Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not in an area prone to lightning, but solar inverters recommend having additional surge protection. After much investigation I found this one to be the best

Eaton CHSPT2ULTRA Surge Protection 3rd Edition

I got a second one specifically to put on the EVSE sub panel too. It just installs into a panel knockout and has it's own 50A breaker. Unlike other whole house protectors, this one has multiple 240V protection, both legs to each other, to neutral and to ground. The Bolt has its own protections but I figure this is additional insurance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
WHole House Surge Protector

I'm not in an area prone to lightning, but solar inverters recommend having additional surge protection. After much investigation I found this one to be the best

Eaton CHSPT2ULTRA Surge Protection 3rd Edition

I got a second one specifically to put on the EVSE sub panel too. It just installs into a panel knockout and has it's own 50A breaker. Unlike other whole house protectors, this one has multiple 240V protection, both legs to each other, to neutral and to ground. The Bolt has its own protections but I figure this is additional insurance.
Glad this topic came up. Last year, when I had a generator and heat pump installed at our house, I also had them put in a whole house surge protector. Should I assume that this may not be adequate protection? Not sure I understand the possible limitations. Now that I have an EV, I want to make sure that I protect the investment!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad this topic came up. Last year, when I had a generator and heat pump installed at our house, I also had them put in a whole house surge protector. Should I assume that this may not be adequate protection? Not sure I understand the possible limitations. Now that I have an EV, I want to make sure that I protect the investment!
I don't know what they put in your house. I had an electrician put one in a while back for $150. Later when doing some other work they found that he didn't put in a dedicated breaker for the surge - code says you need to, so if it blows you can easily/safely replace it (these units aren't resettable, if they blow their dead and you need to replace). They also found that it had come loose and wasn't even connected, which can happen if you double like this. So I took the protector and found it was a fairly cheap unit and did some research.

I found this page which extensively goes into reviewing different ones, there are a lot of details there if you want, my previous electrician had installed the SyCOM, which I gave to my brother who is using it. The key for me is the levels of protection, the Eaton is "L-N / L-G / L-L / N-G" (Hot-Neutral/Hot-Ground/Hot-Hot/Neutral-Ground) and the Sycom is only "Hot-Hot/Hot-Ground" (single phase essentially). Not generally known is there is no such thing as ground, all the legs of a circuit are active, some more than other. Ground carries currents (usually), certainly Neutral carries the return currents until it terminates with Ground in your box. Anyhow, currents find the path of least resistance and nobody knows what that is for your box, so ideally you want this level of protection. This is why I'm have TWO put in, one at the Solar sub panel and one at the EVSE sub. Ideally I'd have one in the main box but I'm out of breaker spaces. Anyhow, a surge could come in from my panels sitting on the roof, or from the car, or to the car or to the panels, so these should cover it. For $80 it's a no brainer.

By looking at these numbers alone, it appears that the Eaton barely ekes out a win over the Square D unit. But what makes it an even more impressive victory is that fact that while the Eaton allows 100V less through in L-G mode and 200V less in N-G mode, the Eaton’s max surge current capacity (compared above in #3) was 35% higher than the Square D… meaning the Eaton is doing a massively better overall job at handling surges; it can take a bigger “hit,” but still allows less voltage through after the fact.
Overall Winner: Eaton CHSPT2ULTRA
The Eaton takes top honors in nearly every category

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Related topic is whether this is worth considering

Camco Power Defender

It has some nice protections for miswiring.

The reason is think about this is at my work, originally they had (for accounting reasons) put the EVSE's on the solar side of the transformers, not the grid side. What happened was a lot of EV's got upset because of the dirty power lines because of all the noise from the big industrial inverters.

Hooking up to unknown power supplies is like visiting unknown, er, 'ladies of the night', you don't know where they've been :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts