Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this look on-par with what others are seeing?
Having driven a 2015 Leaf SL, I really enjoyed that surround camera experience.
The cameras or screen here on my 2017 Bolt Premier are slightly blurry. Could this be a calibration item?

https://imgur.com/a/EDzAH

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The cameras or screen here on my 2017 Bolt Premier are slightly blurry. Could this be a calibration item?

The view on my '17 Premier looks pretty much the same. Never had this feature on any of our previous vehicles so I don't have a good point of comparison like you did your Leaf, but this pretty much does the job for me.

·
Premium Member
2,400 Posts

Try cleaning the cameras (front bumper, bottom of side view mirros, under rear hatch) with Windex or something and see if that helps at all. The rear backup camera resolution is pretty sucky TBH, but it's good enough to do what it's supposed to I guess.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try cleaning the cameras (front bumper, bottom of side view mirros, under rear hatch) with Windex or something and see if that helps at all. The rear backup camera resolution is pretty sucky TBH, but it's good enough to do what it's supposed to I guess.
I recently did a full wash with extra attention to the cameras. It was better (still winter-ish here) but just doesn't seem focused - or maybe I'm just too used to HD resolutions?
It is definitely better than not having cameras but the Nissan system had about 2/3 of the screen with surround vision & 1/3 with front or back. Opposite of the Chevy approach & the camera quality was significantly better.

·
Registered
594 Posts

Similar to what I get. I have limited experience with these on other cars, but I did ride in a rental Mercedes SUV, and the resolution struck me as much better in the Merc.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I recently did a full wash with extra attention to the cameras. It was better (still winter-ish here) but just doesn't seem focused - or maybe I'm just too used to HD resolutions?
I have a theory that the front and rear cameras are deliberately designed with relatively low resolutions so that less processing is required to stitch their outputs together with the side mirror camera outputs to create the surround view.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a theory that the front and rear cameras are deliberately designed with relatively low resolutions so that less processing is required to stitch their outputs together with the side mirror camera outputs to create the surround view.
Agreed, Maybe be next step is the true 360 camera view... LOL!

Check out the 3 minute mark on the Rolls Royce cameras -
:)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Agreed, Maybe be next step is the true 360 camera view... LOL!

Check out the 3 minute mark on the Rolls Royce cameras - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBIkJSpqcFs :)
good god, that is amazing. i guess on an option package that costs almost as much as our cars, it's to be expected :) i do like the door swing estimate too, very cool to make sure you're not going to get door dings when your chauffeur opens the door for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anyway to swap out the camera? For a 2019 EV, its pretty pathetic. The camera is great for 5" screen or the rear view camera mirror. But for a 10.2" screen? Gonna need a better camera.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyway to swap out the camera? For a 2019 EV, its pretty pathetic. The camera is great for 5" screen or the rear view camera mirror. But for a 10.2" screen? Gonna need a better camera.
Probably not what you want to hear - and if someone does have a way to upgrade these, I'm listening - but they are functional and you will get used to it. #loweredexpectations :)

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier
26 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear - and if someone does have a way to upgrade these, I'm listening - but they are functional and you will get used to it. #loweredexpectations :)
I understood that Chevrolet updated the installed cameras to HD for surround vision starting in the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have a 2020 Premier and no complaints about the quality of the surround camera or backup camera - looks HD to me.
Indeed. GM after '19 model year upgraded to "HD" cameras and added functionality (e.g. right side curb view).

I have a '19 Premier and had rented a '17 Premier for a day. I'd also test driven another new '19 before buying. The pre-'20 Bolts w/o "HD" cameras simply have awful image quality vs. Nissan Around View Monitor on my '13 Leaf SV w/premium and a previous '13 Leaf SV w/both packages.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.