Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Oh NICE ! I was looking for something. Right now mine is hanging in the carport to keep it dry. Heavy duty extension cord underground to a hanging bag with EVSE inside. Just 110v outdoor plug :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would be careful with your set up. It does not appear to be water tight and with a heavy rain, water can enter and short out ( or worse) your EVSE, which is sitting on the floor of the storage container .
I believe they should be installed on a solid wall, at least 36” from the floor.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I would be careful with your set up. It does not appear to be water tight and with a heavy rain, water can enter and short out ( or worse) your EVSE, which is sitting on the floor of the storage container .
I believe they should be installed on a solid wall, at least 36” from the floor.
You can never be too careful. But it looks like the lid extends down below the top edge of the box. Even being held up slightly by the wires, it would take a heck of a rain to go around corners.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would be more concerned with the cable and/or EVSE warming up past the melting point of the plastic. One might assume that the plastics on the EVSE & Cable has the same melting thresheld, but plastic containers like the one pictured operate to a much lower standard.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've had this setup for 3 months now, no problems. I checked during the rain, bone dry inside. Will have to wait for another el nino here in cali to see if the box holds up. As for the wiring to the evse, I used a standard 120v heavy duty plug, 25 ft of romex 12/2 gauge wire, and hooked it up to 240v breaker(2 hot + ground). I make sure all my connections have good solid contacts. I'm no electrician but have some electrical common sense. I find it kinda funny that no where on the evse does it say it can handle 240V. Chevy really wants you to shell out $600+ for their level 2. But for me the stock evse on 240v is quite adequate, on 120v it was painfully slow. About 9-10 miles charged per hour verses 4-5

·
Registered
32 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm confused. I thought the EVSE was built to be totally weather and water proof.

I can't leave it in a snowbank or water puddle?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm confused. I thought the EVSE was built to be totally weather and water proof.

I can't leave it in a snowbank or water puddle?
It was partly aesthetic choice and ease of use for me. My landlord didn’t want a cable laying around when I wasn’t charging. I didn’t want to put it away in my apartment everyday. I thought about putting in a post, but this was an easier option to move.

And while that EVSE is rated for outdoor use, I wouldn’t suggest leaving it in a puddle. When traveling I try to hang it off of something.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I've had this setup for 3 months now, no problems. I checked during the rain, bone dry inside. Will have to wait for another el nino here in cali to see if the box holds up. As for the wiring to the evse, I used a standard 120v heavy duty plug, 25 ft of romex 12/2 gauge wire, and hooked it up to 240v breaker(2 hot + ground). I make sure all my connections have good solid contacts. I'm no electrician but have some electrical common sense. I find it kinda funny that no where on the evse does it say it can handle 240V.
I've got my EVSE sitting on a cardboard box in the garage. It doesn't get all that hot. I'd be a little concerned about 12 gauge wire hooked into a 50A circuit though. If something in the EVSE was to short, the 12 gauge wire would potentially get very hot before the 50A circuit would trip. Could cause a fire. Although it looks like everything is outdoors so maybe just some extra heat for the cats.

·
Registered
724 Posts
@LaBrother What is that last screen shot of your phone? Is that an app for the bolt from the charger?? Is it in Real time?
I want one but I bet it is an iphone thing..... :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
@LaBrother What is that last screen shot of your phone? Is that an app for the bolt from the charger?? Is it in Real time?
I want one but I bet it is an iphone thing..... :(
Its an andriod app called "MyGreenVolt". It's designed for volt, so most of the parameters dont work, the only thing that works in real time is battery voltage and charging info. You need an OBD2 adapter, i bought the cheapest bluetooth one i could find, and it works.
The app shows battery cell voltage Low/avg/Hi(you have to add the battery voltage display in the settings). After full charge i'm seeing 4.106/4.126/4.126. Which means at least one cell isn't charging to 100%? or holding its full voltage once charged?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hmm, I have this [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame] from when I had the 'i'. Wonder if it would work.

once it warms up outside a bit I may have to try it.
Thanks

Edit to add after reading other comments on amazon. Seems this has issues with Chevy. I had plugged it in last month and then the radio was being a jerk,( which I had before) reset radio after unplugging the OBD and all was normal again. I will have to get another OBD, just listed mine on CL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Nice kitties!

Did they come with the Bolt, with the EVSE or with the house?
I upgraded my dryer breaker from a 30 amp to 50 amp, so that way i could run the dryer and charge at same time. I bought the 12/2 25 ft romex wire online, and the plug i found in my garage.
As for the kitties, one just was trapped in my backyard(crazy neighbor had put some kind of noose around her, lots of crazies here in stockton) so i cut her loose, but she stuck around, had a litter, then I had to get them all fixed. Stuck with 4 cats now(they annoying so annoying), cause of act of kindness.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
The app shows battery cell voltage Low/avg/Hi. After full charge i'm seeing 4.106/4.126/4.126. Which means at least one cell isn't charging to 100 %
Are you charging to "hilltop?" The cells won't balance on "hilltop." At 100% they should be closer to 4.20 volts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
no hill top

Are you charging to "hilltop?" The cells won't balance on "hilltop." At 100% they should be closer to 4.20 volts.
No Hill top reserve, i do believe this is the ceiling that GM chose to use? Much better for battery life then charging to full 4.20? I could be wrong here. Or maybe the app(MyGreenVolt) or cheap obd2 adapter im using is mis-reading the voltage?

Did anyone see what their average cell voltage is at full charge?
All you need is a cheap bluetooth OBD2 adapter, i bought the one from Wallmart for 7.76$. And the "MyChevyVolt" app, free on android.
Go to settings / PID's to display and check the bottom box "BATERY_CELL_VOLTAGE (Min/Avg/Max)

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
No Hill top reserve, i do believe this is the ceiling that GM chose to use? Much better for battery life then charging to full 4.20? I could be wrong here. Or maybe the app(MyGreenVolt) im using is mis-reading the voltage?
I tried to find the post. Somebody on here is a Bolt tech, and showed specs for min/max voltage set by GM. I wish I had saved that. As I recall it worked out closer to the 4.20 per cell max. If the balanced spread is actually 4.106 to 4.126, that is not very close. The Leaf cells in my bicycle pack are much closer together than that. Of course, if you are using a cheap device all your numbers are probably off anyway. Ever try to get an accurate reading from a Harbor Freight VOM? :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I tried to find the post. Somebody on here is a Bolt tech, and showed specs for min/max voltage set by GM. I wish I had saved that. As I recall it worked out closer to the 4.20 per cell max. If the balanced spread is actually 4.106 to 4.126, that is not very close. The Leaf cells in my bicycle pack are much closer together than that. Of course, if you are using a cheap device all your numbers are probably off anyway. Ever try to get an accurate reading from a Harbor Freight VOM? :)
The voltage readings are PID values I believe, so they should be accurate?
Perhaps the PID's aren't configured correctly in the app? this app was designed for volt.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
The voltage readings are PID values I believe, so they should be accurate?
Perhaps the PID's aren't configured correctly in the app? this app was designed for volt.
Yes. They are just reading code, so it shouldn't be too hard get it right. But as you say, maybe configuration error. Or maybe 2.88 kW from the wall just takes a very long time to fully balance a 60 kWh pack.

This looks much more like what I'd expect.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/22225-bolt-ev-battery-test-results.html#post283801

1 - 20 of 24 Posts