Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2023 EUV Premier, Super Cruise, Sun & Sound
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Super Cruise on my car and am growing more confident in its ability. Its speed control is very smooth and the lane keeping is acceptable. It will occasionally drift a bit and then correct back in a less smooth way than a human driver, but it is well within the bounds of acceptability.

However one behavior concerns me a bit. If I am alongside a large truck (or a driver that is wandering over toward the edge of their lane) I become concerned that there is not a safe space between us. My natural reaction is to shade the car over towards the other side of my lane to maintain a spacing that I am comfortable with. I have not noticed Super Cruise do the same. It appears that it just tries to stay in the center of the lane which makes me nervous and I often just assume control. I don't know if I am just being too coutious or this is a design issue with Super Cruise. Has anyone else observed this?

· Registered
200 Posts
Super cruise is "designed" to stay in the center of the lane, I believe +/- 4 inches. It will NOT move over when a vehicle is beside you. As many on here mentioned, it does seem to favor the right side of the lane vs the true center, but you learn to live with it.

· Registered
100 Posts
You have to remember that Super Cruise is not in any way an accident avoidance system. If someone suddenly swerves into your lane it is up to you to take control. I find that I have to be even more alert in Super Cruise than when manually driving. I don't feel that confident using it at high speeds where there is a lot of traffic congestion. Super Cruise is great for stop and go traffic. And on Long Island that is every day.

· Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,707 Posts
Yep! Normal. The camera system can see 360° and that's why they call it a 360° camera.
Just curious,
Does the literature state that Super Cruise uses the two side and one rear camera from the Bird's Eye View system, or does it just use the forward looking camera in the upper windshield?
And does it have an actual Radar unit in the grill for accurate forward distance measurements, like the Volt had with ACC?

· Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
2,685 Posts
Just curious,
Does the literature state that Super Cruise uses the two side and one rear camera from the Bird's Eye View system, or does it just use the forward looking camera in the upper windshield?
And does it have an actual Radar unit in the grill for accurate forward distance measurements, like the Volt had with ACC?
In regards to your 2nd question, yes it has radar. The radar is probably also what allows the SC equipped Bolts to have Enhanced Automatic Emergency Braking, rather than just AEB. The difference being that EAEB also works at 50+ mph, while AEB only works below 50. Only radar equipped Volts have EAEB.

I see this says cameras, but don't know if that means it uses all the cameras you mentioned.

Font Circle Number Document Paper product

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier Launch Edition
1,120 Posts
I haven't had any issue with SC wandering to either side of the lane. But I understand your concern when driving close to a semi-truck. SC will stay perfectly in your lane. The fear is the truck wandering into your lane which they often do. You can gently steer away, the steering wheel indicator will turn blue. Once you put enough distance, you can steer right back until the indicator turns green again.

The only time it freaks out is when the lane widens up during an exit ramp. It's still trying to find center so it will dart left and right to figure out.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Super cruise is "designed" to stay in the center of the lane, I believe +/- 4 inches. It will NOT move over when a vehicle is beside you. As many on here mentioned, it does seem to favor the right side of the lane vs the true center, but you learn to live with it.
Mine seemed to favor the left side of the lane. Maybe it's where the camera aim is placed ???

· Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
2,685 Posts
Mine seemed to favor the left side of the lane. Maybe it's where the camera aim is placed ???
Mine seems to favor the left side too, but not by much. I sometimes take over briefly when a semi passes on the left.

We use SC only once in a blue moon anyway, and I don't know if we'll subscribe after the three years are up. Our driving habits just don't create many opportunities to use Super Cruise. It's nice to have this evaluation period.

Reactions: drdiesel1

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Mine seems to favor the left side too, but not by much. I sometimes take over briefly when a semi passes on the left.

We use SC only once in a blue moon anyway, and I don't know if we'll subscribe after the three years are up. Our driving habits just don't create many opportunities to use Super Cruise.
Yeah, same here. I have 1 road that it works on and it's not a road we travel on often. SC will be replaced soon anyway. I thought if the lane change version was released that it would need to use the 360° camera system.?

· Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,707 Posts
... But I understand your concern when driving close to a semi-truck. ....
Here's my recommendation when 'driving close to a semi-truck:
DON'T DO THAT.

Once I was on a crowded urban interstate and saw about 50 yards ahead an explosion of big black parts flipping around in the air and dust/smoke with cars swerving wildly.
Then I heard the loud BOOM about 2 seconds later.
Then I passed all the tire debris on the road where a semi-truck tire exploded. Road Gaters I think they're called. Cars were still swerving to avoid those.

Moral of this story:
Don't hang out in that Danger Zone with semi-truck tire a few feet from your head.
Accelerate ahead, or slow down and give the truck space to blow up one of its tires. (Ta'hayl about the cars behind you)
When you can, accelerate and zip past it, do it quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts