speakers? Is the upgraded speakers actually better?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I know it was one of the guys at ShortCircuit on YouTube who said the bass is way overemphasized.
This is what I would more expect, so they were covered for those who think a lot of bass is just right and those who don't like it can rurn it back. Sounds to me like he has an issue with that system. It probably isn't his ears, as we tend to loose high frequencies first.

If dental fillings are coming loose in your mouth, and fasteners on the car are falling out, or when you park on the beach the car is calling whales, setting off seismometers, that sort of thing...maybe you have too much bass. We used to have a trick for getting night crawlers to come out of the ground. We would hammer a wooden stake into the ground and rub it with another piece of wood on the other end. The nightcrawlers would all come up to get away from the vibration. With some of these cars, you could just park them over the night crawler territory and get all the hightcrawlers you could ever want, but I digress. Bass can do funny things to your body and can actually cause nausia if it's too much. Don't ask me now I know that, the post would get too long. Suffice it to say that if you build your own subwoofer that is like 18" round and put it in the seat directly behind you like I did it will resonate your butt cheeks.

I don't have a car yet. I ordered the basic audio system. It it decent? I mostly listen to talk radio and podcasts. There ain't no mo talent on the radio.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
As I find is normal for digital recordings and the average sound system available these days, there is a hollow area in the upper bass and low midrange. It’s above the sub-woofer frequency range, and most of the other speakers in the Bose system aren’t punching the frequencies just above the sub-woofer. I am saying 350-800 hertz. The sub peters around 300-350.

PA equipment will punch through in that range; most bass players are using combos of 2-15” and a quad 10” cabinet. That will get that frequency to get through the guitar and keyboard in the same range, which is their low end.

The Bose needs a more variable contour control with adjusting between bass and mid, and mid and treble.

I noticed that the bass is not adjustable to the degree and in combination with a weak showing by the Bose speakers for that very important range, so I will agree with @p7wang that there is something missing in the bass range. I think the oval speakers in the doors probably don’t have very big magnets.

I have mine set to +2 bass, flat mid, and + 6 treble for most songs. if I raise the bass, it gets too heavy in the low (100-200 hz) range. But I like seventies through nineties rock, and also like to occasionally revisit my younger years listening to 50’s and 60’s rock and pop music. I grew up on AM. So it’s not like the Bose system is making me jump for joy. Some songs it’s great, and others I am not hearing what my vinyl collection has.

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV Premier w/S&S, SC; Bright Blue Metallic
75 Posts
Can confirm that I am in the negatives on bass as well, something like -5, can't recall off the top of my head. I saw a review, wish I could remember where, I think they did a decent professional-level calibration on it and the reviewer said he likes a lot of bass and he keeps it at -1 but neutral is far lower. He also said that it was a great sound system for the price FWIW. Now I wish I could remember the source.. someone on here may remember from me mentioning it, I think it was like arstechnica or tomshardware something.
The bass was really "muddy" with the default settings. I turned it to -4 and I think it sounds great! From all music sources.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,314 Posts
In most applications, a subwoofer should have an upper limit of 80-100 Hz. In my home systems, I have fairly small mains, so the sub goes up to about 150. When I’m mixing sound for church, we have almost all channels with the high pass filter set to 80-100 Hz. Most instruments and all voices get lost below those freqs. With most Bose home systems, they have a weak spot from about 200-500 Hz. I’d say our car systems are about the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wonder how much “worse” the base sound package is versus the Bose upgraded system. I realize some people want the sunroof so get the Bose as well (and vice versa), however skipping the package altogether may be the move if you don’t care about a sunroof.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts