Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between the Bolt and the new, new Leaf. I'm military and have one more tour in Europe before I am done with that. Basically 2018 Bolt or 2019 Leaf (60kWh). The only problem is that CCS is different in Europe vs the USA. As such I would be stuck using an AC convertor cable to get the car charged. If I could swap connectors for the Type 2 CCS that the Ampera E uses, and everything on the vehicle side remained compatible -- I'd be set. Otherwise Chademo is the same everywhere, but seems to be losing as none of the car manufacturers are investing in infrastructure. Plus I'd rather change cars now than later.

So: is it possible to swap the SAE combo port for the Type 2 and then back later?

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
I seriously doubt that there is any reasonably easy/cost effective way to swap charge ports. I haven't been there, but I keep hearing that distances between towns is much less. The onboard charger will add ~28 miles per hour, and with over 200 miles range, you shouldn't need to fast charge during the day, unless you are planning some really long trips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they are Phoenix Contact brand, the mounting would use the same holes, and it's a matter of where it connect to in the car and how easily that changes. I imagine there is a procedure for replacing the charge port in the event it becomes damaged/corroded...so just figuring out a: what the actual parts are and b: what needs to be moved.

The Chevy Part number appears to be 24282521, but I can't find any diagrams of that area of the car.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The protocols are the same - it is only the plug that is different. Aren't there converters to allow plugging one into the other?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The protocols are the same - it is only the plug that is different. Aren't there converters to allow plugging one into the other?
There are ones that allow the AC to hookup, but I haven't seen ones that would allow DCFC. It'd be fine if the Bolt supported 3phase AC (42KW). But I'd like to be able to DCFC while in Europe. I know on the Volt swapping the plugs was about four screws and unclipping the connector behind the plug. Not sure how different the DCFC plug is on the Bolt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the Chevrolet Bolt EV with DC charging option and exported it to Europe. As in Europe we do not have the Type charging stations and I replace the Type 1 DC charger with Opel Ampera E DC charger. The normal AC charger works fine, but the DC charger doesnt work. I have the error message P302B , Lock actuator position low voltage. Does anyone knows what needs to be done in order for the DC charger Type 2 to work in Europe? I was under impression , that its a direct swap???

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the Chevrolet Bolt EV with DC charging option and exported it to Europe. As in Europe we do not have the Type charging stations and I replace the Type 1 DC charger with Opel Ampera E DC charger. The normal AC charger works fine, but the DC charger doesnt work. I have the error message P302B , Lock actuator position low voltage. Does anyone knows what needs to be done in order for the DC charger Type 2 to work in Europe? I was under impression , that its a direct swap???
Did you ever figure this out? I was thinking of shipping my bolt over to Germany. I have seen an adapter for SAE to Mennekes fast charging but I don’t know if it works and it’s about $1,000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts